Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for recipe for homemade lactose free milk

Posted by duchessofblackpool (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 15:26

My local market charges $4.99 for a half gallon of Lactaid milk. I was wondering if anyone has a method of creating this at home. I don't want to take Lactaid capsules if I can help it since I'd like to just have the milk handy whenever I feel like a drink. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for recipe for homemade lactose free milk

You can (sorta) "create" low-lactose several ways....

#1. Our adult son and now our granddaughter are both lactose intolerant and have used a low-lactose whey-based milk substitute called Morning Moo's (www.moosmilk.com) for many years. I make homemade pudding mixes with it, use it as a substitute for evaporated milk by making it "double" strength. I use the dry powder in mashed potatoes for really extra fluffy mashed potatoes. I add the powder to potatoes boiled in a small amount of water to make potato soup. I make flavored cocoa mixes using the dry powder and flavored non-dairy creamer powders, but it also comes in a chocolate flavor.

This particular whey-based milk substitute has the best flavor of these types of whey-based products - nearly like milk. It's inexpensive per gallon when you purchase it in large bulk quantities (24.25# bucket - or larger).

Our son (almost 31) has used a whey-based milk substitute "milk" since he was 4 years old on the advise of a pediatrition. Yes, there is some lactose, but most people who are lactose intolerant can consume low levels of lactose without any problems.

#2. Another point to know... There is a percentage of lactose in dairy products (see link below). As a general rule of thumb, the higher the fat content the lower the lactose. The longer a cheese has aged, the lower the lactose. That's why most people who are lactose intolerant don't have any problems with consumption (in low to moderate amounts) of things like butter (0.8-1.0%) or cream. There's very little lactose in it.

#3. Fermentation also alters the lactose. I make homemade kefir (using almost any kind of milk), and it reduces the lactose to a very low, very digestible, level.

I use homemade kefir as a substitute for buttermilk and use it in our smoothies everyday (along with some kind of 100% fruit juice - 50/50 and other additions like flax meal, etc.). The longer you ferment the kefir, the thicker the curd gets. You can drain the thick curd like you would yogurt for yogurt cheese, and depending on how long it drains, I use it as a substitute for plain yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, and even a cottage cheese type product. Do a Google search for - Dom's Kefir Insite - for more information about kefir.

#4. Keep Coffee-Mate Single-Serve Portions (the size used for individual use in coffee/tea) on hand (I can get a box of 50 at Wal-Mart). They are lactose FREE and don't require refrigeration. Perfect for adding to oatmeal - as I found out during a recent ice storm when we were without electricity for an extended period of time. I could make instant oatmeal with water heated on our camp stove, and added the liquid from 2-3 creamers to the oatmeal. You can also mix the powdered non-dairy creamers with water and make "milk" for topping your morning cereal.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Lactose Percentages of Foods

o

Grainlady,
Thank you for all the info. The rule that the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose level is fascinating and seems to explain why I can safely use heavy cream in my coffee (I know it's very fattening!!). It also explains why I can eat whole milk ricotta without any problem yet the part skim variety causes gastric issues.

Thanks again.

o

If you make homemade yogurt, and ferment it for 24 hr. instead of the normal 4-6 hr. the lactose is removed. I am on a colon diet, and this is recommended for those with problems. Also there are other milks, like nut milks and rice milk for those intolerant to lactose. Also in the health food store are pills made by Enzematic Therapy, they have a whole line of digestion type pills. One is for lactose digestion, one for vegetables and beans, and so on.

o

I love Soy milk!

o

Look into raw milk! if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where it's not too hard to get. i swear for it.

Most people who are lactose intolerant CAN drink raw milk with no problems. Look at realmilk.com and google weston price to find out more. Apparently the pasteurization of milk is destroying the enzymes that reduce the lactose. I also swear for kefir and also point to Dom's site.

o

I'm lactose intolerant, and have finally found something that actually TASTES like real milk. It's made by Hood, and it's called "Calorie Countdown". It's a product that isn't really meant for lactose intolerant people, but was developed for the low-carb dieter. But to take out the carbs, they took out the lactose and replaced it with Splenda. I use the fat-free version, so there are only 45 calories per cup. Anyway, I've had absolutely no problem using this for drinking, cooking -- anything I'd use regular milk for, because basically, it really is milk that has just had the lactose removed. As long as you don't mind that it's been replaced with an artificial sweetener, there's no problem. MacThayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here