Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: need kid friendly: sugar free, dairy free & yeast f

Posted by hollybee (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 18:14

Hello, My daughter is 10 and is on a rotation diet that is also sugar free, dairy free and yeast free. I need recipes that really work for quick dinners and lots and lots of dessert ideas. I want for her to be able to feel "normal" when it is b-day treat day at school or when she needs snacks/treats for girl scouts, etc. Icing recipes would be great too - don't know how to make that w/o dairy or powdered sugar. Please Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: need kid friendly: sugar free, dairy free & yea

Ouch! If your dd is suffering enough health challenges to have to do a rotation diet, I would strongly suggest avoiding all artificial sugars, as they all are associated with serious health problems, no matter what your doctor may say. A rotation diet suggests lots of allergic-type responses/intolerances/behavior/cognitive issues when she eats sugar, dairy and yeast or gluten, and/or a candida albicans overgrowth.

A wonderful book with recipes that fill the bill AND which may give you a lot of good insights is by Donna Gates, and is called The Body Ecology Diet. Here is a link to the page on her website about her book:

http://bodyecology.com/bedbook.php
It is endorsed by both William Crook, M.D. and Keith W. Sehnert, M.D.

Her diet plan is specifically geared to healing the gut, preventing certain foods from creating such havoc when eaten.

Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig would be another excellent reference to have on your shelf.

If sugar is a problem because of diabetes, I strongly suggest reading Robert Young's books, I'm thinking of one with the name of "The pH Miracle Diet," if my memory serves me. I know someone, personally, who was able to go off of insulin almost completely by changing the pH of her diet. In fact, I was with her every day as this was happening, and saw how she tested her blood sugar and changed her eating schedule just a little bit, in order to make sure her sugar stayed high enough, since every day she needed less and less insulin. The day she needed no insulin at all occurred on the fourth day after she began a highly alkaline diet, despite her doctor's diagnosis that she had Type I diabetes. (She did continue to monitor her blood sugar levels!)

If sugar is a problem because it induces behavior changes, I would suggest seeing if stevia is palatable to your daughter, and if it is not, to try an agave nectar that has been tested and shown to have a very low glycemic index. Agave nectar tastes very similar to honey, but doesn't react in the body the same way.

Sweets: Coconut macaroons, with or without sweetener, is the healthiest treat I can think of. It has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties and has many beneficial effects on the body. Tropical Traditions sells a very pure, fresh-smelling "virgin" coconut oil, organically grown, and made by hand without any solvents. It can be used to cook, to apply to the skin. Tropical Traditions "Coconut Cream" is blended coconut meat that is yummy enough to eat out of a jar, and may be an excellent "frosting" alternative.

Since the 1930's or so, Dr. Johanna Buddwig has been treating people for all sorts of problems using flax oil combined with a sulfur-containing protein like yogurt or "quark." Here is a link to a little piece on her, but reading her books may be helpful, too...and she does have recipes in her books. One doesn't have to use quark, as in her recipes, but quark makers are available on the internet. Sounds odd, but I have heard researchers revisiting her original findings and using the same methods - albeit with different sulfer containing proteins - and explaining why it works.

http://www.budwigflax.com/Articles/Dr Budwig.htm

I'm also passionate about having kids with problems tested for heavy metal toxicity. A simple hair test can tell what, when and how much toxic exposure occurred. Failing to treat for that problem, if it exists, can stall improvement. Fortunately there are simple, oral treatments that have been tested and approved for children.
Sometimes, just treating for that problem alone has resulted in dramatic reversals almost immediately.

Locate and treat the underlying cause of the problem, and in a best-case scenario, she can have a more normal life AND be healthier.

o
RE: LOOKING for: need kid friendly: sugar free, dairy free & yea

1. Think whole foods like fruit, instead of your typical ooey-gooey, high-sugar desserts.

CHOCOLATE-COATED FRUIT PARTY PLATTER
(source: "Get The Sugar Out" by Anne Louise Gittleman)

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
1 T. unsalted butter (coconut oil is a great substitute for butter - and if you are avoiding dairy because of lactose, the higher the fat content of a dairy product, the lower the lactose - butter has very little lactose)
1/2 c. unsweetened apple-juice concentrate
1 t. natural vanilla extract
4 c. fruit (whole strawberries, bananas, navel oranges, kiwis, etc.)

Spray a baking sheet with a vegetable cooking spray (or cover with parchment paper or Release aluminum foil); set aside. In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and cool slightly. Whisk in juice concentrate a little at a time until chocolate is smooth; add vanilla extract. If mixture is too thick, add a little more concentrate until it thins out. Dip ends of fruit into chocolate mix, twirling to coat lower half of each piece of fruit; let excess drip back into pan until all chocolate is used. Place fruit on prepared baking sheet; place in freezer 10 minutes to set chocolate. refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 12 servings of 3 pieces each.
---------------

Marinated Fresh Fruit Kabobs

Marinade:
1/2 c. honey (agave nectar or no-calorie substiute)
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. orange juice

Fruit:
1 c. honeydew melon balls or cubes
1 c. watermelon balls or cubes
1 c. cantaloupe melon balls or cubes
2 large nectarines or peaches, cut into cubes
8-12 bamboo skewers

In small saucepan, combine honey (or substitute) and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice and orange juice. Cool completely.

Combine fruit in medium bowl. Pour marinade over fruit; toss gently. Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors. When ready to serve, place about 12 pieces of fruit on each bamboo skewer. 8-12 kabobs
-------------

Instead of Apple Pie...

Orange Sauced Apples

3 T. agave nectar (or other sweetener)
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. nutmeg or cinnamon or apple pie spice
1 c. orange juice
3 cooking apples
(For French Apple, add some raisins.)

Combine agave nectar, cornstarch, spice, juice, and blend well. Stir in apple slices. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 5-10 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve warm. You can top this with sprinkles of crunchy cereal, homemade sugar-free granola or nuts to give it a "crust".

2. Check your local library for cookbooks on the subject. Here are a few that I have in my library that would have appropriate recipes in them. Have your library get them through inter-library loan if they don't have them on the shelf. The "allergy" cookbooks have recipes for frosting/fillings that are dairy-free, as well as other dessert items.

-The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook - by Marilyn Gioannini
-How Sweet It Is...Without The Sugar - by Jean C. Wade
-The Allergy Self-help Cookbook - by Marjorie Hurt Jones
-Stevia (Naturally sweet recipes for desserts, drinks and more!) by Rita DePuydt

3. If you can use agave nectar (a natural, low-glycemic, honey-like sweetener), I have many recipes you could use. If you are dealing with Candida, then that requires a whole different approach to foods and agave nectar wouldn't be a suitable sugar substitute. I've used agave nectar as a substitute for "sugar" for many years now. An easy way to use agave nectar is as a substitute in recipes that use honey as a sweetener.

"Sugar-Free" is a bit broad. Do you mean free of white table sugar, since things like concentrated fruit juices are also full of "sugar"? White flour and white rice raises blood glucose as quickly as white table sugar, if you are avoiding "sugar" for blood sugar problems. It's easy to substitute agave nectar for sugar in recipes. Muffins and other quick breads also make great "treats" and snacks. Make up batches of mini-muffins and freeze them.

4. Tortillas are a great substitute for yeast-free bread. They can be used for quick meals, including wraps. They are also fun and easy to make at home.

5. Nut milk and rice milk is a great substitute for milk and is easy (and much cheaper) to make at home. Personally, I avoid soy, since it's high on the list of allergens. If it's lactose in milk you are avoiding, then Whey Milk is a great substitute - www.wheymilkusa.com.

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here