Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

what are the chances they just forgot

nicethyme
16 years ago

Been 4 days since the last MRI and last time they called the next day and said there were no findings but the Dr would talk with me about that on my scheduled follow up...

No call this time... maybe they forgot to call right? that could happen its a busy place. Why do they make those "we don't want you to worry calls" anyway? Don't they think it would be obvious to a patient when they don't call...

so if there is bone squeezing my spine, how do you recken that would get fixed... surgery?

Comments (50)

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I would guess surgery NT, BUT they have so many different types that aren't that invasive..but I can't say this out of experience.

You need to call them though...don;t wait for them...call them until they give you an answer. Even if they are busy you are a person and not a test reading and they need to give you the person an answer!!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

If it's a busy place, and it's a Monday, maybe they got backed up over the weekend. Ya never know.
    Give em a call in the morning. No need worrying about it.
    Don't know how they'd fix the bone thing. But I do know surgery has come a LONG way. The important thing is to get you healthy again!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, the follow up appt is tomorrow afternoon so I'll let it ride til then. I guess if there is something shown in this MRI I should be relieved that it means a diagnosis and not more tests and guesses hey?

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Knowing is always better than not knowing. Waiting just outright sucks!! My DH has gone through all kinds of MRI's and such for various ailments. (He's 12 yrs older than me.)When his hand started tingling they did an MRI and found out he had compressed vertebrates and were able to fix it with physical therapy and a "neck weight" that he used for thirty minutes each night. (30 lbs of water hung over a door)That was a painful experience for him, but the alternative was surgery at that point. I guess I'm just saying that there MAY be an alternative to surgery. I'll be think of you tomorrow and praying for the least invasive plan to fix it!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

not enough compression to explain the symptoms but MS is now back on the list (thought that was ruled out by brain MRI) as the report says they see possible lesions on the spinal cord...

Guess what, MRI number 3 is coming up next probably followed by spinal fluid sample.. oh goody

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

OMG NT! I've checked the forum several times today hoping you were able to get a diagnosis. I am very sorry that there was no answer for you today. I hope you have this resolved very soon. I'm thinkin' 'bout 'ya and hoping for the best! Keep busy(I know you do that anyway.)and keep positive!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you sunshine.

Dh wants me to call the Dr and skip the MRI, just ask for the tap. Although from what I've read on MS diagnosis, it doesn't seem that fluid check is anymore decisive that MRI. I guess i'm just rolling with it hey? ... maybe with the contrast material, nothing abnormal will be seen on my spine? who knows right

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Oh Nice, I'm sorry you haven't found out anything definite yet! I have 2 sisters and a niece (and her MIL) that have MS so I know you do need to have an MRI and spinal tap for a definite diagnosis but since you already had one recently, I'm not sure why they would do another MRI. One of my sisters was kind of in denial about her numbness issues until an MRI and spinal confirmed it. They do need to get periodic MRI's to check to see if there are any new lesions. I do hope they figure this out soon for you. If you need any information, or have questions I could give your e-mail to my sister, just let me know.

Barb

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow Barb, that's alot of diagnosis in one family! At this point I'm in the "wait and see mode" and trying not to put too much credance into "vague, subtle and ill defined" signal? They could be wrong since it wasn't done with contrasting ...

Thanks for your offer of more info, I appreciate it.

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

well, I'm gonna have to be checking in over here every day now. NT...hope everything turns out okay for you. I know this "not knowing" must be driving you crazy. My thoughts are with you.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Oh Nice! that really sucks. You must be going nuts.
    Try to keep your spirits up. I'll be thinking about you.
    Keep us posted.

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow. NT haven't been here in a couple days. Sorry they haven't come up with anything and that MS could be in the picture!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well thanks all... it will be a while before the next MRI, evidently 3 in a row sends the insurance co into a tizzy so they'll make the Dr jump thru hoops first... I'll keep ya posted

just so ya know, I'll be away over the holiday... see ya

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, bless your heart, N.T. Hazie alerted me that you were having problems, so here I am on this side for the first time in I can't remember when. I am so danged sick at reading of your problem. You are immediately on my prayer list, darlin'. I think so much of you and admire your awesome talent. I wish I could be there and do something to cheer you up, but you seem to have a good attitude about it. I'm gonna bombard Heaven on my direct line for you.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

I don't know what brought me over here...
    But nice, really sorry to hear you have, what we call in my family "health issues". Aren't those MRI's fun!...not.
    But I did find out that I'm allergic to iodine (contrast solution) I'm not the praying type, but am the thinking of you type...so I wish you well.
    Linlee

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Well, I'm never ever checking in here...but here I am now.. Just want you to know Nice that you are in my thoughts and prayers.........I know the waiting game sucks big time......just want to get the diagnosis and get it fixed whatever it is.........keep a positive attitude......surround yourself with positive people...please keep us posted and the very best of luck and fond wishes.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wondering about you......you haven't been around all weekend.

