Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: I made some great low sugar jam!

Posted by MonicaTX (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 04 at 18:55

Hi. I have spend four years trying different store brand low sugar jams and jellies - they all tasted terrible. I tried making some jam a couple of years ago and it was "not great". That is why I wanted recipies. I made some great stuff the other night. The blueberries were on sale at my local store for 2 pints for $3.00.

Blueberry Jam

2 pints blueberries
1 package no sugar pectin
1 package sugar free jello (I used raspberry)
1 cup water
2 teasp. lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (this makes it shine like regular jam)
6 packages Splenda

I only "kinda" followed the directions in the pectin box. I put the washed blueberries in a very large pot and squished them with a potato masher really well. Then I added all the rest, stired it and put it over medium heat. Stir most of the time so it doesn't burn. When it came to a slow boil, lower the heat so it doesn't splatter. After it came to a low boil I stirred it over heat for 3 minutes. Then put it in clean jars with a dishtowel under them. (I had saved the jars) Immediately put the lids on. Let the jam cool on the counter for about 15 minutes then put it in the refrigerator. They should last about 3 months.

If I say so myself, it is great. Hope you'll try it, just for fun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: I made some great low sugar jam!

Monica, can you tell me the name of the no-sugar pectin? Is it right next to the regular pectin? I've made regular jam years ago, but didn't know there was a sugar-free pectin! I'm off to a big farmer's market this weekend and would love to be able to get some fruit for jam! Thanks for your help & for posting your recipe!
Sue

o

I don't remember the name of the pectin I used, but it is NOT Smucker's. I still have the Smucker's in my pantry and checked their recipe and it's different. All I remember, is that it was a name brand. I'll buy some more pectin this weekend in case I find some fruit on sale.

All the pectin's are in the same place in a grocery store. Just go to a big store so they'll have more than one brand. The Smucker's box says "Fruit Pectin - no sugar needed" and the brand I used said about the same thing.

Hope you have fun like I did. Monica

o

Thanks! I'll check at the grocery store here and hopefully I can find some nice fresh fruit at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. Maybe some peach/blueberry jam!! I'll report back next week!
Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here