Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlechloe

a day in the life.

littlechloe
19 years ago

Preface: I'm really sick with brochitis right now.

I have two dogs. One I've had for a year, the other for four months. Daisy, the new one, gets on my bed at 5am yesterday and starts licking my face. I wake up and think maybe she has to go outside to pee because she never wakes me up. So I get up in my jammies, it's raining and cold and I'm sick, I let them out. They run to the pond and start drinking - typical. Except they're way too excited about drinking pond water. Then I realize - they've got a live thing at the pond and there's only one sort of live thing that's out at 5am and it's not a fish, it's a rat. So I start screaming at them and Daisy charges towards the house, which means whatever it is she's got it and she's bringing it inside, so I scream again and wave a piece of firewood at her and she drops it and now there's a half-dead rat at my BARE wet freezing feet and she's running around like a crazed dog. I manage to shoo the dogs into the back of the yard and I'm standing there in my bare freezing feet in the rain guarding a half dead rat with a piece of firewood trying to figure out what to do. The rat is between them and the house and now how do I get them by an enticing half dead rat into the house.

So I'm thinking I have to cover the rat with something - maybe the big dog pillow on the porch. No, it's too gross to plop a huge pillow over a half dead rat cuz then I have to throw it away and what if I end up suffocating the rat. The rat is twitching at this point, I feel horrible for it, seriously, it was only innocently hanging around the yard in the dark. So then I figure I'll put a bucket over it except the bucket is on the other side of the yard and how do I keep the dogs away while I'm getting the bucket. I black out at this point and regain consciousness holding the bucket near the rat. However, I realize the rat's tail is really long and the bucket won't cover it all so the tail would still be sticking out. Can't have that. I give up on covering up the rat.

I somehow manage to grab Daisy and drag her into the house. While I'm doing this my other dog runs to the rat but I scream at him and fortunately he "respects" my screams so he runs away. I manage to get him inside without incident. Once inside, it takes 40 minutes to convince the dogs to get away from the french doors where they can still see a half dead rat outside and go back to bed. I get in bed too and faint. An hour later I wake up and call my DH (who lives a block away) and tell him to get his b#tt over here and pick up this freakin rat - it's a man's job.

The worst part of this story is that it's utterly typical for the life of a two-whacky-dogs owner who lives alone. Nothing about the story seemed unusual to me, nothing. That kinda sucks.

Comments (14)

• stxmona
    19 years ago

ROFLing very hard!!!!
    It sound just like my house!!!
    My male cat Pelu will bring live rats/mice through the cat door into the house and let them go just to watch the 120lb Rottweiler, 2-70ishlb mix breed and 7lb mix chase it around and of course I'm in the chase too...yelling for DH to help me. Both cats, Pelu the male and Petunia the female sit there and laugh and laugh and laugh.
    Yes I live in an animal ruled house also!!

Hope you get over your bronchitis soon!!!!!

• User
    19 years ago

Littlechloe

First I really am sorry you are not feeling well, and don't be upset but:

ROFLMBO TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat person here. I live in an apt. now, but before I moved last year I had a 'female' cat who used to go outside and bring in "live" chipmunks and then suddenly this same cat who 'caught' it outside cannot possibly catch it inside!! So now I have a live chipmunk and a
    cat watching it run around.

• KimmyStar
    19 years ago

little,
    ROFL!!!
    Hope you get better, really soon
    I could just 'see' you running around! FUNNY FUNNY Movie that played in my head as I read about your day...
    Kimmy

• annsb
    19 years ago

Chloe,
    After hearing your story it will seem pretty tame when I have to deal with half-dead mice thanks to my kitties!
    I now know it could be a LOT worse! LOL
    What became of the rat?
    ann

• techsupport8
    19 years ago

I have a cat AND a dog who double team the mice that find their way in during the autumn.

The cat catches them in the basement and brings them upstairs to my bedroom (only after 2am) and drops them on the floor. The dog is immediately alerted and jumps on me to get to the mouse who by now is near death due to fright alone.

They chase the mouse around the bedroom until I get up and flip on the light and then the cat sits and looks innocent while I shoo the mouse out of it's current hidey hole and into a box for depositing outside. The dog looks disgusted that I've disrupted their play.

