Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: What is your favorite diabetic snack or...

Posted by gailsmith_99 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 02 at 18:58

something fairly easy you can buy from the store to eat, whether it is fruit (name your favorite(s) or an easy recipe (1-3 ingredients). I'm trying to get ideas for very busy people that have to buy/prepare for diabetics, also to get ideas of what works for other diabetics. TIA gail smith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: What is your favorite diabetic snack or...

My husband likes bananas, strawberries, and candy containing Splenda--hard to find. As far as diets, he has found that regular diets seem to work better for him as opposed to so called dietic diets. He tries to limit his nutra sweet intake as this seems to make his blood sugar go UP. He uses Spenda in drinks, coffee, tea, kool aid etc. We watch calories and find many candies, cookies, cakes have less calories than dietetic ones. Angel Food cake is good. Hope this helps you. If you want more info let me know
Marie

o

Angel food cake with crushed strawberries sweetened with Splenda if they are a little tart. I also love grilled fruit. We gill quite a bit so I make a few extras when the grill is going. I especially like papaya grilled also make fresh fruit and yoghurt smooties but you have to keep them small. Just a few raisins or a fig makes me happy. LOL

o

Don't forget salty snacks like popcorn, nachos, pickles... As for sweets, I'm just as "bad" as anyone else who doesn't have diabetes. In fact, having diabetes seems to make me crave sweets more than I ever did before (I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 23, not overweight)!

Soon after I was diagnosed with diabetes, I remember reading that once-in-a-blue-moon, for a very special occasion, I could have a SMALL slice of birthday/wedding cake IF I was careful to scrape all the icing off!!! Forget that!

Instead of following a "diabetic" diet, I just try to eat healthy. I prefer a good cheesecake-bite or brownie to any special diabetic snack. The trick is just not to eat too much. But I feel better, more satisfied, with a truly sinful delicious cookie than with a funny-tasting larger snack. Besides, I simply rearrange my carb-intake for the day (all carbs turn to sugar eventually) or even adjust my insulin-dose, or take a longer walk to make up for the extra carb.

But, as for your quest, Jell-o is good, sometimes. Yogurt with all-fruit jam (or granola) stirred in, cheese & crackers, veges w/ranch dressing, PB on graham cracker, beef jerkey... Protein helps stabilize blood sugars.

Remember that Fruit, though healthier than processed sugar, is still Sugar! Good luck in compiling more ideas - I'd like to hear them as well. : ) Holly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here