Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Low salt, low fat homemade soup?

Posted by Wendy77 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 01 at 22:10

Anyone have a homemade low salt low fat recipe for soup?? My dad is having a hard time buying soup as it is loaded with salt & fat. I would love to make him some homemade soup but need help. Please share your recipe. TIA Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Low salt, low fat homemade soup?

It's not hard.
get some meat....beef, lamb or chicken...put it in a soup pot, cover it with water, cook until almost done, add veggies ( garlic, lots of onion, celery, carrots, chopped parsley, parsnips or rutabaga, maybe some shredded cabbage) and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
Any of your regular soup recipes will work....just use lean meat and let the broth cool so the fat rises and skim it off......and stay away from any canned soup, dry soup mixes, flavor packets or any other commercial flavorings.
Cream soups can be thickened with cooked rice put into the blender with some of the liquid instead of the traditional butter/flour roux.
Linda C

o

Nothing to it! Take cheapest chicken pieces ([probably legs) OR any other meat you get for good price OR turkey/chicken/pork/beef or any other meat bones which you roast till golden in the oven OR any combination of vegetable OR any combination of any above.........cook it in a big pot till meat falls off the bone OR bones come apart easily OR vegetables are soft (or all above). Add some spices OR herbs (to your taste), a bit of salt (or not), cover with the lid and put out on the balcony to cool till fat (except for vegetable soup) is getting white and firm on the top of the soup. Take it back into kitchen, remove fat and get rid of it. Take out all items which are in the broth, sort it out, clean bones of meat, chopp the meat (if you have lots of meat you can use some for chicken/meat salad). Keep chopped meat/vegetables on plate and think of how much same kind of soup you will need. If you have too much, divide it into smaller pots and divide chopped items to make different soups. Make your smaller pots boil, and add some meat and rice to one, some meat and noodles to other, add some chopped raw potato to another pot and add some vegetables too. One with potato you can mix into cream soup without cream. Except for potato soup, all other soups freeze well so you can make different kinds of home made soups at the same time.

Do not make a science out of it as you do not need any special recipes for no fat/no salt soup. You can look at any cook-book web site, find soup recipes - and there must be thousands. When you follow the recipe just skip what you don't want there. DO NOT USE SOYA SAUCE as it contains too much sodium/salt.
Good luck.

o

I'm with you magan!! It's not rocket science to cook low salt.....just don't use salt in your dishes!! And never EVER use canned soup, dry dressing mix not flavor packets of any kind.
Linda C

o

I'm with the above. We've gone no salt or low salt for years and I use garlic and/or onion to season. You really don't miss it as herbs can make up for a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here