Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icheer

When my children were young ...

icheer
16 years ago

As some of you know, our family has six permanent children through foster care, adoption, step, and biological means. In addition to the "forever" kids, we had many who joined our family for a short time while their parents got their lives together.

We lived in a rural area without neighboring children so we often went to the community playground. The kids loved going there and playing on all the neat equipment, playing with other kids, and exploring new sides of themselves. On a few occasions, when we arrived there was already a game or two in progress - kickball, HORSE, King of the Mountain, etc. which my kids joined in on.

I remember once my kids complained because the rules of the game were different than what they were accustomed to and wanted me to intervene to teach the kids the "right" way. I explained that there were multiple ways to play the game and they could either follow the rules already in place or play by themselves. A few chose to stay in the game and had a great time, laughing, running and sweating themselves into that sweet little puppy smell kids get :-) One chose not to play because "they weren't playing it right". She didn't have a great time, but she was "right".

When we got home that night, the kids took turns taking their baths and I always especially enjoyed that one on one time of combing their freshly washed, clean smelling hair, taking a moment to smooth more than just hair snarls, but the little upsets of the day as well. Miss "Right" was quiet during our special time but finally blurted out that she didn't have fun at the playground that day. I explained that when you join a game already in progress that its important to respect the rules of those who set up the game. She also had a choice to start her own game and hope the other kids would want to play. With that, we straightened pj's, braided her hair, and off to bed we all went.

The phrase "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do" took root in that child's heart that day and she had a great time the next time she joined a kickball game at the playground.

GardenWeb is the grown up playground, where I come several times a week to read, learn, exchange ideas, show off my newest project, etc. I think I'd rather play by the rules that GardenWeb established (which have been successful for a very long time) than set up my own game all by myself ... how about you?

Comments (6)