Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: tomato-less spaghetti sauce?

Posted by mleff (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 02 at 15:31

It turns out that my spouse is allergic to tomatos, but loves things like meatballs, pasta, and pizza. I know there are some alternative things I can make (white pizza), but it would be really great if someone could share a recipe for spaghetti sauce, sans the tomatos.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: tomato-less spaghetti sauce?

Maybe tomatillos? they are green, and are not tomatoes. They might give you the consistancy, plus ad bell peppers onions, garlic and maybe a grated zucchini for bulk. Go for it.

o

Have you tried pesto? It's basil,pine or walnuts, garlic, oil and parm. cheese mixed in a blender. You put a spoonful on the pasta and mix it all together. You can adjust it to you own tastes.

o

I know it has been almost a year since you asked the question, but I might have a suggestion.

I have sauteed red, orange, and yellow bell peppers with onions, garlic, eggplant, zucchini (to add bulk) and mushrooms. Then added a bit of wine, herbs and spices, salt and pepper, and a little stock or water to cover. Let simmer until the vegetables are soft, then run through the blender (or food mill for a smoother sauce). It is a reddish sauce (the more red peppers the redder the sauce) so it suggest tomato even with none in it.

And the flavour is very very good. You could use roasted peppers if you like (I didn't), I bet that would be another good variation.

Dances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here