Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Seasonings for special diet

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 06 at 3:25

My mother has been placed on a special diet. She is not to have foods with salt and she is not coping well with this. I want to know what seasonings a person can use that would make cooked meals taste okay. I know about Mrs. Dash, but are there other ones. How about seasoning salt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Seasonings for special diet

Ask the dietition for help, or the America Heart Association. There are many alternatives avaiable. Reman Publishing magazines like Tasty Light, etc are good, along with Cooking light etc. Cooks.com has information avaiable also

o

I rely on fresh herbs from my garden, lots of pepper, and sodium-free prepared mixes like Cento (Italian) and Sylvia's (Soul food/Southern). There are a lot of sodium-free seasoning mixes out there; you just have to look for them. I know McCormick has a sodium-free line now. And have you tried the Mrs. Dash 10-minute marinades? They're great for grilling meat and veggies - I use them indoors with my trusty little George Foreman.

Here's a link to a website with lots of good info and a large archive of low-sodium recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low-sodium cooking

o

Seasoned salt is mostly salt, so no, that wouldn't work.

My husband is on a low-salt diet, and we just use other seasonings like freshly ground black pepper, fresh herbs, lemon zest, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here