Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

sometimes I get carried away...

nicethyme
17 years ago

but I always look forward to a chance to make a costume - LOVE Halloween! lol the thing is, I can't sew but I'm a creative gluer!

here is DD as Queen Elizabeth 1st for an oral book report where they had to get in character.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (35)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here's a Halloween shot from many years ago. DD1 is a woodland fairy and DD2 is a mushroom

{{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    17 years ago

OHGOODGRIEF! Multi-talent! Amazing. Lucky girls to have a mumsy like you. I remember the days when I did the same thing. Made all mine and their clothes until they went to college, and I got into quilting. No more sewing here except for an occasional decorative piece and the crazy quilt/gypsie handbags I make. Mosaicing has eaten up all my other hobbies. Great job, girlie.

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Very Cool, Nicethyme- I've always loved Halloween too, especially creating the costumes. Here is a pic of my kids and I wore to a Reniassance Wedding a couple of Summers ago. Alex's costume was actally his Halloween costume from the year before- he wanted to be Sir Robin, from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow! You girls are so multi-talented!
    I made a few costumes for my girls, but nothing quite like those! Those are all really something. Beautiful job girls!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Tasy, those are awesome. What a cool wedding idea. I know of one that was 20s garb - women all as flappers, men with fedoras... that would be so fun.

Last year DD2 picked for Halloween - Dorthy in Wizard of Oz. I'll have to dig that one up. DD1 was the scarecrow.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well that was easier than I expected - a rare moment where I actually labeled a disk! You can see the Redhead was extremely happy to be Dorthy.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Wow, those are all great. I can't sew and don't like to!!

Those are all impressive to me!

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Beautiful costumes, TASY, and again, NICE. Y'all make me miss my kids!

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

These are great costumes! Nice, I can't believe you did all of those without sewing!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

AWE, sorry Slow. My mom says she see's little ghosts playing out in her yard, the ghosts of children long grown up.

so far this costume is coming together pretty good. At gw yesterday I found a blue velor maternity shirt that has become a great side laced tunic that I decorated with gold embellished ribbon. A red silk shirt that I removed the collar and lined the ends of the sleeves with a little strip of fur. I found a blue satin night gown, a red taffetta skirt and a red silk tapestry skirt - plan to layer all those in different lengths and use the left over blue satin for the "wimple" - head thingy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finished up last night - woo hoo, I can get back to mosaicing! lol

The banquet is tonight right after school so when I go in to help her change I'll get some pics. This is the best costume I have ever made. There was a lot more sewing than I'm used to (hand sewing only, I can't even thread a machine) They're holding a contest on costumes so we'll see how I did (I mean my DD! LOL)

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Good Luck!! ( uh, I mean your DD LOL)

Maria

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

ALL of the costumes are absolutely WONDERFUL! So imaginative! I like them soooo much better than bought costumes, where everyone looks alike!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just got back from dressing her and dropping off our food item. MAN, the costumes are unbelievable! It's grades 3rd, 6th, 7th, and 8th (because they study the medieval history) so you can well imagine the variety of costumes, even the adults must dress up. competition is going to be tough! but I must say DD is the only one donning a henin - the big heart shaped head dress of 15c noblewomen! lol

I took pics but Dh kept the camara so he can get more of the event.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Ooooooo - anxious to see pics. You are soooo talented - especially since you said you sew everything by hand. I did all my quilts by hand also, so can appreciate what went into the costumes. One time when I was on R&R in the states, I was in a motel, got bored, went to the fabric store and bought fabric, and sewing supplies, and started a broomstick skirt cuz I couldn't stand NOT to be doing something creative. The skirt still hangs in my closet and I wear it occasionally. I made about 35 Gypsie handbags by hand also. It's really more relaxing to sew by hand. Can't wait for pics.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SHE WON! LOL and she had a great time.

Evidently people were amazed at the boots I made, but hey the footwear needed to match the clothes!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow! nice, CONGRATS!!!!!!!
    THAT'S SO GREAT! What a great feeling that must be?!
    You are just so talented.

