Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: veggie burger non-legume

Posted by
djgonzales
(djgonzales@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Aug 25, 01 at 22:04

I am looking for a veggie burger recipe that has no legumes in it and that would include no soy products.

My roommate wants to eat burgers and she can't eat red meat per doctor's orders. She is allergic to legumes with an especially deadly allergic reaction to peanuts.

Most of the recipes and products that I've found use soy and chickpeas, etc.

HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: veggie burger non-legume

I don't actually have a recipe for vegie burgers... but if I was going to make them I'd use mashed potato, chopped cooked carrot, celery, and finely chopped mushrooms for their vitamin content, and I'd bind them together with egg and cooked rice or barley. They won't be anything like meat burgers but they should be yummy.

Good luck finding a recipe!

Karen

o

This is a very good one--

Mushroom Burger

6 ounces portobello mushrooms, diced
1/3 cup onion, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg (or equivalent egg substitute)
black pepper, freshly ground

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are cooked down and liquid has disappeared, about 15 - 20 minutes. Let cool. Combine with rest of ingredients and form into 2 patties. Sprinkle on black pepper. Grill on both sides until heated through. Serve on bun.

To me, this comes closer to being a "burger" than the legume based substitutes.

o

I forgot to mention that the other person in the household is allergic to onions.... Along with tomatos,squash,eggplant, anything in the nightshade family (except bellpeppers) and oranges.

Interesting to cook here! And, I'm lactose intolerant.

o

This is stupid, but are black bans and pinto beans legumes (all beans?)
* Exported from MasterCook *

Balsamic Portobello Burgers

Recipe By : Prevention 7/02 p149
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Meatless Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove minced garlic
1 medium red onion -- cut into 4 rounds
1 medium yellow bell pepper -- cut into strips
4 medium portobello mushroom caps -- stems removed
8 slices sourdough bread
4 ounces fat-free mozzarella cheese

Preheat grill to high and the oven to 450 degrees.

In a 1-cup bowl, thoroughly mix the oil, vinegar, and garlic with a fork. Lightly mist the onion and pepper with cooking spray. Baste the mushrooms on both sides with the oil and vinegar mixture. Grill the mushrooms, onions slices, and peppers until tender.

When the veggies are almost done, put the bread on a baking sheet and spread the cheese over 4 slices. Bake until the cheese just begins to melt, about 3-5 minutes.
NOTES : 5 points, and you can eliminate the peppers.

Bean Burger

Recipe By : Anita Cecena
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Meatless

1/2 cup minced green onion
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons white wine
29 ounces canned pinto beans -- drained
3/4 cup cracker meal
2 egg white
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
In a small nonstick pan, braise the onions and garlic in white wine until soft.
In a medium bowl, combine the sauteed onions and garlic, beans, cracker meal, egg whites, parsley, vinegar, and seasoning. Mash well with a potato masher until blended, but not entirely smooth.
On a parchment-lined nonstick baking sheet, drop the mixture by 1/2 cup amounts and flatten gently with a spoon to form 6 5-inch patties. Bake for 25 minutes, or until set and beginning to brown lightly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Black Bean Patties With Cilantro & Lime

Recipe By : Cooking Light YEAR: 1996 ISSUE: Jan/Feb PAGE: 134
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bean

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
7/8 pound canned black beans -- undrained
1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
Vegetable cooking spray
2/3 cup salsa

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion nd next 8 ingredients (onion through garlic); saut 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans; saut 1 minute. Combine bean mixture, breadcrumbs, cornmeal, cilantro, and lime juice in a large bowl; stir well. Place 1 cup bean mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture and cheese to remaining bean mixture; stir well. Divide mixture into 5 equal portions, shaping each into 6-inch patty. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties, and cook 3 minutes or until browned, turning patties carefully after 1-1/2 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with salsa.

NOTES : Canned beans simplify the preparation of this Southwestern-style recipe. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 patties and 2 tablespoons salsa).

5 points

o

Woops, I meant to say to cut the onions out of the portobello burger, and I didn't mean to send the others.

o

Yes, legumes in this reference are specifically meant as all types of beans, and black beans figure pretty high in most recipes. Personally, I enjoy black beans but I can't use them in a recipe that we're all going to eat. That and those pesky onions (the legume allergy person and I both love onions but her hubby can't eat them.)

Thanks for the post though.

o

My whole family including the carnivores LOVED these. If you have a food processor, grade or shred the zuchini into long narrow strips, if not, cut them.
Patticos ZUCCHINI PATTIES
2 cups grated zucchini
2eggs
2T flour
1T parsley
2T (or 3, to taste) grated parmesan cheese
1 small clove garlic minced or 1t minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together. Drop into hot oil in frypan. Like small pancakes. Cook until edges are browned, turn cook other side. drain on paper towel.
Patti
Make sure they are cooked all the way through. I used olive oil, btw. -- From Pattico on Kitchen Table Forum originally. Shared by Marie

o
Forgot to say . . .

. . .you could leave offf the onions but you probably figured that. The important thing is that this has flour as a binder, and the flour has to be cooked through and through.Or you'll get a tummy ache like I did, first time. I really like the way these patties look. More like something to sink your teeth into!! Portobello mushrooms also make a great "burger" I use them often on the large size buns. Sometimes I give them a little squirt of liquid smoke and the carnies think they're eating steak. Add a big slice of home-grown tomatoes and take a free flight to heaven!!!-- Marie

o

I like zucchini patties, too. Try topping them with tartar sauce.

This is also a favorite of mine.
Source: Vegetarian Times July 1991

POTATO/RICE BURGERS

1/2 lg. cooked potato, mashed
1/2 c. cooked brown rice
1/8 c. dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 T. parmesan
1/4 med. onion, minced
1/2-1 t. Tamari soy sauce
1 T. chopped parsley, or more to taste

Makes 4 thin patties. Serve with Yogurt/Horseradish Sauce.

YOGURT/HORSERADISH SAUCE
1/2 c. non-fat yogurt
1/4 c. (or less) horseradish
1/8 c. finely minced onion
scant 1/4 t. salt
scant 1/4 t. pepper
1/4 c. chopped parsley (optional)

Serve chilled or at room temperature.

And lastly, but the one most often found at my table is Nature's Burger. It's one of a large selection of dry mixes by Fantastic Foods and is usually found in the health food section. I don't happen to have an unopened box in the house right now but I don't think it has legumes. I always think of it as a grain burger. It's flavorful and convenient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here