Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Taking a Trip Today

texaswild
16 years ago

Off to see my DD today at Cenikor. She has been there long enough to earn privileges and visitors. I have to attend an Open House first, then there is a one-yr. anniversary of one of the residents, so it'll be a long evening. W/all the thinking rolling around in my head I've been awake since 1:00 AM. W/be a very long day - the drive is more than five hrs. on boring LA highways. I'm originally from LA, so I can complain about the highways - hardly any rest stops or businesses along the way as in TX. **sigh**. W/stop at Bro's/Mo's on the way back for a couple days, then watch out - no yard work, just mosaicing for a few days cuz I'm sooooooo into withdrawals. See y'all middle of next week.

Comments (17)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

well Slow, I hope that you get to have a visit with your daughter that fills your heart with relief and joy. Enjoy your family time!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting us know so we won't worry! I was JUST looking at all my Riana pics again...SUCH a great weekend...Hope this one is EVEN BETTER for you, if that's possible :)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad she has earned her visit with you, Be careful driving!

• cait1
    16 years ago

Safe trip and have a wonderful time!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I hope everything went well!!

• cadonna
    16 years ago

Hi Slow-See I do come over here sometimes! Just hoping your trip went well and the time with your dd was good. Let us know when you're home safe and sound.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Made it home yesterday afternoon - TIRED TO THE BONE. The six hr. trip to B.R. is a killer, then the activities Sat. night and from 11:00-3:00 Sunday - our first earned visit - was happy and sad. She has made it over four months, and when I heard the stories from her and her buddy, I don't know how ANYONE makes it through two yrs. of the program. It's like the Marine Corps - only the strong, serious-about-changing-behavior folks make it. Three of those months, she's been sick - pneumonia a couple months ago, and she has been on anti biotics all that time, and can't shake it. I so covet your prayers for her to get well so she can continue. Stopped at Bro's, Sunday night but wanted to get home so bad, I just couldn't stay but the one night, as much as Mo/Bro urged me to stay longer and go fishing right outside their back yard. Thanks for y'all's interest and concern. Love y'all!!!!!

• joyy
    16 years ago

i haven't been around much and didn't realize that your daughter was there. good for her - i see lots of women with addiction issues through my work and it's one long road but it sounds like a very serious program.

my ex used to counsel at a place that was a 28 day turn around and i don't think it was enough time to make serious behavioural changes. a lot of them ended up slipping right after 'graduating'.

anyway, good luck to your dd and i hope she feels better soon. :)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, JOYY. She was in MANY 28-day programs, and even a six-week one a couple yrs. ago, but kept slipping and getting nearer death each time, so if she graduates, I told her she'd be practically bullet-proof. This program teaches one to cope w/ANY kind of stressful problem and to make better choices in life. I have faith that her life w/be different when she comes out. She kept saying "If I had only listened to AA and followed the teachings, and I'll never take AA for granted again, or be ungrateful for anything". Thanks again for concern.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

So glad you made it home safely Slow. I'm sure your visit with your DD was a bittersweet and emotional moment for you as well as her. I think the years of her drinking have messed with, and lowered her immune system which is why she keeps getting sick. Eventually her immune system will be stronger and she will be healthy. How long do you have to wait until you are able to see her again?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Lordy, CRAFTY. I hate to think of that subject cuz they have family night every Sat. night, and she can schedule a special four-hr. meeting on the next day, but that trip is LONG and very tiring. I can tolerate a three-hr. trip to Dallas, but six hrs. is tough, so I don't know when I'll go back - probably in a couple months. She cried so much as I was leaving I was afraid she'd get in trouble for it, and promised her I'd come often as possible. **sigh**.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Dear Slow...you shouldn't feel badly about not going to see her more frequently, I think you will be giving her something to look forward to, and this also helps her to strive for independence. Even if you were seeing her every weekend I'm sure she would still be very emotional when it came time for you to leave, and she might start taking the visits for granted and not appreciate them as much...did that make sense?

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Dear Slow. I'm giving you a great ((((BIG HUG)))!!

I've added you and your dd to my prayer group prayer list for both of you to find health and soul healing.

Crafty is so right!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Yep Slow, I wish I could give you a big hug too!
    I'm keeping yall in my prayers.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!! I can now go to bed and sleep. You ladies have NO IDEA how this warms my heart and soul. God uses people in our lives to help us, and y'all have positively been a help to me today. THANK YOU - EVERYONE OF YOU, and THANK YOU, LORD for this wonderful forum, made up of the most amazing group of supporters I've ever had the privilege of knowing.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Slow, glad to hear your daughter is sticking with the program. This is all very emotional for her, I'm sure, but that's what the program is for...to TEACH her to cope. Hope her physical health improves along with her mental health!! I think of her often

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bless you, SHRTY. Y'all make me feel so good.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022