Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

My New Craft Room...WIP!

ladyronnie
16 years ago

I am finally getting a new craft room! We have begun an addition to The Barnhouse, and when it's all done, we'll have a new (bigger!) bedroom, expanded living room, moved dining room, opened-up entry (cause the dining table won't be in it anymore), and MY NEW CRAFT ROOM. MY room is actually getting completed first, but unfortunately it is going to be an interim bedroom for us while we tear out two walls of our present bedroom to expand the living room and then finish our new bedroom. YES, I have pics...

Me nailing floor joists for the craft room

Same area now decked

Same area now framed in...note the GOG on the floor, and the framed window space waiting for it...

Same area, wall now dry-walled (I did all that!), GOG in place (sorry, it's dark out, can't see it too well)

This is far as I/we have gotten. DH is out of town this weekend. I am trying to get all the drywall up in this room before he gets home, but had the flu or 24 hour bug or something last night and into today, so didn't work on it til this after noon/evening. But it'sa comin'!!!

Comments (7)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. Girlie, you are one talented LADY! WOW - where did you learn to do all that heavy work?? I feel your excitement. You w/LOVE working in your own space. I was thinking you made that GOG for a coffee table. This is just wonderful and I'll watch this project unfold. Do you have an estimated time of completion? Glad you have your priorities straight - your craft room first!!! Yeah!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi SLOW, thanks for the kudos. It's a labor of love :) And we do everything kind of Learn As You Go! Well, DH has done some construction work, so not entirely going in blind, but we do do a lot of head scratching and figuring out how to work with what we've got. This part of the Barnhouse however we're using all new materials, which more expensive, but SO much easier than using scrounged stuff like we did on the rest of the house. There IS a lot of satisfaction in looking at what we've done with what we had though also.

The GOG WAS a coffee table top, but it just LONGED to be displayed where the sun could shine through it, and that is a south wall so gets lots of sun. Think I'll go take a pic of it now with the sun through it so you can see...
    OK, here tis:

It's partly cloudy out, but there's a snowy roof ten feet away that's reflecting a lot anyway. Those lines in the closeup are the cables that raise and lower the curtains on the outside, which we haven't cut back beyond this room yet. (The barn has/had one long window down each side with a big long curtain that was raised or lowered for ventilation.) I really should post pics of the whole Barnhouse project one of these days...

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yes ma'am, pictures of your whole barn experience w/be most welcome. I envy you, cuz I've wanted to have a loft or barn for sooooo long. I renovated a three-story Victorian, but it wasn't as much fun as a rustic barn or old store bldg. w/be to live in. Too old to move now, or I'd still go for it. I know you're having a wonderful time, and I also know that this type of work has it's good days and bad days, and nightmares as well as sweet dreams. It's a great experience for young people as yourself. You're doing a great job. Thanks for the closeup of the window. What a clever idea to use it this way.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

How WONDERFUL!!! Just everything Slow said...with Exclamation points!!!

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

I am so impressed at the craftmanship and the beauty. The window is a dream and I know you will love your space. It is great to have a place that you can work and everyone else can not complain of you having your stuff all over everything.
    I am so proud of you. You go gal. keep up the good work.
    Carol

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mudding and taping drywall is SUCH a slow process, especially when you make the same major mistake on every seam to start with. I'm plodding along, most of the long seams done and all the corners started. But the farm work is really starting to interfere with the fun stuff (ok, drywall is not "fun", but looking forward to the end product is!)

• cait1
    15 years ago

I hardly ever come over to this side. What you'r doing is FANTASTIC!!! I spent 6 months making over the bathroom and putting up that darned cement sheet was the WORST job... I don't even want to talk about taping and mudding. I STINK at it!! I watch all the DIY shows and watch how they do it - even had a drywall guy give me pointers... it's a miserable, difficult job so don't get too frustrated with it. Once it's painted and you have things hanging on the walls IF there are any mistakes you won't really see them. I think you're doing a fabulous job and I can't wait to see more pics!!!

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County