Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadel2

Is this junk or what?

meadel
16 years ago

I was just cleaning up outside and came across these tile offcuts that were given to me some time ago. I have about 20 of the greyish ones ( 6x6) They are floor tiles and are petty thick. The other ones are just plain white.

Can you think of something besides the landfill? I am stumped.

Comments (17)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Background for flower pots, surrounding colorful designs made w/chunky dish shards or stained glass, lifted w/something under the tesserae to lift them to your background level. I have a bunch of them too. Or, just use them as is to cover the pots. Also could use them to mosaic a little area in the garden - perhaps in conjunction w/other tesserae to make a little path. Lots of ways to use them.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Take a couple of the larger tiles, use them as substrates, then cut up the smaller pieces into even smaller pieces to use as tesserae for nice stepping stones.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

There you go. See - nothing is junk in our world.

• meadel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I guess I am just blocked with this pile, usually I have TOO many ideas. I've had these outside for over a year just getting dirty half hoping that they would fall apart..

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Going through the same mosaic block lately, MEADEL. Keep Googling for mosaics on-line, and something w/"come and then you'll "build it" - you know that phrase from the movie - "build it and they w/come"?

• natasha687
    16 years ago

These are what I used for alot of mosaics. Here are some pics.

Large mirrors look really pretty with the floor tiles around them also...
    I will post pics of them if you want just email me.
    Natasha687

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

You can use them as bases for trivets and coasters. You might want to add some felt to the bottom so your tabletops don't get scratched.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Ahhh...felt! That's what I need! I couldn't figure out where I was gonna find a couple of rubber 'feet' for a glass surface saver that was missing a couple. Thanks, andrea!

• meadel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all! I think that my problem is I haven't done many mosaics with ceramics! ( just glass)
    I think that I will start with a trivet as andrea suggested. I have some cork here at home, so maybe I'll use that. I just LOVE the signs you made natasha! That will be added to my "to do " list!
    I learned a new word the other day, my fusing buddy uses " bumpons" that's what those little rubber feet are called!
    Thanks again,
    Lori

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it took me only 8 months to do something with these~

Thanks for all your suggestions !

• rchovey
    15 years ago

It was sure worth the wait! Good job! As Slow said, "nothing is junk in our world"!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

GOODGRIEF, GOODGRIEF, GOODGRIEF. These are outstanding, especially the bird. Lordy, you're G.O.O.D. Why aren't these posted on the other side, pray tell? I LOVE them both, but that bird is truly spectacular. I was so surprised to see what became of your "pile of junk". Yeah, RCHOVEY - nothing is junk. It's unborn art. Get this post on the other side TODAY.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

OK, tell me how you did these outstanding projects. How did you make the apples, bird and trees. I'm new to mosaics, but hoping to try it soon.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

I too love the apples! VERYYYYY nice work.

Becky

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    Laura, The apples were just cut from a pattern and glued to the tile then grouted. ( the pattern : http://www.glasspatterns.com/projects/freepatterns/pdfs/AppleofMyEyeFramedMosaic.pdf
    though the finished picture on the pattern is slightly different then the pattern.. so I wasn't too happy with that.

The tree one : trees were made with copperfoil tape and solder ! The bird was stained glass.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

W>O>W!!! You are amazing!!! I used big tiles like those for bases for my garden art stuff like Gypsy Bunny's pedastal...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Janie !! Thanks!! I remember that bunny !! Thanks for that pic !
    I still drool over your art room too , especially that glass rack ! omg : )

Sponsored