Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Low to No salt diet

Posted by marthapartha (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 22:31

My dad is not doing well. He has to eat less than 900mg of sodium a day to survive. He is in the end stages of critical aortic stenosis, and at 87, not a candidate for valve replacement (also because he is not the ruler of a small country---ya know money and fame)

I can't cook.

Meals on Wheels, from the local hospital, can't or won't tell me how much sodium is their "low sodium" fare. There are so easy. Pay em and they show up.

I tried some of the stuff being delivered. It is gross. As reasonable as it is, I can't believe they charge for the slop.

Did I mention I can't cook?

He has no cholesteral restrictions, but has to watch the sugar, he is almost diabetic.

What can I feed the guy to make him feel better?

marf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Low to No salt diet

Marf,

Here's a very simple, but tasty recipe:

3# boneless/skinless chicken breasts*
Mrs. Dash seasoning (I prefer the extra spicy flavor)
6oz pineapple juice (Dole sells them in a 6 pack)

I use an 8 x8 or 9 x9 glass pyrex baking dish. Pack the breasts in the dish. Shake Mrs. Dash over the chicken generously. Pour the pineapple juice over the chicken. Cover w/ foil wrap. Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Obviously this makes a lot of chicken, but it is easily re-heated in the microwave or slice up cold for sandwiches.

Chicken can be served over steamed white rice and vegetable of choice (easy option: frozen broccoli in a small bowl w/ about 1 inch of water and microwave for 2 minutes).

***Be CAREFUL when you buy the chicken breast. Don't buy any that has been 'enhanced w/ broth' as that will contain too much sodium! Around here Sanderson Farms sells chicken w/o the added broth.

Kerri

o
RE: RECIPE: Low to No salt diet

Try some of the recipes here, no salt. Takes some getting use to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt free recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here