Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Diabetic jelly & jam recipe

Posted by Elvis (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 02 at 14:09

I have a friend I like to send jellies & jams I make to. She's diabetic, though, and could do without the sugar. Any recipes out there? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Diabetic jelly & jam recipe

Try Spenda, we did making Crab Apple Jelly, turned out good, but on the soupy side. Got some recepies thru the North Dakota University extensions department. Need more infor--let me know and I will do additional research
Marie

o

I just made blueberry sugar-free jam. I used Splenda as a sugar-substitute. I knew that commercial pectins wouldn't work to thicken it so I just cooked it until it was thick enough (about 220 degrees on a candy thermometer if you want to check it that way). It took about 30 minutes but came out great. Just remember to cook it down and then let it cool to see how thick it really is. It won't get any thicker when you put it in the jars. I then put it in sterilzed jars and hot water bath processed it for 5 minutes. You have to be really careful when using Splenda, as far as sterilizing, etc. Splenda does not have the anti-bacterial properties that sugar does.

o

Good to know Angel,
I've been searching for the answers as to why jelly recipes with splenda were short lived. Good advise on the boiling down too....now I can proceed with as little of the vile stuff as possible.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here