SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeekaitis

RECIPE: Reduced-Fat Waffles

joeekaitis
21 years ago

My wife and I began making a lot of low-fat, fat-free and sugar-free substitutions in our diets after my doctor told me to lose some weight and her lab tests revealed blood sugar levels bordering on adult onset diabetes. One thing we just couldn't give up were waffles on the weekend, so I went over my traditional recipe using biscuit and baking mix, and made a few changes that cut down the fat while still producing a satisfying waffle. This and all the other changes must be working because her uncle hadn't seen me between Easter and Mother's Day, and he wanted to know how I had lost so much weight.

In place of butter and regular syrups, we have these with Shedd's Country Crock Calcium Enriched Spread. Cathy sweetens her waffles with a sugar-free syrup and I pour on half-calorie syrup.

I haven't tried to make these in a waffle baker with uncoated grids, so these changes might not work if your waffle iron doesn't have non-stick coated grids.

Reduced-Fat Waffles

1 egg

1/3 cup (heaping) non-fat dry milk

1 1/3 cup water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 cups biscuit and baking mix (store brands work fine and save money :) )

Plug in and preheat the waffle baker (non-stick grids recommended).

Separate the egg and beat the egg white in a small, clean glass mixing bowl to the stiff peak stage. Beat the egg yolk, non-fat dry milk and water until frothy in a 4- or 8-cup glass measuring cup. Add the biscuit and baking mix and the vegetable oil and beat until fairly smooth. Fold in the beaten egg white until the batter takes on a slightly lumpy appearance. DON'T stir it smooth. Let stand 5 minutes.

Dribble the batter in a constantly moving stream onto the bottom grid of the preheated waffle baker until the grid is completely covered. Close and bake 5 minutes. Remove carefully and serve bottom-side up for best presentation.

Comment

Sponsored