Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pumpkin Pie

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 20:22

My husband is diabetic and loves pumpkin pie. Has anybody ever made it using Splenda? A friend used it in another recipe and said it was terrible, so I'm half afraid to try it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pumpkin Pie

Here are a couple ideas that might work. An easy-to-make Pumpkin Pudding recipe that tastes just like pumpkin pie, and can be made with sugar-free INSTANT pudding mix (or regular INSTANT with sugar), and the Bisquick recipe for Impossible Pumpkin Pie. I substitute agave nectar (a natural, low-glycemic, honey-like sweetener that can be used by most diabetics. We're not diabetic, but we don't use sugar and use agave nectar instead. -Grainlady

PUMPKIN PUDDING
1 can (15 oz.) canned pumpkin
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1-1/2 c. milk
3.5-oz. package instant sugar-free vanilla pudding

1. Mix pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.

2. Slowly stir in milk. Mix well.

3. Add the instant pudding mix and stir slowly for about one minute until it thickens.

4. Chill the mixture. (Grainlady note: I put it in individual serving dishes and top it with Sprouted Grain Cereal, which is similar to Grape Nuts, or homemade granola. Don't miss the crust.)
---------------------------

IMPOSSIBLE PUMPKIN PIE
(original recipe calls for 3/4 c. sugar)

1 can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
2 T. margarine or butter, softened
2 eggs
1/3 c. agave nectar (OR 3/4 c. sugar)
1/2 c. Bisquick baking mix (I use a wholegrain version I make at home)
2-1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
2 t. vanilla

Heat oven to 350F. Grease pie plate, 9x1-1/4 or 10x1-1/2 inches (Grainlady note: I have also doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13-inch cake pan for square servings when you have to feed a lot of people). Beat all ingredients 1 minute in blender on high or 2 minutes with hand beater. Pour into pie plate. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes; cool.

o

Thanks for your response. However, I use fresh pumpkin puree for my pies. Hmmmmm Looks like no pie this Thanksgiving. sniff...

o

Perhaps you didn't realize cooked fresh pureed pumpkin can be used instead of canned pumpkin, in most cases. After all, canned pumpkin is nothing more than 100% cooked pumpkin. Perhaps if you do some experimentation for yourself and adapt the recipes I've posted to your personal needs, you could share your results for others who may also need "diabetic" pumpkin pie using fresh pumpkin puree.

-Grainlady

INGREDIENTS
1 medium sugar pumpkin

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Cut pumpkin into small manageable pieces and cut off pith and seeds.
Place cut pumpkin skin side up in a large roasting pan. Add 1/4 water and bake uncovered for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven and allow pumpkin to cool. When cooled, cut away skin and mash or puree. Use in any recipe that calls for canned pureed pumpkin.

o

For a diabetic, one of the worse parts of a pie is the crust, that is where most of the carbs are. WIth Pumpkin you add a double whammy as pumpkin itself is a starchy vegetable thus carbs. So last year we had to figure out wht to do....So I made Pumpkin custard. 1 carb choice per serving (add creamy cool whip for a treat, still one carb choice!!!) Where as a piece of Pumpkin pie was soo much more, even made with splenda (don't use sugar in the crust, so no substitution, and as stated before, most of the carbs are in the crust.

15 ounce can pumpkin
1/2 cup granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar Twin, optional
2 eggs (I used Egg white Egg beaters)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1 cup skim milk)
1/2 cup water (I skipped the water since I used skim milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Combine in a large bowl in order given; beat well. Pour into a large, buttered pie plate. Bake 350, 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Chill before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 97 Calories; 7g Fat; 2g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 91 Calories; 7g Fat; 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Compare this to a sugarles Pumpkin pie has about 20.5 grams of carbs.

Vickey-MN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here