Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Question about posting pics on the net

toomuchglass
16 years ago

I'm not too clear about what happens to the pics of our projects once we post them on the net. Are they the property of I Village ? If someone right clicks on them and saves them ... have they "taken ownership" of them to do whatever they like ? I'll admit - I save "inspiration" pics of stained glass projects ..... but what I make will never be the same. There's a few places that I've tried saving a pic and you can't right click - it says it copyrighted. This whole subject of posting pics has me confused. A friend of mine begged me not to post pics of original ideas. She didn't say why. Does anybody know "the rules" ?

Comments (11)

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

Well basically GW says that anything you post here is theirs to do with as they wish, not just pics, but ideas etc. See section 7 of the link I provided below.
    I dont know the ins and outs of other stuff, I know most sites where people post stuff say what you take for personal use is fine if you dont distribute it, copy it directly to make money from it. Some artists however are more protective of their work, and so disable right clicking on their sites. Maybe theyve been burned before, who knows.
    I think I have heard wench talk about this and she seems to know whats what.
    I personally dont think anyone would want my things and since Its not about money for me I dont care about those issues too much, But everyone feels different about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW terms of service

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

FYI- there IS a way to save pix that are non-right-clickable; just take a screen shot of it.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What ?? How ? there is ??????????? Is it something we can all do ? You got some 'splaing to do Lucy ! LOL

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Alt + Prtscr, then paste it into your "Paint" program and edit. It'll give you an entire screen shot including all the menus, but you can crop all that off by rotating the image and fixing it all. It's a little work, but relatively easy to do.
    If you need step by step for "Paint" I'll be happy to post that up for everyone.

• senga318
    16 years ago

mmqchdygg:

Please forgive the newbie nerd question, but what the heck is PRTSCR? Is it the "printscreen" button? I tried using "alt" and "printscreen" but my computer just started yelling at me! Loud. BTW,I would like to point out that I never even really noticed that "printscreen" button until a few minutes ago . . .

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Posting a printscreen here will not solve what iVillage is doing with the rights of your images. Here is a quote from their terms of service (emphasis added by me).

By submitting content (in this case, assume "content" is a photo of your work.), which shall include your member name, to any "public area" of the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, the forums and your personal website, exchange page and journal, you grant iVillage a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, sublicense, assign, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for the full term of any Rights that may exist in such content. If you are not the creator of such content, you also warrant that the holder of any Rights, including moral rights in such content, has completely and effectively waived all such rights and validly and irrevocably granted to you the right to grant the license stated above. You also permit any visitor or member to access, display, view, store and reproduce such content solely for personal, noncommercial use.

Basically what it says is they can do what they want, when they want, how they want, FOR AS LONG as they want, with any "content" you post here. If you read even further down in this service agreement, they say if YOU post someone else's work, they can do the same and hold YOU responsible for having all the rights to do so.

I much prefer other forums that don't try to take my rights away when I post photos OF MY OWN WORK.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

But if it's in a link, then it's still your own?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

OK I hit ALT+prtSc and nothing happens. A tutorial please??

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I just hit the "Print screen" key and then open Word or Publisher and hit paste and it pastes the screen shot in there. If I use Publisher I just trim it down to the size I want. It's not as technical as what MM does, but it works for me.

Barb

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Worked like a charm ...and easy!! thanks

Maria

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I'm certainly no lawyer, or expert, but as far as I know, you still retain the copyright when you post a picture, but depending on the site, you may have granted the site the right to use the picture in whatever way they have written in the terms of their agreement. So if posting to a place that says they have the right to make money off of them, and they sell it to a magazine & get a load of money, I'm not sure you'd have a leg to stand on to get anything.

So legally, if someone posts a picture on the internet, they retain the copyright to that picture, with certain rights granted to the site (or whoever else they have granted them to, such as a magazine who may buy a one-time use for printing, etc). Of course, that doesn't mean people will not snatch them anyway, I'm sure it is very common, and most people would just be doing it for a reference, etc. I would guess.

On the photography forums you will find people do get very incensed about people grabbing their pictures, since photographers make their living by shooting & selling the pictures. That is why many people put a very small resolution picture up, or put "copywrited" across it, etc., so others can't take it and make prints, etc. If someone shoots a fine art photo for selling, or portraits, or photos of a wedding, etc., they need the sale to make any money for their effort in taking the picture & doing any post processing of said photography (which can take hours), and legally it is theft if someone just snatches the proofs they've put up there & takes a disk to a photo shop & prints themselves unless they've received rights to do so from the photographer.

For what I post on the web, I realize that someone may want it for some reason & take it. If I'm not comfortable with that, I don't post it on the web in a form they can use easily. I try to limit my posting to places that don't claim rights to my pictures, though I have posted WIP pics here of my one pitiful project;)

So I apologize ahead of time if I've got something wrong, that is just my understanding from what I've read.
    Phew!!! That ended up really long-winded, so sorry, but I don't have time to go back & redo, so I'll just say Sorry!

Sponsored