Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: My Mom Can't Eat...

Posted by pickledill (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 23:26

So my mother has throat cancer. She has difficulty eating and drinking. It hurts her to swallow even her own saliva. I am looking for some soft food recipes and liquid meal recipes. She is about to start chemo and radiation and when she does, I will be in charge of cooking and I am not really the best cook. I know that this is going to be really hard on her and I want to make it as easy on her as possible. Swallowing anything I cook is definitely not easy. She can't have raw fruits or vegetables and she needs foods with a lot of protein and iron. Anything anyone posts will be helpful!! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: My Mom Can't Eat...

I hope your mom is doing okay on chemo. This is a slow forum, why don't you try posting this on the Cooking forum, I've seen chemo and diet/eating questions posted there and they were answered more. The Cooking forum is quite busy, I'm sure someone will have advise for you. I'm afraid I don't know anything about chemo, but I wish your mom luck.

o
RE: LOOKING for: My Mom Can't Eat...

You might want to consider non-meal items as well. Protein drinks and even yogurt. Greek yogurt (Fage and Oikos are two brands) are very high in protein and smooth. I mix in a little Splenda and cinnamon. You could also mix in a little cocoa powder. Isopure Dutch Chocolate is a good protein powder. 210 calories and 50 grams protein. It tastes like chocolate milk, but less "rich". Cream of chicken soup, any creamy soups in fact, might be good. Ricotta cheese is good. You can even heat it in a little dish and put a little spagetti sauce on it if she can tolerate tomato (Hunts has sauce in very small cans). Cottage cheese is good also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here