Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: low carb/fat *tote-able* snack

Posted by joulesR4me (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 04 at 12:57

I'm just returning to school - that is, night school - which runs from 5-9 pm (straight from work). We get a 15 minute break and I just gotta eat something! I've been loosing some weight by watching my carbs & fat and running. My bf is a trainer and he says I don't eat enough, so he put together a plan for me. He suggested a boiled egg and piece of wheat toast for a snack, but I just can't see sitting there on my break eating an egg! Anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe there'd be some sort of power/nutrition bar, but they're loaded with carbs .....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: low carb/fat *tote-able* snack

How about some cheese and/or sliced LF ham or luncheon meat? I like to snack on pistachios as well. I also buy packages of turkey pepperoni and snack on a couple of those - lots of protein and low carbs. I'm going to be posting a recipe for some low carb blueberry bran muffins later today - you could always grab a couple of those with some cheese. Good luck with it!
Sue

o

popcorn is low carb. My daughter is diabetic and she loves it. There is a white cheddar popcorn by Smart Food (I buy it at Sams) and the 5/8 oz bag has only 9g carbs and its very tasty

o

Are you sure that's for the whole bag, or per serving. I think air popped popcorn has about 6 net carbs per cup, and I can't eat just one cup.

o

This is a recipe I picked up from the South Beach Diet forum.

Baked Oat meal
1/2 cup olive oil
2/3 cup splenda (I think Splenda is bitter so I use Wheylow)
2 eggs
3 cups dry oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
Wisk oil, splenda, and eggs. Add cinn, baking powder, salt, vanila and wisk again. Add oatmeal then milk and mix. Spray 9X9 cooking pan with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Serving size 1/2 cup. VERY YUMMY!

Variation:
1/4 c canola oil and 1/4c unsweetened applesauce, and 1/2c skim milk and 1/2c of plain yogurt. I did use 2 eggs. I think my glass baking dish is 8x8, and I baked it @350 for 30 mins. I think I could have baked it even longer to get 'crispier', but it came out great as is.

small variation (not that this excellent recipe needs it) however since i have a piece of this daily it's nice to mix it up now again. I omit the cinnamon add 1/2 of blueberries, substitute the olive oil for 1 cup of apple sauce (I have those individual cup apple sauce on hand and use one whole one, i think its a cup. I have added a tablespoon of canola oil as well sometimes 2. Whey low brown sugar sprinked on top is nice too. Blueberries are in season and really go well with oatmeal.

I make this recipe weekly and use it as a tote-able snack. Here's a link to the Wheylow site.

Meg :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheylow Sugar Substitute

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here