Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyme_gw

MRSA Info needed

daisyme
14 years ago

My SIL has an MRSA infection. She is not just colonized, but is actually infected and is being treated. Our family and her friends are reluctant to visit her during her chemo because of all the frightening information about on the web about MRSA. I'm looking for clear information about it. Can anyone help with current information? Not one site I have found tells us clearly if it's safe to visit her without exposing ourselves, even the main teaching hospital sites. I am visiting her outdoors and being careful of contact. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Comments (7)

• silvamae
    14 years ago

My granddaughter contracted this two years ago so I have done a lot of research on it. Visiting your SIL outdoors and being careful of contact will probably be okay. The elderly, the very young, and those with compromised immune systems are most vulnerable. It is spread by skin contact. Here is a link for a booklet on this subject that seems to be comprehensive. I am glad that your SIL has you to visit her; she must really be frightened.

Here is a link that might be useful: MRSA booklet

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Silvamae, thank you. I'll read it right away.

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate your sending that very much, Silvamae. It's the best information I've seen so far and we've all been trying to research it for a month. The hardest thing in OUR case is that my SIL takes very little responsibility or care of herself in our regard. I will continue to visit outdoors I think, where I don't have to worry about touching things. I just can't leave her to go through all of this alone. Did your granddaughter eventually manage to get over it? I sure hope so. A nurse I talked to said it's been totally blown out of proportion by the media, but I know it can be deadly...especially for those infected and not strong. Thank you again.

• silvamae
    14 years ago

Fingers crossed, no sign of it for a year now. They say it can recur so we watch for it. She is a strong, healthy 9 year old. It started with a few red spots on her foot. Her dad sprayed her foot with some over-the-counter athlete's foot spray. It got worse; suddenly spread all over her body. Very scary. My husband took her to a dermatologist and they did a culture. They gave her oral antibiotics and a topical cream.

Visiting outdoors, and no touching, sounds quite safe. Good luck and please, continue to update us. Take care.

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much again. I'm so glad your grandaughter's all right for now and hope it doesn't come up again for her. Your information was very much appreciated.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Daisy I just saw your post. Your SIL probly wouldnt have gotten the MRSA if not for her chemo. If you arent sharing towels or bedclothes or making contact with open wounds or have any wounds yourself, and you wash your hands thoroughly after visits, there is very little chance of your getting this. I hope she gets better soon!

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, WW. We're trying to handle this, and your confidence makes me feel better. I'm being careful. I just wish I could settle the rest of the family down. There is so much bad information on this infection around.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner