Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Conversation vs. Discussion Poll

tamar_422
16 years ago

Okay, it doesn't matter if you are a long-time member with loads of work posted, or a newbie just getting her feet wet, all votes count the same.

Let's just assume we all agree that off-topic issues (weight gain, grandchildren, gray hairs and new houses) belong on the "Off-Topic Conversation" side.

What belongs on the "On-Topic Discussion" side? Please vote:

WIP

Finished Projects

Questions

Tutorials

Disaster Advice (ex. Gorilla Glue Debacle)

Awesome Tile/Substrate, etc. I Have Found!

Sales at Michael's/Hobby Lobby/Maryland Mosaics, etc.

Anything else you can think of that I forgot

(I probably won't be in charge of counting the votes, as I am one of those lazy people that asks questions I could probably google on my own, LOL!)

Comments (25)

• LinLee
    16 years ago

I vote to keep it as is, as it always has been...
    Just as you have described it above.

No one has really breached this...some just wanted to see it changed. Hope I didn't step in it now :(

• senga318
    16 years ago

Makes sense to me. That's how I have been following this forum all along while in my lurker mode! And I have clipped the stuff I was interested in going back to.

• eklypz
    16 years ago

I am so confused what the big deal is when it is so beautiful now, so my vote is as it is. All that stuff is very on-topic to me!

• icheer
    16 years ago

At the risk of repeating myself, and my previous post, I'm going to share this again:
    This forum already has guidelines set out by GW posted at the top of the forum:

"This forum is for those working with stained glass and mosaics to discuss techniques and materials."

It stands to reason that anything pertaining to stained glass or mosaic projects is appropriate for the "discussion" side of this forum. Anything off topic/personal should be on the conversations side. I'm not sure I understand what the confusion is over since it's spelled out so clearly by the folks who created and maintain this forum, to whom I'm grateful.

That said, what is the objective of your poll? What outcome are you anticipating? How will the results be implemented?

I love GardenWeb as a whole, the Stained Glass and Mosaic forum is one of my favorites. There are no hands on mods to enforce the results of this vote. Concerns were raised, solutions offered, and it is what it is.

Lets be very, very careful that this poll does not turn into another forum for disagreement ladies. Think carefully about your responses, keeping good netiquette objectives near and dear.

Peace be with you and your glass :-)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I vote as is, but I wouldn't mind if "what I aquired" or "sales at Hob Lob ( or wherever)" went on this side

I think many of us are clipping and/or making our own databases, so we should be able to pull up answers for the newbies.

This is where refering to FAQ lacks, in my opinion, because we all have had experiences with ..(whatever) and varied results.

Maria

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

I agree with tamar. I always thought it was supposed to be like that anyway. I have always enjoyed hearing and seeing the new projects that everyone has. If I find something I really like, I either clip it or put it in my favs. I didn't even know that they drop off the list after a time. So I agree with the above. If it is on topic, put it here and if off topic(such as listed above, put it there, and if someone makes a boo boo, so what? It is not the end of the world and no one is going to die.

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

oops,I forgot which side I was on. On topic, there and off topic here.???? I need a nice glass of wine now.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Conversation and discussion doesn't make it very clear does it???

Icheer, I think (hope) the poll is just a way to reach a consensus and move on to the really important suff, Like GEII fumes...

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

It will stay the way it always has since none of us has any control over what ivillage does.

I once participated in a forum where a bunch of people left and formed their own private forum. After 6 months it became so insular and back-biting that I had to leave, never to return.

Not only was it uncomfortable that way, but the quality of work they did deteriorated due to lack of newbie blood and an attitutde of "I was the best on xyz forum so I'm the best here." It was awful.

I'll keep coming here and using common sense as to where to post my threads. I hope to see you all while I'm here.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Yep, I think the GW guidelines say it pretty well.

One thing I'd like to say though.. When you're posting a project, (of course on the discussion side) if you put the name of your project in the post title, it will be soooo much easier to find in a search. Even if you just put what it is, like "Mirror", "Clock", or "BackSplash", blah, blah...instead of "Argghh, why did I start this?"
    Sometimes its really hard to find things using the search feature.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

"Argghh"?
    Yes Bama, I swear not to talk like a pirate in the topic.
    But no promises once you open it.

(I kid)...That makes a lot of sense.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Yep .... common sense. I just hope no one makes a decision to police the posts and tell the poster it's on in the wrong side. I say just let it go and get on with it.

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Yeah, what they said...

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Case in point... my post titled "I'm working on it, NT!"
    Geez, I can be such a dufus...

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Me, too, on the side of projects, etc like listed above being on Discussions and the rest of our lives (what?!?! we have OTHER lives???) here.

I have carefully and deliberately avoided saying anything in this entire event because I have had an absolutely AWFUL few weeks and didn't feel like I could get into what's turned out to be very painful for us all without losing my emotional self control. Not lose it due to the "discussion" here, but things at home and work have been pretty rough and stressful. When those three stresses are combined, I know full well that I tend to shoot off my mouth and I chose to hold my piece until an "easier for me to rationally respond to" post came along.

Thanx, tamar, for opening this topic without making judgement. Hope this made sense!

Pat

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Yeah, you know what?

It ain't broke. And you know what they say about if it ain't broke...

(no, it ain't "Then BREAK IT, DAMMIT!"...although that would work here, wouldn't it?)

I thought I had something more to say here, but I really don't. I have no horse here.
    I'm voting to leave all this nonsense aside, and move along. I'm going back to my regularly scheduled programming. (And if it involves a trip to the thrift for new base-material or dishes to smash, so be it. Maybe you'll get to see them, maybe you won't )

• mylalaland
    16 years ago

Its good see our sense of humor coming back
    Keep it going.
    LaLa

• tamar_422
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it seems from our small sample here that we have a consensus. It's too bad this even became an issue, as everyone seems fine with the way things were being posted. Hopefully the gals who weren't happy will come back, as we will surely miss their work. If they don't, well, I guess we can just chalk it up to their loss ...

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

How very nice to see a nice, harmonious thread.

Not one negative post, nothing nasty, no name
    calling, either. :-) Brownies for all!

Just my opinion, and for the 'vote', I think that
    anything that pertains to Stained Glass and Mosaics
    is indeed worthy of discussion. To me, someone asking
    about glue is very much in relation. A sale is also
    related, because it is supply related.

See, I'm easy. Just tell me the rules once and show
    me the way to the wine. (Coppertop, are ya sharin?)

I don't think anyone on this thread thus far has
    or had any issue with the way things were. Let's keep
    this boat rowing.

:-) KM

• shrty411
    16 years ago
  • WUVIE
    16 years ago

Shrty, way too cute!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

AS is .Well said Mw but I do love some of them over there but as for as art we have it all boxed up here at Gw.
    This to shall pass.

• ba1je
    16 years ago

i love this forum just the way it is. yup-sometimes we go off topic but not often. if its about sg or mosaic stuff its on topic...barb

• lovesrocks
    16 years ago

I have been following all of these discussions and just want to say that I am guilty of not reading everything in the FAQ's and policies, because I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming) they were general policies like most boards (be nice, no sleaze, etc., etc.). So as a newbie, I completely apologize if I should have asked questions over here on this side instead of the other side, but I think all my questions were on topic, therefore, on the correct side (the other side).
    I am okay with the off topic stuff over here and project related on other side. It makes it easier to sort through what posts I really want to check out and learn from.

If you don't mind me adding one more thing, the conversations/discussions links are not very noticeable, could they be enlarged so that they are more prominent and visible? I'm not blind or anything, but I didn't notice the links for quite awhile because they just blend into the page.

Thanks for having a wonderful forum where I can learn and be inspired. I appreciate all of your work and knowledge--A LOT!!

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Wow! I am hosting a seminar this weekend so I haven't really checked in for a while. I'm like the turtle on the highway with everything whizzing past. Here I sit, dazed and with big eyes, wondering what just happened!

I think that all the posts are valuable, but if they are spread over two forums they will last longer. I would like to see sale info & fresh kill (I mean, recent purchases) moved to this side. I like having WIP and questions/tutorials on the other side.

WIP pics are fun because they let everyone know what you're doing, and you get to see the creative process along the way. The number of posts could be reduced if updates were added to the same thread rather than a new thread started. Not only will you save posts, but everything related to that project will be in one place so if you are looking for it later everything is together.

Again, I came late to the game. It seems like most feathers are smooth again which is great. I'm still going to be MIA for a few days, so bye!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County