Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

he's building my work bench!!!!

nicethyme
16 years ago

let's be honest here, what looks like a nice thing for Dh to do is really only happening because he sick of my mess on the dining room table... but we spent the day hauling out stuff from the basement, organizing and making room for ME!!!! I get a space of my own. He installed a plug and a light switch over the spot that will be my bench...

I might be a little more pallid, being kept out of the light and all but what the heck! lol

Comments (33)

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Cool beans! Take pictures;)

• meadel
    16 years ago

That's TERRIFIC !! Congratulations !
    I know exactly how you feel. I had stuff in every single room in this house and basement and outdoors.
    I just reclaimed some prime real estate upstairs. It's only about an 8x5 room but it's all mine and I love it. I am hoping that I can complete more projects soon.
    It is so nice to eat at the dining room table without sitting on glass shards and without getting glue or paint on my elbows. ( or without having to stop because someone wants to eat dinner... the noive) I put some pics up under the "my studio" place. I hope to see yours soon too!
    Lori
    maybe you can get a tanning light so you don't become a mole!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Heck, that's how all my spaces get created...the first one was to get me out of the kitchen...and this new one (still being worked on, but I have a SINK and a COUNTER, and HEAT in there as of this weekend!!!) is to get me out of the FIRST space he sent me to!
    Sheesh...next it'll be out the bulkhead to the back yard (don't laugh, he wanted to send me to the shed, which I promptly said "I don't THINK so!)
    Good deal getting space of your own, NT!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

at least a grow light huh Lori? LOL

MM, my dh has suggested time and time again that all glass cutting be outside... I just look at him like he has 2 heads and keep right on going! lol

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Congratulations on the new space! It's exciting isn't it? When DH bought me a shed to set up my workspace in I was soooh excited, then winter came...oh well...spring will come again. When I worked (played) in the garage at least the electric heater made it tolerable, doesn't make a dent in the cold shed. So I'm praying for warmer days. Give us pictures when it's ready.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Good for you! So what if it took a few glass shards in his food!LOL

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow lucky you!!

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, NT - I'll bet I'm the happiest person reading this. I told you from the beginning that you deserved a place to work. I am THRILLED that you w/have room to work. You won him over - who cares the reason he's building it. Bless him. Now, get to work.

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

A workbench? Lucky you!

You do realize that we will now expect you
    to pump out projects, right? LOL.

Congrats!

Karen Marie

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Oh, how exciting is that! Good for you NT!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Alright NT!!! How awesome, I just think "space" IS the Final Frontier!!lol! I really like the idea mentioned to Andrea on the other side too! And Rchovey, I'm rooting for ya! Glass should be room temp to cut, BTW. And Mary, You are Spoiled!lol! I'd Love to have a sink!!! My DH just said yesterday, how happy he is with my mess in one room!!! (He has to come "see/visit" me in my room now as I never leave!!!lol!)Seriously true!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

NT, get you a TV, Radio, fridge and microwave too!
    Make it a real "Woman Cave"!!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Nice Im happy that you finally get a place of your own. I didnt even know you had a basement.! So are ya gonna give us pics?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you guys, I'm so excited! it maybe "milkcrate" furniture LOL but it's mine... just as soon as I can find a stool and get some cheapy lino tiles for that particle board I'm sooooo happy I could just spit! well LOL

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Oh, that is so cool NT!!Any space of your own is good!!

My middle stepdaughter was discussing her after HS plans...they include moving out. I told her that her room would end up a work room..right after she leaves LOL. You should have seen the look ROFL

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, NT - that is just wonderful, AND SO NEAT. You w/have that place looking like what BAMA called a real woman cave in no time. This w/spur you on now to greater heights. Go get em, girl.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, you are well deserving of your own space! It looks WONDERFUL! I am so happy for you! It shows your dh really respects your artistic talents.

• meadel
    16 years ago

Here is a happy little light for your new space. {{!gwi}}
    Don't forget to come up into the daylight once in a while..
    {{!gwi}}

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Your space looks awesome!! Who cares if its in the basement...it is a place to call your own and be able to get up leave your stuff there and then go back to it when you have time. That is bliss!!!! Give your hubby hugs from us for doing this for you!!!

Now you'll have even more room to stockpile!!!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

It want be long till you have it packed like mine .Way to go girl .

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Looks great!!! All orderly! Mine is already such a mess!!!

• lovesrocks
    16 years ago

You are so very very lucky! I am sharing space in the utility room with the washer and dryer. Glass shards everywhere. DH actually swept in there and shook the rugs. He hates my mess, but it hasn't crossed his mind to share some garage space (gasp!) and we don't have a basement. Of course, that weight bench spot would be perfect, but it is busy holding down the floor and collecting dust.

I think your spot is BEAUTIFUL! Are you going to mosaic the wall behind the bench?

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Don't you just love having your own little corner of the world......Your own space.....I am thrilled for you.....nothing better than being in my little environment, music going and sniffing the GEII!!! Bake your husband a cake or something!!!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Hey kids, I have a question: What do you all do with the floor? Leave the concrete? I'd like to put SOMETHING down on it, but obviously 'sweepability' is a factor in our trade. Can we slap down some cheapie stick-on floor tiles, or will they not stick?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

You probably could, but I'd look for a remant of linoleum. A whole (whatever size you need)piece.The other way glass could get trapped in the cracks.

Ask on freecycle or the freebies on craigslist. A lot of people have leftover pieces laying around

maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

MM: I painted my concrete floor (the room is a converted carport between my den and garage) like a crazy quilt - different colors w/the "stitches" painted on. Here's a picture of it and it's REAL dirty right now cuz I grouted two things yesterday and haven't cleaned it yet.
    workshop floor

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Love the workspace, NT! Love the floor,SLOW!

We are about to build on to our Barnhouse (build in? The walls and ceiling are already there, just expanding further into the existing barn.) We are going to build a new bigger (yay!) bedroom for ourselves, and expand the living room, and add a school room (yay some more!) BUT--I will probably live with OSB type bedroom floor for a while, can't afford to carpet it AND the living room. Maybe I'll take some inspiration from your floor, SLOW...

And my NEW SHOP is sitting on a property 20 miles north of here, waiting for us to figure out how to move it...but I keep eyeballing that schoolroom space and thinking I could sure make that do double duty. The boys only need it for school in the morning...Right this minute I keep having to refocus them on their math...

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

How great is that. Bet ya can't wait to get it done and get started working in your own space.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He brought me a lamp yesterday from his office. Being the IT man, he's had to plug so many things in, in his office that he doesn't have a free plug for this anymore - it IS a grow lamp! lol

stool?, he remembered a folding chair that he curbshopped for me - to be a substrate... should work fine I have to go dig it out of the shed.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

He was a tough one, but you got him on your side finally. Yea - I'm so glad.

• diytrying
    16 years ago

That is so great, NT! It even looks like the height will keep you from looking like Quasimodo when you take a break...as I try to get up off the floor where I'm working.
    Slow, love that floor and took another look at your album. Makes me want to rethink my chimney tile..yours, as well as everything you do, is spectacular!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love that floor too, I think Dh would have a heartattack if he caught me painting the floor!

the chair's too short after all... I suppose all I can do is thrift this weekend and see what I might find...

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I used the snap together rubber foam squares for my floor.

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County