Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
horse head sculpture

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 13:26

hey,

I've finally finished a sculpture that I didn't mosaic. Meet Gus... he 's concrete over polystyrene

La Reina Ann's Gusto

1 La Reina Ann's Gusto 2012 by Candace Clough

2 La Reina Ann's Gusto 2012 by Candace Clough

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: horse head sculpture

He looks like real iron .I love it.

o

Oh my word, NT. That is absolutely mind boggling. It looks like a real metal sculpture. Where are you using that little number?

o

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!! Oh Man YOU Nailed it!!! What an artist you are...LOVE this!

o

he's for sale, going to an art show on Dec 1st but has been at a shop for months and will return there if he's not gone on the 1st.

o

How did the sale go? I can't believe how good you are at sculpturing the foam. Wish I could do that. A couple yrs. back, when I was in PV during Riana's class, she said the foam things mosaicists were making wouldn't hold up as long as the works in her technique. Do you know the life expectancy of the polystyrene for exterior works? In my case, it surely would be easier to switch to it. It is becoming more difficult for me to cut the lath. However, I don't even know where to get the polystyrene. Probably not in Texarkana, so might would have to order it?

o

That horse is amazing.

o

I can't see them not holding up, it would require UV to break it down and if its entirely encased in concrete then there is no exposure. I think there's is just as much chance of the lath corrosion from chem reaction with in cement... can't say one is going to be better that the other over time I'd think

o

Thanks for your input. If I EVER have any free time again, I'm checking out a source for the poly stuff. However, my sculpting is AWFUL. I'll be soooooo nervous, cuz once it's cut, if there's a mistake - how the hay w/you mend it?

o

ooh no problem, I do it all the time, just use gorilla glue to add more bulk. I had the issue with my horse - the forehead was too low and so I cut off the ears and scalp and glued more material in - then cut it to shape after

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here