Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

My dog gave me such a scare ( a tad long )

toomuchglass
16 years ago

I adore dogs - I Have 3 of them . 15,14 & 3. Ellie is my precious Rottie . DH & I Have a soft spot in our hearts for old dogs - so I found Ellie online when she was 10 years old. She was 25 lbs. overweight , sickly ,had arthritis , was left home all day alone and walked once every day. She was pretty much ignored. When I went to look at her - she looked like she lost the spark of life. The lady wanted $5 for her , but gave her to me free just to get rid of her. We took her , exercised her , slimmed her down ,showered her with love and attention ,bought her special treats and let her be a real "dog" . In a couple months - that spark was back - her little stubby tail never stops wagging and she's the happiest dog alive.She's got a shot at a second life ! Rotts usually live between 8 & 10 years - Ellie is 14 ! She scared me Tuesday night , I could hear her rustling around all night . I got up ,only to find her in pain & her back legs weren't working. I just freaked out. I thought she had a stroke or something . We carried her into the vet the next morning - I was so afraid she'd have to be put to sleep , but after a complete exam - it turned out she has a herniated disc.She got Prednisone & is doing alot better today. She can walk and her tail is back to wagging non-stop. I hope God lets me have her another year ... she sure deserves it. Sorry for the long post ...I'm just so thankfull !

Comments (13)

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

How special that you were able to see the love that Ellie needed and were willing to take her. Most people probably would have passed on taking a dog that age and she would probably have been put to sleep. I hope you get many more years of love and life from her.
    Barb

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Barb , that compliment means so much to me. Puppies are fantastic .... but it's the old dogs that DH and I love. We'll help more older dogs ,you can be sure.
    I'm just so glad that Ellie will be okay ... every dog I have means the world to me. This is Ellie .... about a year ago . Is she spoiled or what ! LOL
    {{!gwi}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH TMG I hope she is feeling better now!! She is so pretty!!! And look at her sweethead on the pillow. Dogs gotta love them. We have two here.

Chris

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Growing up we had a dog Chauncy, and when we found out my Dad was allergic to dogs, we had to find a new home for him. The lady that adopted him spoiled him rotten...letting him sleep in bed with her and all kinds of other things. Made it easier for us knowing that he was in a home that loved him.

How's Ellie doing?

Barb

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellie is back to her old self . ( Thanking God ) The only problem I'm having with her now is trying to keep her from not moving around ! She's just such a happy dog - every little thing excites her LOL . She's supposed to rest. We'll be back at the vet Wednesday for a check up .
    I'm just so relieved .........

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

Good on you for giving her a happy life. Even if she left you today you should be comforted by the fact you loved her and made a huge difference for her.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

What a precious dog and what a moving story.......what a wonderful person you are. I believe in the power of prayer.........you have made this dog so happy........and in her golden years.....you have made such a big difference......when she does go to Heaven, you can rest assure that she will continue to wag that tail.....

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

I do believe that dogs live "in the moment" but I also believe that they remember enough of crappy former lives to truely appreciate wonderful new lives. We have six rescues (yorkies) who were either abused, neglected, or otherwise traumatized. It is so wonderful to see them come out of their shells and become ... DOGS.

((hugs)) to you!! I can just imagine how anxious you were, until you got Ellie to the vet. I'm so glad she's feeling better.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(((((((((( Stoneybaloney)))))))) for caring about dogs like I do ........

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

What a sweet picture! She looks so happy and content!
    What an angel you are to give the senior dogizens a happy retirment and good home! Hope the vet visit goes well!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Glad Ellie is doing better. I had a retired show dog ( foxhound ) I adopted at 4 yrs old. he had back problems too.I took this 70 lb dog that couldn't walk to emergency Vet by myself!! I HATED when he was on predisone!! He at a WHOLE BAG of SEALED raisins while he was on it. Can't tell you what the after effects of THAT were like LOL

You did a great job with Ellie and gave her many happy years she wouldn'd have had!!

Maria

• annieb43
    16 years ago

First, thank you for saving her from such a sad life. People like you need to be rewarded somehow.

I feel your fear at the thought of having to put her down.
    I had to do that to my 17 year old pekingese last year.
    I am still not over it. Don't think I will be for a long time.

Enjoy every moment with her that you can.
    My hope is that she lives several more years!
    Her life only just started when you found each other!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I have a corgi (below) who is prone to back problems because of his build - long back and low to the ground. I got him at age two through Corgi-Aid, a rescue organization (he's 10 now).

I see many stories like yours - an older dog that no one wants anymore cuz they're not the fun puppies anymore. I too, love older dogs and commend you, Kathy, for your dedication to them.

Dear Woodie is gettin' old (like me) but we still have lots of fun together.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator