Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Gout - Food Restrictions?

Posted by annie1971 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 08 at 21:13

My husband's friend is coming to visit and has suffered with gout in is little toe, which I guess is extremely painful and debilitating. He has told me in the past that any amount of protein, whether it be soy protein or meat, chicken or dairy, is a problem. Now that he's coming to visit, however, he says that he can eat anything -- no restrictions! I'm baffled by this and want to make sure that I don't cook something that will cause a flair-up.
Can anyone provide more insight with respect to gout and food limitations? Really don't want to take him to the airport in a wheel chair!
Thanks for any cooking help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Gout - Food Restrictions?

Maybe he went to the doctor and received treatment or learned he doesn't have gout. The list of things that he says caused gout is a little longer than the things that actually cause gout. All of the items he listed don't have uric acid. Also gout is usually not associated with the little toe, but rather the big toe, ankle, joints, etc. I suppose its possible, but maybe he is taking the medicine. I would be surprised if you would be serving him anchovies, liver, kidneys, broccoli and some of the major items that cause it anyhow.
some people lately have complained that drinking a lot of REd Bull can bring on gout. I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here