The cat is an indoor only cat so the Dog does the same with moles in the garden. He only ever finds them in the winter when they burrow under the snow. He'll come up with one in his mouth (the critter shreiking to beat the band) and want to be let in the house with it as a present for the cat (quid pro quo, doncha know). I usually have to put it out of it's misery with a shovel cuz my DH is never around when I need him for stuff like that.

The joys of pet owning . . .

• User
    19 years ago

Oh Tech...that is priceless!!! If a mouse is
    within 50 feet of me I go into total paralysis!!!

I am terrified of rodents of any type...and
    that includes hampsters, guinea pigs and any
    animal that might be remotely related to the
    MOUSE!!!!!!!

A chipmunk got in the house (thanks to a very
    rude cat)....I stood on the kitchen table with
    my children laughing hysterically AT ME.....
    needless to say the chipmunk had to die..but
    not at my hand, that would have meant me actually
    getting off the table!!!

Am I a WIMP? YEP and proud of it!!! I live in
    the city and would rather face a mugger than a
    mouse...

• stxmona
    19 years ago

Ohiomom you crack me up ..rather a mugger than a mouse...ROFLing

• User
    19 years ago

Well, then when you were "lurking" ya must of not
    heard the "snake" story!!!

I will keep it short: lol

I do genealogy and was in the mountains of East
    Tennessee looking for a ggggrandaddy's grave-site,
    and walked up on a big old "chicken" snake sunning
    on his headstone!!! Think I moved fast for that
    mouse? Ha.....I was in the Car before you could
    say RUN!!!

Meanwhile my cousin is rofl soooo, I locked all
    the car doors, put up the windows and threatened
    to leave him up in those mountains!!

• KimmyStar
    19 years ago

O'mom...
    I'm with stx...you'd take a mugger on before a mouse!!! Not ME!!!
    But, don't blame you about the snake...yuck!

I used to have a mousy problem...I got a couple of those electronic gadgets that emit those funny noises and,
    it works like a charm! If they come in, they don't stay in long!!!

Kim
    Who has seen her teeny tiny mother do battle with a mouse in her kitchen cabinets and stomp on one in the yard that the cat was playing with...and neither of those mice/rats lived to tell the tale. (When you live in the country with cornfields all around, mice and rats like to move indoors when the corn is picked and their food supply is gone.) Then there was the snake in her birdfeeder(that had fallen on the ground)...that snake was jumping at her...the snake couldn't get his tail out of the birdfeeder...he didn't stand a chance with her and the hoe...I was watching her from my house with the phone in hand to call 911 when he bit her...but she got him!

• User
    19 years ago

I don't really want to 'meet' up with a mugger,
    but if he had a mouse, he would have everything
    I owned!!

I have this fear of them, and have never had
    a mouse problem....go figure!!

I'll tell you though, when I go thru the old
    cemetery's now, I carry a big stick and 'stomp'
    my feet!!! lol

• annsb
    19 years ago

Linda, I think it is hilarious that you actually locked all the doors of your car.
    I can just picture a chicken snake slithering up to your car and trying to open the door.
    Actually I can't picture it only because I don't know what a chicken snake looks like :0)
    ann

• User
    19 years ago

A chicken snake is HUGE!!!! He is dark..brown and/or black, I was moving too fast to check that out though!!!!!! MY cousin assures
    me they are 'harmless' and good for keeping
    down 'rodents'....but you have to keep in
    mind although my 'roots' are in the country....I grew
    up in the city!!! lol....

it's not like I
    have ever seen anything but those little garter (?)
    snakes when I was growing up!!!

• annsb
    19 years ago

I take it it is called a chicken snake because it eats chickens?
    We have only one snake around here and he lives up in my son's room.
    My son wanted him so badly and waited for a year for him.
    For about 2 months he would take him out all the time.
    Now he is totally uninterested in him.
    Typical male!!
    ann

• User
    19 years ago

I don't know why they call it that...as long
    as they don't cross my path, they can eat
    whatever they want....lol

The snake in the cemetery was bad, but the
    old family cemetery in the cow pasture was
    real scary....forgot where there are cows
    there are bulls!!!! Needless to say, I am