Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: yeast-free and dairy-free bread

Posted by
Jane
(jakeandjane@accesswave.ca) on
Mon, Dec 25, 00 at 18:50

I'm allergic to yeast and lactose-intolerant AND I hate to cook - so sandwiches are a big part of my daily diet. Does anyone have a recipe for bread that can be made into sandwiches? (How like "regular" bread is salt-rising bread? And how hard is it to make?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: yeast-free and dairy-free bread

Use Google.com search engine, search for:

+yeast+free+bread+recipe

You will find recipes and how to alter recipe for lactose intolerance.

Marie

o

Thank you Grandma. The first recipe that showed up - No Yeast White Bread - sounds like the ingredients of a loaf I have bought - but cannot afford very often. The retailer (who iis not the baker) said it took 24 hours to rise. Which is why I asked about salt-rising bread.

o

Jane, Check at your local library, for a book called the Gluten free Gormet. I found several books at our library under allergy cookbooks. Hope that this helps.
Tracy

o

Tracy: No that doesn't particularly help. I am not allergic to the flour which which is what contains the gluten.
I am only allergic to the yeast which is the leavening agent.
Thanks anyway.

o

Jane, my Mother-in-law is allergic to yeast and sugar ( try to go out to eat with her!) She also has no time to cook. Maybe that's why she is only 104 pounds.... if you get a recipe that you like let me know. I have a bread machine and would like to surprise her with a loaf!

o

I was wondering if you had any success with your search. I have the same allergies as you and didn't know that you could use salt to make the bread rise!

o

Noreen: I can use buttermilk even though I am lactose intolerant. Don't know if everyone can though. (And it most likely wouldn't be true if you are allergic to milk; that is, allergic to the proteins in milk.)
A lot of Irish soda bread recipes I've found are OK.

o

I don't know about a recipe but a good quality sourdough will be yeast free - finding one is another problem since the sourdough at the grocery bakery has yeast in it - but I have found some at health food stores that I like -

o

Sourdough contains "yeast", it is wild yeast but never the less is still yeast.

Salt rising bread will also contain wild yeast.

The yeast is in the air and will settle into the mixture multiply and make a great starter.

The same takes place in salt rising bread.

o
yeast-free and dairy-free bread

Jane,
have you considered the latest "trend" in sandwiches - wraps?
Look for
Corn Tortillas
Flour Tortillas
Injera [Non Yeasted]
Indian Fry Bread
Chapati / Chappati / Chapatti
Roti
Lavash / Lawaash / Lahvosh / Lavosh [Hard Or Soft]
Piadine

Many flatbreads are both yeast and dairy free, and make wonderful sandwiches!

Article to read:

Under wraps. (wrap sandwiches)(includes recipes)
http://www.findarticles.com/m0820/n239/19587344/p1/article.jhtml

How it's done:

How To Wrap the Wrap Sandwiches
http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com/wrapshowto.html#best

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Wrap the Wrap Sandwiches

o

bme: Yes I do know about wrap sandwiches, but ... I have purchased locally (from a fruit and vegetable stand) a fine loaf of bread that looks like regular baker's bread. The lady running the stand told me that the baker is a German lady, and she lets the dough rise overnight (which is why I asked about salt rising bread originally). The ingredients, according to the vendor, were baking powder, flour and vegetable oil if I remember correctly.

I can't rave on enough about this bread. I've been eating sourdough for years and had forgotten how good "regular" bread tasted.
It is too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis however. So I've been madly searching the Net for months for a recipe.

o

I've been put on a yeast and sugar free diet. I also have to exclude any fermented foods. So no cheese, yoghurt, alchohol.. etc.
Would anyone be able to tell me if Milk would be allowed and what about tomototes?
And I'm guessing Pasta is ok??

Thanks
Karen

o

I would think milk, pasta and tomatoes should all be OK.
No vinegar or soy sauce. And things like quorn and textured vegetable protein and tofu could be a problem.

I also have to avoid all dairy and yeast (& fermented foods) - I'm looking for a recipe for yeast-free bread but despite using google I haven't found one. Can anyone p[ost one here please?

o

Jane,
I have been wanting a yeast free recipe too so I could enjoy bread again. I searched the internet and found some potentially good yeast and dairy free alternatives. This is by far the best and most comprehensive website - I recommend you browse it. http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-quick/
Here is one the best recipes I found.

Yeast Free Bread Recipe (Loaf Style)

Dr. Mary Rodio

A yeast & dairy free recipe especially for sufferers
of Candida albicans yeast, gas, heartburn,
digestive upsets, nausea, indigestion, food allergies

No Yeast and No Dairy Ingredients

3 cups whole grain flour (preferably organic)

2 1/2 cups (~ 600 ml) distilled/purified water

1 TBS. (non-aluminum) baking powder
(Featherweight or Rumford)

1 TBS. Olive Oil

1/4 - 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Batter Preparation and Cooking

Mix liquids and dry ingredients separately; then combine and mix well

Place in greased and floured 9" x 5" loaf pan or 9" x 9" cake pan

Bake at 400 F (pre-heated oven) 35 minutes

When bakers pick comes out clean and top is lightly browned, bread is ready to cool on rack. Let cool in pan for at least 1/2 hour.

