Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Diabetic Flaxseed Cookies

Posted by moncurlady (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 14:24

Does anyone have a recipe for the above. Haven't found much on the web that doesn't call for tons of sugar & fat, which i have to avoid. I use Splenda in my baking, so i can use that in lieu of sugar.

Many thanks for any recipes offered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Diabetic Flaxseed Cookies

Why don't you just add freshly-milled flaxmeal (up to 1/2 c.) to your favorite cookie recipe (you may want to reduce the flour a little, but it's not always necessary). I add flaxmeal to EVERYTHING I bake - no special recipes necessary. In some instances, you can also reduce the fat because flax will help replace it.

I'd also suggest trying Agave Nectar instead of Splenda, for baking. Agave Nectar is a low-glycemic, honey-like, natural sweetener that works like sugar in baking. It ferments when used in yeast breads - unlike Splenda, and browns - unlike Splenda (or other chemical sweeteners). For every cup of sugar called for, you only need 1/2-3/4 c. of agave nectar.

Check out the book, "The Flax Cookbook" by Elaine Magee, P.P.H., R.D. I think you will find several cookie recipes that will meet your needs. Check your local library for this book, and if they don't have it, ask them to get it through inter-library loan.

Grainlady

o
RE: RECIPE: Diabetic Flaxseed Cookies

Many thanks for your input, Grainlady...i will check out the Flax Cookbook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here