Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: looking for low-fat pie crust

Posted by aphilla (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 20:34

Or maybe better said, heart-healthy pie crust. My doctor put me on a heart healthy diet, so most desserts are gone, if I could find a heart healthy pie crust though I could have lemon meringue pie. Went to make one tonight and the recipe called for 2/3 cup of crisco just for the crust. Yikes!

TIA
-a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: looking for low-fat pie crust

You might want to try a little trick I use. I take Sprouted-Grain Cereal (they are wholegrain nuggets similar to Grape-nuts) and make a crumb crust with it much like making a graham cracker crust (which would be another option for you). It only takes a little bit of butter (about 1 T. melted) to make a whole lot of taste and it will be more satisfying than completely fat-free. Add a little honey for sweetener and to help it stick together and just press it in your pie pan and bake until it is set and browned a bit. I don't have a recipe, I just guess at the amounts and I use tart pans and make a small pie for two people. I make 2-servings of homemade chocolate pudding, or blueberry filling with frozen berries and thicken it a bit and add a sweetener to taste, using this "crust" for our little "tart pies".

You can also pulse the cereal in a food processor if you don't like the "crunch". You could also make your lemon pie filling, fill the pie pan, add the meringue and go entirely crust-free.

Here's my version of Apple Pie and hubby has never missed the crust. I serve it in a tulip-shaped ice cream dish with a little of the cereal sprinkled on the top and it's not bad with a bit of ice cream on the top, either.

Orange Sauced Apples

3 T. brown sugar (I use agave nectar - a low-glycemic sweetener)
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 c. orange juice
2-3 medium cooking apples, thinly sliced

In medium skillet (or pan), combine brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and orange juice; blend well. Stir in apple slices. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil stirring occasionally. reduce heat. Cover; simmer 5-10 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve warm. Yields: Four (1/2-cup) servings. (We like the leftovers cold, the next day.)

Note: I sometimes toss in some raisins, craisins, dried blueberries, or dried cherries to change it up a bit.

Here's another favorite that is adapted from a recipe for Apricot Chutney. Once again, make a crumb crust, or just serve it with some of the cereal sprinkled over the top for that added crunch.

1/3 c. apricot spreadable fruit (or orange marmalade)
1 cup chopped apple (or just a whole apple or two)
1 T. raisins (this adds a "buttery" taste without adding fat)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. allspice (or applepie spice mix or cinnamon)
1 T. cider vinegar

Mix all ingredients and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12-15 minutes.

I'm getting to be an expert at making non-crusted pies and we don't miss the crust AT ALL!

Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here