Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: gout recipes

Posted by ElsMaMa (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 02 at 0:38

My fiance loves meat, and doesn't feel satisfied if I make a meal without it. He had problems with his toe a while back and it's either gout or a bunion that needs to be removed. He won't know until he has another flare-up, but I'd like to stay on the safe side and try to make more vegetable oriented meals that will fill him up for longer than an hour. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: gout recipes

You can put textured vegetable protein (TVP) in chili, and eventually if you find that he likes the taste, put it in other things too. Vegetarian chili is also good, plenty of protein in beans.

Morningstar Farms makes fake chicken patties, nuggets and buffalo wings that are really good, even to people who are not into fake meat.

You could try cooking a lot of chinese food, with mostly vegetables and the meat just for flavoring rather than a main ingredient. Things like fried rice.

Some pasta dishes use meat mainly for flavoring too, like pasta with bacon and broccoli and spaghetti carbonara.

Cheese-based dishes and egg-based dishes both have lots of fat and protein, which are probably what he craves. Homemade macaroni and cheese is so good.

Meatless lasange. Spinach is the best, with whole milk ricotta, yum!

Risotto.

Enchiladas are much better with vegetables than they are with meat, in my opinion. Spinach enchiladas especially.

Try making meals out of a few heavy dishes that he really likes that are traditionally sides, and just leave out the main course. For instance (I don't know if he likes this stuff but it is just a suggestion), deviled eggs, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, and a vegetable.

What about fish? I don't really know what gout is, but maybe he can eat fish, or shellfish - clam chowder. Corn chowder is good too.

I sometimes just serve salad and baked potatoes with lots of toppings (butter, sour cream, chives, fake bacon bits, broccoli, grated cheese, salsa). Twice-baked potatoes are also good.

Add warm potatoes and/or cauliflower to green salads to make them a bigger part of the meal, and experiment with making your own dressings, which are usually so much better than bottled. Also experiment with adding cheeses to salad. Spinach salad is a nice change if you don't usually have that.

o

Thank you for all the suggestions! It's just really overwhelming to try to change someones way of eating. With gout, you have so many restrictions that it's almost ridiculous. Who ever heard of green beans being bad for you? The really hard part is that my fiance grew up with meat and potato meals, and now it's turned to tofu and lettuce. Thanks again for your help!!

o

The main thing I have heard is stay away from all pork products, especially Ham and Bacon.
Marie

o

I don't know about any vegetables leading to gout problems, except that cabbage is to be avoided at all costs. It is apparently very high in uric acid which is what causes gout.

o

Avoiding uric acid is the key to gout prevention. This means no alcohol! Cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes and other nightshade plants like eggplant are out. You may want into include herbs like parsley and yellow dock root and burdock root which will make him urinate more but which will help get the uric acid out of his system.

o

Still looking for recipes, breakfast, lunches and dinners, any suggestions? please help

o

First of all,
Let make this very clear.
CABBAGE IS GOOD for Gout symptoms and it is relatively low in Uric Acids. Those who disagree, do more research.

Second, pork is TERRIBLE in Uric acids.

Third, Spinach is HORRENDOUSLY high in Uric acids but does not do much damage as long as it is eaten in small portions.

Anita9... please do not post information onto a website that is false. This is about gout and it can be very painful if the information given is misleading. E.G. Your information sucks.

Lastly, fish is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. It is one of the leading CAUSES of gout. This INCLUDES CHOWDER!

Salad is something good to stick to.
Occasionally your husband can have meat but until swelling and redness go down on the particular joint, do not try meat or soup.

Here is a list of foods and ingredients that can be used to cook something good for your husband.

Barley malt syrup, Barley, Bran, Cashews, Cereals (unrefined with honey-fruit-maple syrup), Cornmeal, Fructose, Honey (pasteurized), Lentils, Macadamias, Maple syrup (unprocessed),Low Fat Milk (homogenized) and most processed dairy products, Molasses organic , Nutmeg, Mustard, Pistachios, Popcorn (plain not microwaved), Rice or wheat crackers (unrefined), Rye (grain), Seeds (pumpkin & sunflower), Walnuts, Blueberries, Brazil nuts, Butter (salted), Cheeses (mild & crumbly) , Crackers (unrefined rye), Dry coconut, Egg whites, Goats milk (homogenized), Pecans, Plums , Prunes , Butter (fresh unsalted), Cream (fresh & raw), Milk (raw cow's) , Whey (cow's)

Your husband has taken on the worst disease if he wants to keep eating. For healths sake, do not let him stand by the desert tray, if he is on a diet.

o

There is some extemely false statements here. Be careful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here