Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Liquid diet for cancer patient

Posted by
re
(pa18101@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Sep 4, 01 at 9:50

My father has cancer of the lungs and esophoges and is undergoing radiation treatments. He cannot eat any solid food. We are puree'ing cream soups for him and he eats yogert, ice cream, Boost, Ensure and the like, but we are looking for more variety. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Liquid diet for cancer patient

Hi, My grandma had lung cancer and this was a major problem for us too. We bought one of those puree food processors and we used that a lot. It blends the food up really good. We also gave her stuff like oatmeal, applesause and icecream. You can also try to contact the cancer society for more suggestions. Hope this helped a little. Good luck!
Sara

o

When my DH had neck surgery he had difficulty swallowing with a concoction starting with instant breakfast. I then added 1-2 scoops protein powder - whey or soy, your choice (which gave the protein lacking in the instant breakfast, protein needed for healing). Also added whipping cream for fat, then added whatever appealed to him: chocolate sauce for chocolate, frozen berries, coffee and chocolate for mocoa, etc. Also threw in some ice to make it smooth and cool like a shake. You might want to add some psyllium or wheat germ if he's constipated from the narcotic pain relievers. Whip it up in the blender and it should add to his diet. He might want to take frequent, small meals, also, to make it easier for him.

Best of luck. Hope he comes through all this fine.

Marty

o

You can put chicken noodle soup in a blender. I did when my daughter had her tonsils out. Don't forget liquid Jello. Try different soups in the blender. That way you get taste instead of chunks.
Marie

o

He can take yoghurt, but try to get non-fat ones (as cancer likes fats and sugars). Also try to avoid salt if you can. Here's a recipe for a soup which I'm taking.

3-4 stalks celery
1 med parsley root
garlic as desired
2 small leeks
1 1/2 lb tomatoes
2 med onions
1 lb potatoes
a little parsley

For 1 person use a 4-quart pot, no aluminium ones allowed. Buy organic produce, wash & scrub well, don't peel the veg, cut them corsely, cover with distilled water, simmer slowly (very small flame) for 2 hours, & put thru food mill in smaller portions. Discard any coarse fibre as it's difficult to digest. If too thick, vary the amt of water used for cooking. Keep well covered in fridge no longer than 2 days, warm up as much as needed each time.

From a fellow cancer sufferer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here