Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Qs about butter substitute for low-fat baking

Posted by
Gina
(gbs@mail.com) on
Thu, Aug 2, 01 at 12:00

I saw on tv that you can make low-fat muffins etc. by using applesauce instead of butter. My questions are -

How much butter do you typically replace with applesauce - all of it, half of it? Can you do this with most baked goods like cake etc.?

Will the recipe become too dry with the applesauce, and if so, how do I adjust to make it more moist?

One last question - does it taste the same or nearly the same as when made with butter?

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Qs about butter substitute for low-fat baking

Gina -- I use the same amount of applesauce as the oil, butter, or margarine the recipe calls for, and it works well. Instead of being DRY, the cake/bread is SPONGIER than the oil version. Here's what i did with a PUMPKIN BARS recipe:
subbed applesauce for oil [1 c.]
subbed sweet 'n low for sugar [2c.]
used only the whites of 4 eggs

Did not add the optional nuts or raisins. Did not frost it. Baked it in loaf pan. It is WONDERFUL. My whole family loves it. Gotta make some more.
Original recipe follows w/ original ingred., which i made for SIL's birthday in pyrex dish. Believe it or not, I PREFER the sugarless version!

PUMPKIN RAISIN BARS

2 c. all-purp flour
1/2 t. salt, ditto cloves
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 t. baking powder
4 eggs
1 t. baking soda
15-oz can [2 c.] pumpkin
1 t. CINNAMON
1/2 c. nuts
1/2 c. raisins
1 t. NUTMEG

I probably increased the spices -- i like Allspice -- but made subs as i told you for the bad stuff.
GOOD LUCK!
chery-va

o

Thanks a lot, Chery. Can't wait to try your recipe - it sounds scrumptious, and right up my husband's alley (for whose sake I wanted to know about low-fat baking).

o

For chocolate recipes I use pureed prunes (baby food, actually LOL). Apples or applesauce tasted funny with the chocolate. You can also used mashed banana's, applesauce, apricots, etc. You can also soak raisins until they are plump and soft (may need to heat the water) and puree in a blender until very smooth.

Keep in mind the finished product may be sweeter, denser, brown faster, and may not rise as high.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here