Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Where to get dairy-free chocolate?

Posted by
Debbie
(deb_nick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, May 21, 01 at 23:26

My son is allergic to dairy. I have seen recipes that call for dairy-free chocolate but can't find it at my local supermarket. Is this a specialty item, where can I buy it (eg. health food store)? Also, what companies make it (eg. Hershey's?) - prehaps I can phone them and ask for a store near me. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Where to get dairy-free chocolate?

you did not say what type cholate, drinking, cooking, baking, or eating. A good substitue tis carob, which is a powder, or sold as bars for cooking, and eating. Also in the health isle of our grocery is chocolate rice milk and chocolate soy milk which I find are quite tasty. Send me an email, and I can do some further searching in my special catalogs. Darlene

o

I don't know if you are still looking for the special chocolate, but most dark chocolate is dairy-free, especially the ones with a high cocoa content. Read the label carefully before you buy it though, because it might still have milk solids in it. There IS chocolate without milk - I eat it myself. My favourite is diabetic dark chocolate sweetened with fructose. It's expensive, but very nice. You can even get dairy-free soychocolate, but I found that pretty horrible stuff and not worth having.

Good luck!

Karen

o

Trader Joes' Dark Chocolate or Bittersweet Chocolate are both lactose free. My favorite chocolate is Valrhona "Le Noir Amer", which is 71% cacao (Dark bittersweet chocolate). Always read labels, as advised above.

Lars

o

Aha! Here is how you can search for a product type where you know there will be no milk products: look for kosher labels that say 'pareve'. That word means by rabbinical supervision there will be no milk, butter or anything from an udder in there. 'D' or 'dairy' will mean it could be possible. Passover is coming, so the stores will have kosher chocolate of both types - then again, they won't have corn syrups in them either. Long story.

o

It's good to buy crackers that are "pareve" also, to be sure they do not have dairy.

o

Ghirardelli's semi-sweet chips and their 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (formerly Double Chocolate)

ALSO

Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate

Ingredients: Chocolate, sugar (non-bone char refined), cocoa butter, vanilla

o

UPDATE:

I apoligize but it appears that Ghiradelli change the name and formulations of some of the chips. The 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate cips has DAIRY now. However, Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet chocolate chips does not have dairy in them (possible trace amounts).

o

I can not find a milk free chocolate for my son who has milk allergy. Even the dark chocolates like Ghirardelli and Lindt are processed on the equipment with milk, so it has traces of milk, which you do not want for the allergy sufferer.

o

My son loves Enjoy Life chocolate bars. They are free of many allergens including dairy. They are pretty good too. You can go to their website and it will tell you where you can find them and also some coupons. My son is lactose intolerant but milk still makes him very sick. These are great. Luna bars are also dairy free but contain nuts. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

o

Rice Dreams make excellent dairy free chocolate bars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here