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

She mentions above she'll be gone for the weekend.I know we're all concerned about her.

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm home, all is good. You all are so sweet, I love this group - I really do, you all make me feel so cared about!
    Whatever comes of this really doesn't change a thing for me, just keep on keeping on! right?

No word from the Dr.s office so just waiting for a call.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

We're pulling for you. No news is good news I say, from the DR. The worse you are the faster they call LOL.
    My mom had breast cancer ( beat THAT btw) and they called her THE SAME DAY she had the mammogram!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah Maria, that's definately not a good kind of "same day service" BTW, my mom too, double mastectomy.

well I spent my day trying to put this out of my head, came home to no messages and decided that it might be weeks before I get scheduled again. So when I got back from picking up the girls... there was the blinking light on the machine. I go back this Thurs afternoon. I guess it wasn't too hard to get approval from insurance after all.

now it's gonna be hard to get it outta my head! lol

Then I have no idea how long before I hear anything, because it sounded like he would likely schedule the lumbar puncture test before I followup with him...??? I'm confused by that but what the hey!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Maybe he wants to do both tests to be conclusive before he talks to you?
    I don't know. I'm not a doctor. Don't even play one on T.V.

Keep that chin up!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

The waiting game is worse than the diagnosis sometimes...just want to know what is wrong NOW and let's FIX IT! I had a scare few years ago and the waiting just about did me in..everything went through my mind......and then it was NOTHING! With all the modern technology, new medicines, etc...you will be just fine........just remember to keep positive thoughts, watch the comedy channel and breathe!!!! Thinking of you!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Who needs the comedy channel when you have us????

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Glad the insurance company isn't making your life hell too.
    Hang in there!

Hazie

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Cripes! So much, so fast. Hope you get an answer soon!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, me too. starting to feel more than just alittle numbing and I see where it has the potential to be more than an annoyance.... a bit more and I might call it pain...

It seems that what I described this morning as "feeling like a torniquet on my arm" I read tonight sound very much like an MS symptom

crap

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Nice,
    I know it's scary and hard, but try not to sink
    too deep into the MS world until you
    can get a firm diagnosis. There are many other,
    less frightening things it could be.
    Good luck to you,
    Linlee

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree Linlee, I'm trying not to read about the symptoms of anything in particular - I don't want to imagine that I have something I don't.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well gee the saga continues...argh
    I quit work at 3, come home change and drive to the hospital 4:30 on the nose for check in... they can't find me in the system UGH, oh but there's a Clough scheduled for tomorrow. You're kidding me.

So I leave, walk across the lot to the Dr's office. She pulls my chart and it says Thur at 5:00 (ok at least I didn't screw up) She calls the hospital, they say Fri...

dang it, tomorrow I get to take off early again and drive all that way AGAIN

somebody SHOOT ME!!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Oh nice! I feel for ya! I'm not going to be the one to shoot you though! Getting all prepared for the teting and then having to go through it all again tomorrow... really sucks! Keep hanging in!

Hazie

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Can't shoot ya'. You're needed and loved. too important to shoot, sorry. Also sorry the schdeduling got screwed up. Third party stuff-it can be like like playing gossip. Always gets messed up, doesnt it?

Hang on, not too long now, I hope!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Sorry there was a mixup in the schedule for your test...it sucks you have to go back again today. Hopefully, they come up with a diagnosis soon for you!

Barb

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

So.....how did the test(s) go?
    Been thinking about you all day.

