Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Very low salt Bean Soup

Posted by tootie_48 (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 1:47

My husband has CHF. He is on a very low salt diet. Can someone give a really good recipe for Bean Soup (he loves it). It is really hard to flavor without some sort of salted pork product.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Very low salt Bean Soup

My husband was diagnosed with CHF about four years ago. Since then I've been cooking low sodium dishes exclusively. I've also got a blog that chronicles my low sodium experience. I've listed quite a few resources for information, recipes, & products on the right side of the blog. Take a look. You might find a valuable resource there.

Regarding flavor for bean soup, or any other soup, for that matter, I've used the low sodium ham flavored broth base from Redi-Base. It gives you that smokey ham flavor without all the salt. Redi-Base has a nice selection of low sodium bases too.

http://www.redibase.com/products/index.php?arr1=0&itemid=13

Also, I've stirred in a teaspoon or more of Wright's liquid smoke in bean soup. It adds that smokey flavor too. I've used plain old pork chops (the kind without salt added) to flavor bean soup. Brown them really well and deglaze the pan with water or low sodium chicken broth. It's not smokey or salty but still pretty tasty.

Soupbase.com is another source for good quality low sodium broth bases. I've found that Redi-Base & SoupBase have good flavor and much lower salt content than any of the so-called lower sodium broths available at the grocery store.

https://www.soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=24

Here is a link that might be useful: Please, DON'T Pass the Salt!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here