Hazie

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

What pictures and what lucky little girls.I could never do that in million years.You could open your own shop doing all sorts of things..IF>> you had time of course.Annie

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Congratulations!!

I used to make my son his Halloween costumes, too. One year he was a Minuteman - complete with three-cornered hat. He had a royal fit in the fabric store because I chose a polyester blend for the coat rather than wool ($$$). He was THREE YEARS OLD and it looked adorable when it was done (I even sewed doll hair to the hat so he looked like he was wearing a powdered wig) !

In 2nd grade the school had a school-wide unit on immigration in the 20's through 40's via Ellis Island. I made him a delightful costume of a German Immigrant, and since I participated, I made one for me, too. That was so much fun.

Some of it still rubs off on him because he loves to go to Goodwill and find weird suits and clothes to wear with his band . . . .they are all looking like the Sargeant Pepper album now!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's funny Wench! sounds like we have the same craziness.

I am really hoping that my girls will also enjoy doing these things with their children one day or simply just appreciate what their crazy ma used to do LOL

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Wow Great costume. Deserves 1st place, for sure

Maria

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Excellent job, Nicethyme!
    You know, I'd much rather to to a thrift shop to get material for costumes! Old prom dresses are wonderful to work with, and you can get lots of fabric from some of those XXL skirts!! Here is a pic of my son's prom outfit a couple of years ago. He was in Madrigals, and had to wear a tux everytime he turned around, so when it came time to dress for a formal dance he opted to go with something off the wall. We based this loosely on a character on one of his favorite video games. Man, I put alot of hours into this crazy get-up!

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Oh dear God, it's like a guy's leather bustier!!

I am SO not showing my son this photo or I'll end up doing the same thing you did.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG TASY - that is AWESOME! are those belts?

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Yup! I found a variety of belts at Goodwill and riveted them to a vest. It was really pretty easy. Here's another pic, of just the vest.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Jaw on the floor in awe of the talent of both you l'il artists, and my congratulations to the darlin kids wearing the results of your efforts.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

WOW!!!Everybody has done above and beyond!!! I used to make barbie clothes when I was a kid, Barbie HAD to be a Go Go dancer!LOL!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OKay, Halloween 07 my girls were witches but the little one HAD to be a good witch as she never strays far from the princess look! LOL

{{!gwi}}

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Very cool creations NT! Love how you get into the costume spirit!! Those hats are the bomb!!

But, I am wondering, do you have trouble with the washing and brushing of all that hair?! My DD's hair is only shoulder length, but man she hates to have me mess with it anymore, for any reason!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to tell you this... Brier, my oldest, is included in the ad for her school in the newspapers, as Queen Elizabeth I

And last summer the school put a float in the local parade, with a Medieval theme and they asked Brier to ride in costume... lol

Mama's so proud!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

What beautiful girls !!

Those costumes aren't half bad either ;-)

Really, a great job. Congrats to Brier's mama for the recognition on the QE I costume!!

Maria

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Oh geez NT! What great costumes! Most of my costumes growing up were no where near this cool. You've got the luckiest kids ever!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Those are great! I was actually getting ready to bug you for pics.

Love all the costumes you have made.....you are the bomb!!!

Hazie

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the pics!! Love to see the girls "grow up" almost before our eyes! All of the costumes, like the beautiful mosaics you create, show the love and devotion you have to true art.... So happy you shared it with us!

Pat

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL.. thank you guys. My little one, Breda lusts after store bought costumes - so sad. lol

Sunshine, we use an inordinant amt of detangler in this house. The redhead is not to bad as her hair is average thickness but Blondie has hair the same consistancy as a Barbie doll. I kid you not! Some man actually touched her hair last week asking "is that real?" LOL

Have you ever successfully brushed Barbie's hair? Our secret is that the girls are required to comb conditioner through their hair in the shower - it's miraculous

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner