Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Name of that (vintage) vanilla milk flavoring- grainy stuff

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

Before Nestle Quik, there was this stuff...can't think of the name...we used to put in our milk to flavor it...it came in a tall jar- very similar to the tall jar that Maxwell House coffee used to come in- it was a grainy yellowish substance, and it had a paper seal on the top of the jar...coffee had the same paper seal...

Anyone got any ideas?

...and while we're at it, wanna take a trip down memory lane and start a fun thread about what products we used to have in the house that aren't around anymore? Like these:

-Zarex (actually, I think you might still be able to get this stuff)

-"Sugar" Corn Pops, and Super "Sugar" Crisp, and "Sugar" Frosted Flakes...they've taken that off the product name

-Yum-Yums (these were nearly identical to Girl Scout "Samoas")

-Romper Stompers

-Junket (pre-"Jello")

What did you have that you miss?

Comments (15)

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Is the vanilla flavored stuff that you're thinking of malted milk?

I remember it looking like dried coffee creamer only grainier.

Sugar Pops - what a hoot.

Black Bear soda comes to mind.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I recently saw a childhood favorite is back, Quisp. I remember eating that cereal all the time, but what was the little bald uniformed guy with the helicopter beanie all about????

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Gosh MM I am NOT old enough to remember those times. Heheheh I do know you can still get Junket. I used to use it to make cheep cheese when I was still milking my cow.Rennet is expensive.

Chris

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Ovaltine?

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nope, I don't remember it being Malted Milk, but maybe it was. The grains were about as big as instant coffee is, and it was very yellow. No matter

• meadel
    16 years ago

PDQ ? (" it goes poppity pow pow") ( we used to eat it by the spoonfuls )

Can you buy Sen Sen anymore ?

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YES!!!! That's it! PDQ!!! I knew I'd recognize it as soon as someone figured it out.
    I'll sleep better tonight now. Thanks, meadel!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I ain't never heard of the stuff.
    Maybe its a northern thing, or I'm too young! LOL!!!

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

I was with mosaicwench on the malted milk...

anyone remember a cereal called "Banana Whackies"?
    little banana shaped soft yellow candies in the cereal..
    in the 60's or early 70's...I loved them!

and there was a raisin/date filled cookie that was flat and had a zig zag edge to them. they had a sheen to them and they were stacked in a package, with the zig zags touching. I sure can't remember the name at all.

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

disregard the email address there..I did a change on my page and that's an address I don't even use.
    I have no idea why it showed up...something I pressed, I guess.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I remember PDQ...bama, maybe your not old enough....wasn't it advertized by some psycho looking rabbit running around on a suger high? It was made by Ovaltine. PDQ came in chocolate, strawberry and eggnog flavors, Ovaltine was the vanilla one. Well now, there's a mouthful of useless information! What can I do for an encore?

Ramona

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We still have those flat raisin cookies up here...can't rightly recall what they're called though, but occasionally I like 'em. I'll have to think on that one.

(Banana whackies, huh? Sounds redundant to me)

• meadel
    16 years ago

I love those raisin cookies... Hurry..go to the store and tell us the name!

• meadel
    16 years ago

Sunshine Co. Raisin Biscuits ! ( They don't make them anymore) sob..
    But there are recipes around.

Here is a link that might be useful: And a place to buy something similar !

• meadel
    16 years ago

From Kelloggs: Thank you for your comments regarding the GOLDEN FRUIT® Raisin Biscuits. Consumer satisfaction is important to us, and your interest in our products is sincerely appreciated.

This product is no longer marketed by our company, since consumer demand simply does not warrant its continued production. At this time, there are no plans to reintroduce this product. However, as an alternate, you might enjoy a similar product called Nutri-Grain® Cranberry, Raisin & Peanut . We are sending you a coupon so that you can try it! Please allow 7 to 10 business days via US Postal Mail.

We appreciate your interest and loyalty to our brands and trust that we will continue to meet your needs for many years to come.

OK..mmqchdygg... If you find any old crusty raisin biscuits on the store shelves.. I will swap some tessera for one! ( got a craving now..) I don't think that their substitute is comparable... cereal bar my #**