Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

A painted bunting visited us last week . . .

silvamae
15 years ago

>

Comments (17)

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

WOW!!! thats truely beautiful

• shrty411
    15 years ago

I love when I get an unexpected "Visitor" at my feeders!!

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

What a lovely bird. I am so thrilled with the amount and type of birds I find here in TX. PJ

• silvamae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This year for the first time we hung net bags filled with thistle seed, and we get the most adorable little songbirds with yellow breasts and a bit larger songbird with a red breast; I have never seen them before. Sometimes there will be 15 or 20 hanging on one bag of thistle.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! He is beautiful!!! That pic could be a great mosaic project!!! What colors!!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness. Have never seen that bird. What a wonderful creature. God is such an artist!!! I looked at this picture for oh so long.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Glorgeous! Didn't know we got 'em down here! May be because of your location in the Hill COuntry....understand they don't "go" for the city.....What a lovely sight to have right in your backyard! My birdfeeders mainly attract sparrows...but do get some blue jays, Mexican and white wing dove. Rarely see one of my favorites- crows (for some bizarre reason I love to watch them strut around like they own the place). LOL!

Pat

• silvamae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, we are lucky to live in the country. However, there is so much building around here, it is fast becoming suburbia. The painted bunting has been sighted twice more since I posted the photo; that's way unusual for us. Guess what, I love crows also! They are very interesting to me. I have been thinking about painting one on a kind of golden autuum background.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

That bunting is just beautiful! I would be SO happy to see one in MY yard! I have to go to the Bird Park to see ones so colorful. This is a couple of Lories for those of you that enjoy colorful bird photos.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!!!! That is soooooo beautiful. Wouldn't this be a great mosaic? There are several artists on this forum that could capture that beauty in glass. I LOVE those birds.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Me too, Slow. And I would love to see someone take on that project. I know that Cindiloo has done at least one lovely bird on a glass block. Someday I hope to be able to do that too!

And who can resist a beautiful bird? Here's another trio I found in Hawaii. I'm using these three as my screen saver.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How GORgeous!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

OMG! I used to raise Lories and raised a couple of mccaws as well, along with smaller birds and cockatoos!
    At one time I had an incubator of 6 cockatoo eggs we hatched and raised, and over 150 african greys naked babies.
    I had to give up breeding and raising cuz it broke my heart to sell them.
    Feeding for breeders was easier emotionally, but feeding babies every 2 hours round the clock for 4 years was kinda much.
    I lost the last two birds I had recently. I had a peach front conure, 8 years, and an indian ringneck, 6yrs, they both flew away when I stepped on the cats tail as I was taking them to thier outside cage.
    I hadn't clipped thier wings when I should of.
    I still hammer myself over that and miss them sooo much.
    Thanks for the pictures, I sure brought back memories.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Texas. I am so sorry you lost your birds. What a shame.

I love all birds and have quite a collection of ceramic ones about the house. They have to look pretty real and be a separate sitting little bird to make it to my collection. I've got them tucked everywhere, and when I started making the bird houses, they really worked together.

I raised two humming bird babies once that had fallen out of their nest. They were naked little things when someone brought them into the natural history museum where I was a docent. I got an eye dropper, put some sugar water and turtle food in it and they thrived! That 24 hour a day thing wasn't easy for the first couple of weeks, and one day I forgot to take them with me in the morning, so my dad took them to work to feed them. LOL They finally graduated to flowers from our back yard which we hung in their cage and were released when they could fly. It was really an experience.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

i have seen some blue buntings here, but that painted bunting is beautiful.
    i have eastern blue birds, i love to watch them.
    i hung a mosaiced gourd on the back porch, just to get it out of my way, and a carolina wren moved right in, they nest in some really peculiar places.
    sorry to hear about ya'll losing birds, animals are like kin, hurts to lose them, after the loss of my yorkie, i swore i will never have another pet, just too hard to let them go.
    bonnie

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Daisy, I too have a bird collection. Not to large tho.
    I prefer vintage ceramic birds.
    You would of thought all those years I did ceramics I would have done more birds.
    I used to take my babies (if I only had a couple) with me to church! I would just slip out and feed them. I was able to keep them in an office.
    I have never fed hummers. I have rescued mockingbirds, doves,ducks and just recently a cardinal.
    We are definately animal people around here.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Texas, it's fun to hear about your bird rescues and your collection. I've only seen cardinals twice and they're just so wonderful. I really enjoyed their beautiful song that I didn't expect. I wish we had them here.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022