Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Buckwheat waffles?

Posted by modjadje (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 03 at 17:48

I have to eliminate wheat from my diet because of the gluten, and read that one can make nice waffles from buckwheat. I have never done anything with buckwheat, not even tasted it. If you are familiar with it, could you try to describe the taste, and tell me if waffles and other baked goods made with it is really tasty as is claimed?
I would also very much appreciate a tried and tested recipe for baked goodies with buckwheat.
I'll be doing a Google search, but have much greater trust in a recipe coming from someone here. Thank you for your time, Delina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Buckwheat waffles?

My first post in this forum....

I like the taste of buckwheat, in fact I have some of the flour...should find a way to use it...can't recall why I have it! I think I did make some waffles with it. I know that I've mixed it with various flours when I didn't have enough of the other, with okay results.

Another thing, I'm wondering if you could manage to eat Indian 'wheat' flour, which is Chapati flour. It's WAY less sticky/glutenous. It won't work as a direct substitute in most cases but you could see what you could do with it. Usually only found in an Indian or Asian store, maybe in some health food shops.

o

I am also interested in any recipes with buckwheat flour. My husband has restless legs syndrome, and we have found that his legs do not bother him at all if he stays away from gluten. The rice breads just do not hold together. I tried a bread machine loaf the other day with part cukwehat flour and part spelt flour. IT is very heavy and dense, but certainly better than the rice bread. Any recipes with no gluten would be appreciated.
THANKS!

Glenda

o

I am gluten intolerant and I tried all sorts of baking with alternative flours. None of my results seemed worth the effort. Others I know bake gluten free and like it, so I guess it is a matter of personal taste. Be sure to buy some xanthum gum. About a teaspoon added to an average recipe will improve the result considerably. Substituting about 1/4 cup of tapioca flour for whatever flour you are using will also help.

I was not able to use spelt. Still too much gluten in that for me. I think it depends on the nature of your allergy. I tried buckwheat noodles (the original soba)but found them way too heavy.

o

I forgot to add that we got a reasonably good waffle using barley flour + the tapioca flour and xanthum gum that I mentioned above.

o

Wow, this is a slow moving forum! Still need buckwheat info.? I use it a lot and would suggest the flour made from raw buckwheat for the milder flavor than the roasted groats have.
If you beat egg whites until stiff, you can fold them into the batter to lighten up any recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here