Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: yeast free breads?

Posted by
Eileen
(ecr531@webtv.net) on
Wed, Apr 11, 01 at 9:18

Hi all....
I am looking for a recipe for a yeast free bread, due to a yeast allergy. I know others have used baking soda. Can anyone help? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: yeast free breads?

Eileen:
Here's a bread recipe I found that uses baking soda AND baking powder. Haven't made it yet so don't know what it is like, but the reviews for it sounded OK. I got it from epicurious.com, searching under bread. (BTW, most Irish soda breads use baking soda instead of yeast.)
If you want a regular-shaped loaf of bread, bake it in a loaf pan. There would probably be a slight change in the baking time so keep a close eye on it.

Jane

IRISH SODA BREAD - A perennial favorite on both sides of the Atlantic, this raisiny bread makes fine, fragrant toast.

4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins or dried currants, rinsed in hot water and patted dry
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
2 cups buttermilk

Into a large bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and the baking soda and stir in the raisins and the caraway seeds.
Add the buttermilk and stir the mixture until it forms a dough.
Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute.
Halve the dough, with floured hands shape each half into a round loaf, and transfer the loaves to a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut an X 1/4 inch deep across the tops of the loaves with a sharp knife.
Bake the loaves in the middle of a preheated 350F. oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
Transfer the loaves to racks and let them cool.

Makes 2 loaves.

Gourmet
October 1991

o
RE: LOOKING for: yeast free breads?

I've tried soda bread. It's delicious, but needs to be eaten while very fresh. It's so easily made that it isn't difficult to bake every day.
The fruit can be ommited for a savoury bread. Also, if you can't get hold of buttermilk, use skimmed milk and a teaspoon of lemon juice.The acid is what reacts with the baking soda to make the bread rise.
Of course this sort of bread is not suitable for sandwiches, but is an ideal filler with salad, etc. and is lovely warm with a wholefood soup.
I have just found out that I am sensitive to gluten as well as yeast. Does anyone have a soda bread recipe using flours other than wheat or oat?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pat and Mike's Homepage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here