Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Macaroni salad with mashed chick peas

Posted by Teri2 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 03 at 15:59

Not certain if it was on this board but I'm trying to locate a fairly recent post about using mashed chick peas as a substitute for tuna in tuna/macaroni salad. Anyone else see it?

Teri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Macaroni salad with mashed chick peas

I am not sure which post you mean, but I have used chick peas as a "yolk" substitute in deviled eggs, and egg salad (made with the whites only and the chick peas).

If I will be using them in the blender, I leave the skins on. If not, I slip the peels off because I don't like the texture in these things.

So, I slip the skins off, and if they are nice and soft I use as is. If not I simmer in some water for a bit to soften. Some brands of canned chick peas are "harder" than others, I have found. Drain, cool, and mash. Or put through a ricer, or mouli, food processor, etc.

I found that when mixed with mayo type dressings, it really looks and has the texture and creaminess of yolks.

o

I hadn't heard about using them as a yolk substitute. So you're replacing the yolk why? the fat? And then do you also use fat-free dressing? I'm afraid that would nix it for me. I don't even like low-fat mayo.

I sometimes use mashed chick peas in a macaroni salad that is OK, but not wonderful. But I thought I saw someone post a recipe using chick peas mixed with - applesauce maybe?

Teri

o

Basically to get the creamy texture and yellow colour that a hard cooked yolk provides, with less fat and cholesterol. I use "light" mayonaise or salad dressing due to personal preference, but not fat free (which is sweet white vinegar jello to me). I also think that chickpeas have a sort of creamy aftertaste that suggest fat where there isn't any. I can use a little less mayo because of that.

I have a father that wants to eat 12 deviled eggs but shouldn't due to heart considerations and sugar problems. By replacing all or some of the yolk I feel better when he sneaks the 12 he wants to eat ;)

o

Well, I haven't found the macroni salad recipe but I did come up with a really good chick pea sandwich spread that I found at allrecipes.com, submitted by Carole.

Mock Tuna Salad

1-19 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
2 T. mayonnaise
2 t. spicy mustard
1 T. sweet pickle relish
2 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine garbanzo beans, mayonnaise, mustard, relish, chopped green onions, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Teri's notes: I mashed the beans in the Cuisinart until creamy. Used about twice as much green onion. This makes a great sandwich spread with lettuce and a little more mayo on toast. Try not to expect tuna; it's not. But it's a wonderful sandwich spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here