Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Low Carb Blueberry Bran Muffins

Posted by teddymom (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 04 at 9:47

I made these this morning and they are really good. I don't like the strong taste of the Splenda, so perhaps next time I will cut back on it or substitute some honey. I also didn't have soy milk and used half & half instead. Loads of flavor with the added orange peel & cinnamon! Enjoy.
Sue

Blueberry Bran Muffins

2 cups fresh blueberries
1-1/2 cups all bran cereal with extra fiber(has less sugar)
1-1/2 cups plain soy milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup Splenda
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest(colored peel)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cups chopped pecans

Wash the blueberries, then remove the stems. Lay the berries on a paper towel to dry.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Grease your muffin tins or line them with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cereal and the soy milk; soak this mixture for about 15 minutes. Stir in egg, oil, Splenda, orange zest, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nuts. Gently stir in the blueberries.
All at once, add the dry ingredients to the cereal mixture. Gently stir, just until blended. Do not over-stir! Too much stirring destroys the light texture of muffins. Spoon the batter into greased or paper-lined muffin tins.
Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, until the cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Makes 18 muffins.

1 muffin:
8 g. fat, 12 g. total carb., 3 g. protein, 4 g. fiber

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Low Carb Blueberry Bran Muffins

Sue,
Thanks for posting the recipe i will have to make this it sounds good.
Ilene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here