Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gibsona_gw

Empty nest

gibsona
15 years ago

I have never come on here and just "verbal vomited" all over ya'll, but I'm just soo depressed! As I mentioned in my post on the other side, both of my kids, 22 and 20 moved out in August - the SAME week. I knew it would be tough for a while, but it seems like it's just getting worse. I've gotten to where I go to work for 12, 13, 14 hours a day just so I can pretend that's the reason I'm so messed up. When actually, I come to work so I don't have to realize I'm home by myself. Never been very outgoing so feeling pretty isolated. . . .Thanks for letting me whine at you. I'm hoping ya'll will tell me that this really does get better. . . .

Take care!

Ann

Comments (13)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, GIBS: I sympathize w/you sooooo very much. Been there and cried my heart out. Guess what? THEY COME BACK - SEVERAL TIMES!!!!!!!! I DO remember the first time, though, when the first one went to college, being so depressed - both my DH and I were. He cried too. Then when she came back for the summer it was wonderful. We were in Costa Rica at the time. Then while she was home, we were transferred, and we all four got to the next posting, and b/f we fully unpacked, they BOTH went off to college. I cried again, but began setting up the house, cleaning, bawling, cleaning, bawling, and THEN it happened. We got so busy w/our hobbies and working on the house - whatever, and things got better. Well, next thing we knew, it was time for them to come home for the summer. I remember saying to my DH "Honey, do you think we'll find time for the kids this summer?" Then, as the years passed, they got married etc., they both returned home at separate times for different reasons, and every time they left, I cried. Oh, I should stop here and say I used to cry when they went back to school in the fall - from grade school on - EVERY YEAR I cried. Well let me tell you NOW I CRY just at the THOUGHT that one would want to come home. I LOVE being alone. You'll get better, girlie. This w/pass, and you'll find sooooooooooo many things, especially your art, to fill up your time. ENJOY IT!!!!!

• rchovey
    15 years ago

You produced 2 adults. That's positive. Feel good about yourself, you have succeeded. It's when they hang on and can't stand alone that we have failed. It's time for you to celebrate. It's your time to flourish, bloom, and grow. Don't spend so much time at work. Get in your mosaic mode and create. Connect with the Creator and let it happen. Celebrate life, you've earned it!

Blessings
    Ramona

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Ann, that's was they're Supposed to do! Seriously, I can't say it any better than what Slowmedown and rchovey said. I totally understand your feelings; my two little chicks grew up and moved away (they kept coming back tho') but I think they are finally on their own (ages 42 and 45, haha) so try to turn it around to be a positive thing and spread your wings! Mosaic! Don't stay at work! What type of tesserae do you like the best? What color? email me and I'll send you some: silvahayes at gmail.com . . .

• gibsona
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awww. Ya'll are the sweetest! Thanks for letting me know it's a normal thing. I know it'll get better. Just writing to ya'll helped. I actually opened my curtains at home and worked in my yard and played.
    Big Hugs to you all!
    Ann

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Hugs to you too. I meant what I said; the offer stands; email silvahayes at Gmail.com. I have at least a thousand pounds of tesserae - stained glass, nipped plates, tiles, etc. What do you like best?

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well bless your heart. Glad you got those drapes opened. It's a NEW day. Get out there and enjoy it, play in the dirt, break something, glue it to something else. What a nice gesture, SILVAMAE! Aren't we the best forum around?

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Honey, this is the first time I've checked this side in a long while, and I'm so sorry, 'cause I would have been right here to give you the biggest hug. ((((((((()))))))))
    We spend 20 years or more with these children of ours and they become out best friends and hardest challanges. Roots and wings......that's our gift to them. Let them fly. As the others said, they're homing pigions. They'll be back warming your hearth with tales from the hinterlands (that enrich their AND your lives) and requests for cookies.

• gibsona
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ya'll are just awesome! Roots & Wings - thanks Daisy. I like that. I actually got goosebumps cuz I can feel your hug. . .And, here I thought I didn't have any friends. Ya'll are absolutely the best friends anyone could ask for! Silvamae, I'm gonna take you up on your generous offer. Will try to get email out today. Hope you each have a wonderful day!
    Ann

• rchovey
    15 years ago

Ann, don't ever feel like you don't have friends! We are more than friends....we are kindred spirits...we are family! Don't hesitate to send me an email any time you need an ear.

Ramona

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Hey, Gibs....how ya doin'?

• gibsona
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Doing better, Daisy! Thanks for checking on me. Actually took last Friday off from work!! Am working on redoing son's bedroom into MY craft room - nothing as cute as Flag's but it's something. Will try to get pictures this weekend. Appreciate knowing people are thinking bout me.
    Take Care! Ann

• meadel
    15 years ago

ahhh, I got goosebumps too reading this thread ! What wonderful friends abound here !
    Ann I think of you often, especially when I light the beautiful lamp you made! It is sitting here beside me now giving me a soft warm glow. I can't wait to see your new space ! I am using my son's old room for my workroom now and although I miss him..I really love having my own craft area. My dear son can have the couch when he comes to visit !

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I wish I cried and got depressed about my kids leaving the nest...oh no...I had to go out and get replacement models...yup, two high maintenance dogs!!! How can a 6lb yorkie and a 8lb chihuahua run a persons life???!!! I am so busy spoiling them, I don't have Time to miss those lovely brats of mine!!!lol! I think a wonderful thing to do...a suggestion...is to look at community courses in your town, and treat yourself to one! Art&crafts, meditaion, whatever...it's a way to get your brain on something new and different! (And it's cheaper than pets!lol!!!) I don't have time to think now that I've met Cindy/Klinger..as she is so busy hauling me off to thrift stores and Mexico all the time!!!lol!!! And of course checking in here with all my other GardenWeb buddies!!! Yup, This too shall pass!! Jane

Sponsored