Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Low carb bread recipe

Posted by
Nardia99
(nardia99@yahoo.co.nz) on
Tue, Aug 28, 01 at 16:29

I am looking for a low carbohydrate bread recipe that I can make in the bread maker. I have tried a lot of recipes but many of them have linseed (flaxseed) which my family don't like much. I like peanut butter in my bread and maybe rice flour. So if anyone can help I would be most grateful.
Aren't we lucky to have these forums?
Nardia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Low carb bread recipe

It will be most difficult to make a true "low carb" bread in or out of a bread machine.

Flours used to make bread must contain gluten in order for the gluten web to form to trap gasses from fermenting yeasts. "rice flour" does not contain gluten. Rice is not low carb but is also high glycemic (converts to sugar fast).

I had the opportunity for a baking techonologist to provide a low carb bread recipe for me. He sent it in bakers percentages instead of cup and spoon measurements. I asked a professional baker to translate the recipe to cups & spoons. He was gracious and translated the recipe but not in measurments but in percentage of carbohydrates for each ingredinet needed/used in the bread recipe. All ingredients contained 99% or about carbohydrate. He proceeded to tell me how bakeries make low carb bread for the market. They bake a smaller loaf and slice it thinner.

In other words there is no bread that is truly low carb. The professional baker tried for several months to make a low carb bread for the market but by the time enough fillers were added the bread was not fit to eat/had no taste. There are fiber fillers used in commercial bakeries that is not available to the home baker but if you used enough to make a real low carb bread you would not want to eat it.

Marie_

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here