Note1: For a lighter bread, use 3 cups unbleached white VitaSpelt flour or use 1 1/2 cups unbleached white VitaSpelt flour mixed with 1 1/2 cups whole grain flour.

Note2: Refer to Dr. Rodio's Food Substitutions and Digestive Health Advisory if you suffer from gastrointestinal disturbances or Candida albicans yeast fungal overgrowth or wish to improve overall health.

1997-2005 by Mary L. Rodio, Ph.D.
Formulator of Dentizyme and other natural remedies, Dr. Rodio is an Ethnobotanical Research Scientist and the Director of Natura Health Services, Inc. in Scottsdale, Arizona. She researches how plants, foods, and customs influence the health of cultures around the world - socially, emotionally, and physically.

You can access the Natura website at http://www.NaturaRx.com or call 480 451-0168.

Hope this helps!

o

This recipe is yeast-free and dairy-free!
http://earthnotes.tripod.com/soda-bread.htm
kimberlee

o

This may not be for jakeandjane anymore but I just tried and had terrific results with a sourdough recipe (Potato Sourdough Bread) I found at Joan's Sourdough Bread Primer. I used Carl Griffith's 1847 starter which I love, has stayed alive neglected for months and still quickly restores. It's moist and fluffy, tastes great. I sliced it for sandwiches. It's supposed to freeze very well. I give it my highest recommendations. No baker's yeast and no milk. Of course, I know nothing about yeast-free diets so sorry if it's not considered yeast-free.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pipeline.com/~rosskat/wizzi.html

o

Hi I have just been diagnosed as intolerant to dairy products, bakers yeast and believe it or not onions. Its a nightmare trying to find things that taste nice that do not have any of these ingredients. I was interested in the girl talking about the German lady who made nice tasing bread.....did you get the ingredients yet. If anyone else can give me advice I would be really oblidged.

o

Hi there midiman - hope you've been able to find good alternatives by now. I too was advised a while ago that I should not consume dairy or yeast. I have oatcakes and wraps instead of bread (oatcakes are even OK on their own if you need a quick snack). Oat milk is lovely and have found it to be much nicer than soya milk. Peanut butter and other nut butters (e.g. almond butter) are good alternatives if you've previously been a Marmite fiend. Also, apparently people who are dairy intolerant can sometimes have goat's or sheep's milk with no problems - don't know what I'd do without feta cheese! Re: javadiva's link to a soda bread recipe above - I thought any fermented products like vinegar had yeast in them? Let me know what you've been eating as it may give me some ideas!

o

I'm interested in any sugar free, yeast free, dairy free recipes anyone may have also. My daughter is 10 and is on this type of restricted diet. I hear a lot of "its not fair". Any cake, cookie or dessert recipes would be very welcome too. Anything to help her feel normal on b-day treat day at school, etc. would be most helpful. Thanx

o

HollyBee, if you find any recipes like that I would love to have them too as I'm also on that restricted diet..How sad for a child to have to be on such a diet as this..My heart goes out to her.
Anita

o

I highly recommend reading the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon for those not able to eat yeast. Though there are recipes using sour-dough starter, there are plenty of recipes not using yeast. And if you come across a recipe asking for certain flours, simply replace it with spelt or kamut as we do. We are a yeast intolerant family and we are trying to do away with sugar products as well. HTH!

o

i'd love to reference your thread and receive a free book. i'm in a frugal moms group with 60+ members who are affiliated with other frugal groups and organizations. would all i have to do is refer them to your web address? i actually just checked out your website before i found this thread as i am just beginning my research on this diet for my husband and 10 yr old daughter. please feel free to email me 01keka@gmail.com

o

Here is one that I found but haven't tried it yet.

Through trial and error I came up with a great yeast free recipe for bread that all my friends have borrowed. It is easy to make with no other equipment than a wooden spoon and a bowl, and a good baking sheet (I prefer the ones that are airfilled so that the bottom doesn't burn). I'm in Canada and use 8oz= Cup =240ml and my teaspoon=5ml."
Ingredients
3 Cups whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups liquid (I use rice milk or water but it works with any liquid)
1/4 Cup liquid fat (I've used melted milk free margarine but now I use olive oil)
Mix dry ingredients. Do not sift the flour!
Mix liquids and add to dry. Stir until there is no more dry flour.
Shape into a ball or an oval, with oiled hands.
Place on clean baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes at 400F/200C.
"I often rub the dough ball with virgin olive oil and sprinkle sea salt and oregano for a foccacia flavor. For tea time, I add a tsp. Rapadura sugar which is pure cane sugar. The liquid can be replaced for orange or other fruit juice if the bread is to be used for teatime and you can even add dried chopped fruits. For a savory bread the liquid can be tomato juice and you can add chopped sundried tomatoes to the dough. Sprinkling of seeds in the dough or on top of the bread is also possible.

o

try yeast-free light wheat sandwich bread recipe from http://jpindigirl.wordpress.com -- it requires no rise-time or kneading of dough and is not at all messy while preparing!!!

o
pasta on yeast free diet

It has always been my understanding that pasta is a refined carbohydrate and that refined carbs break down into sugars. Am I wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here