Hazie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ah ha, my arm is bruising at the injection site so it must be over. howlalooya (I know that is NOT how you spell it) but hey! so now I expect I'll hear from the Dr's office by Wed? next week, either they'll call and say "everythings fine" or "we're scheduling a lumbar puncture" or "everythings fine and we're scheduling a lumbar puncture"

lets all sit back and enjoy the wait. lol

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Have you had the brainstorm testing?
    There's a fancier name for it that has
    slipped my mind at the moment...but essentially your hooked up to electrodes and looking at test patterns.
    I think my doc is putting off the fun lumbar testing till the last moment.
    Sorry, don't mean to be nosey, but I'm about right there with ya.
    In fact that's how I started this mosaic/glass stuff.
    Linlee

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

AW Nicethyme I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Several years ago I had pain and numb and loss of control in my arm and was very scared. Finally went to chiropractor because I do not have a doctor and it was a pinched nerve in my neck. He worked me over a few times and fixed it. Relief for me for sure. I hope they find out soon what is causing you troubles. The waiting is so awful for you. :^((

Chris

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linlee, what symptoms are you/ have you experienced?
    I had the EEG electrode flashing lights thingy and that was fine. As for the spinal tap - all I got to say is I hope the heck it ain't the same people who administer the gad cause man they really can't work a needle!!!

Chris, I was hopeful that this was a nerve pinch too but they couldn't see where I would have it both in the face and arm. Then I really thought that it was carpal tunnel and the face numbness was a fluke, but notta...

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

So glad you made it through all this so well! you are quite the trooper. I give you major props girl!

Hazie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Glad that part is over for you!!
    Now lets hope the rest goes quick!
    I'll have you in my thoughts.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

EEG...ah, that sounds familiar. I think I was
    searching for the term Evoked Potentials.
    My trip to the funhouse began last November with
    index & thumb twitching. Wouldn't have probably even noticed
    except I was neck deep in a landscape design and
    the twitching was messing up my mouse-clicking abilities.
    I got nervous when the Doc's office asked how soon I could be there. He said it's either Carpel Tunnel or MS...My response was "Whaaaat!?!". The neurologist totally blew off the CT test when I told him that my whole body vibrated too. Internal Tremor. So I had all of the tests minus the lumbar puncture.
    No spots. Kewl thing is they gave me the MRI CD to give the Doc and I put it on my laptop. Pretty eerie seeing your own brain.
    Anyway, lots of internal tremors, mostly at night. Occasional twitching, a few numb lips & nose episodes.
    I wish you a well trained tech with perfect aim...;o)
    Linlee
    Please feel free to email me if you need to talk.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Linlee, what did they say is the cause of your tremors? They have ruled out MS since you don't have any spots, right?

Barb

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Nothing...he's still waiting to rule it MS.
    Next MRI is in January, was scheduled for December
    but I'm not putting the family through that cr@p
    over the holidays again.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linlee, did they MRI your spine too? Geez, internal tremors sound dreadful.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

No, not yet anyway. It was my understanding (which could be wrong)
    that the c-spine was tested if you had facial symptoms.
    A nerve wiring thing.
    The tremors are only a nuisance when they wake me up.
    I literally buzz, but you can't see it.
    Have you had more symptoms than the facial numbness?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What had started out as numbness in the right arm, thumb and right face has become more of a slight tightening and does now spread across my mid line at times to give me those sensations on the left side. My right eye often feels cloudy like I just woke up. I've had dexteriety problems with my right hand and a couple of incidents where the arm "jerked" dropping or nearly throwing what I was holding. Then there's that right arm/ too much blood sensation like a torniquet. Luckily all of these anoyance seem rather quick to come and go, except for headaches which can be days at a time.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Isn't it funny, (I know, hardie har har) that people
    can be tested for the same disease and don't share
    any symptoms? When I started reading about this awhile back I saw something that diagnosing MS is basically ruling out other diseases...there was no definitive
    diagnosis.
    Have you seen an opthamologist about your eye?
    I happened to have had my annual eye exam at the same time I was being tested and the doc said that she could tell if
    my retina had been damaged by MS. It wasn't, though I
    was worried because of some fuzzy vision too. Turns out
    I just needed my first pair of reading glasses.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

strangely, the only thing I can figure about my eye is laziness cause if I close the left, the right will focus. Nuerologist has not detected any damage to my optic nerve either.

Yeah I agree, evidently this is one of those things that effects everyone differently.

here's to niether one of us having any reason for our symptoms! cheers

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Sláinte. Salute. Kanpai. Bottoms up!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

OMG....well, I've been gone and am just catching up.

NT, please continue to keep us updated. I think of you often. And linlee...my thoughts are also with you, too!!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals