SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_gw

LOOKING for: Hunza diet bread

paul
23 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for the recipe for Hunza diet bread. Supposedly from Sweden or some. Thanks.

Comments (50)

• RITA fENSKE
    23 years ago

tHIS IS AN OLD RECIPE i USE TO GET IT AT A CHICAGO BAKERY YEARS AGO.

• Linda/Ga
    23 years ago

Paul; go to breadrecipe.com there is a box there--type in hunza bread--it will take you to it.

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Hunza diet bread recipe............

Q

Comments (8)
    The canola oil is important to the recipe. This was the answer to the same concern about canola oil, from a website that I get sent to Disney for trying to post. The canola oil story is a HOAX!! And that's all there is to it. Any "warnings" from an e-mail are 99 percent certain to be lies and hoaxes. Don't buy into it. "What we have here is a bit of truth about a product's family history worked into a hysterical screed against the product itself. There is no earthly reason to give any credence to this rumor -- Canola oil is not the horrifying product this widely-disseminated e-mail makes it out to be, nor has the FDA turned loose on the American public a health scourge worthy of being named one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. An appreciation of what this scare is based upon begins with a better understanding of what canola oil and how it came into being. The rape plant (Brassica napus) is a member of the mustard family, as claimed in the e-mail. However, before associations between rape and mustard gas set in too strongly, it should be noted turnip, cabbage, watercress, horseradish, and radish are also members of this family of plants. Rapeseed oil has been used for cooking for centuries in Europe, India, China, and Japan. As modern science is finding out, its previous use wasn't necessarily a guarantee of safety. Cooking at high temperatures with unrefined rapeseed oil now appears to be related to an increased risk of lung cancer because at high temperatures cooking oil gives off chemicals capable of causing mutations in cells. Unrefined rapeseed oil is particularly notable for this, but other oils also have this association. Those intent upon doing large amounts of wok cooking with any sort of cooking oil should therefore lower their frying temperature from the 240C to 280°C called for in Chinese cooking to 180°C. Rapeseed oil naturally contains a high percentage (30-60%) of erucic acid, a substance associated with heart lesions in laboratory animals. For this reason rapeseed oil was not used for consumption in the United States prior to 1974, although it was used in other countries. (Americans chose to use it as a lubricant to maintain Allied naval and merchant ships during World War II.) In 1974, rapeseed varieties with a low erucic content were introduced. Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. (This change was accomplished through the cross-breeding of plants, not by the techniques commonly referred to as "genetic engineering.") By 1978, all Canadian rapeseed produced for food use contained less than 2% erucic acid. The Canadian seed oil industry rechristened the product "canola oil" (Canadian oil) in 1978 in an attempt to distance the product from negative associations with the word "rape." Canola was introduced to American consumers in 1986. By 1990, erucic acid levels in canola oil ranged from 0.5% to 1.0%, in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards. This light, tasteless oil's popularity is due to the structure of its fats. It is lower in saturated fat (about 6%) than any other oil. Compare this to the high saturated fat content of peanut oil (about 18%) and palm oil (at an incredibly high 79%). It also contains more cholesterol-balancing monounsaturated fat than any oil except olive oil and has the distinction of containing Omega-3 fatty acids, a polyunsaturated fat reputed to not only lower both cholesterol and triglycerides, but also to contribute to brain growth and development. In other words, it's a healthy oil. One shouldn't feel afraid to use it because of some Internet scare loosely based on half-truths and outright lies."
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Here's Hoping Hunza

Q

Comments (0)
    My wife and I made the bread from the recipe posted on here. We like it and plan on giving it a real good try. We did not find the Soya powdered milk so we used just plain creamer product an off brand, made up 4 oz plus added in some lecithin to help take the place of the soy. We take lecithin every day so we had it on hand. The bread is okay. Far from being the best bread I have ever eaten in my life, as has been said. It is tasty enough though to get us through a day and hopefully we will see a change in our size eventually. We just started it yesterday evening. Here's hoping it will be THE ONE gimick that will work for us. If God could use a jackass to preach I suppose this bread could be used to make some difference in our lives, we hope so. Good eating to all.....
    ...See More

LOOKING for: diet pasta lunches & breakfasts

Q

Comments (3)
    for the pasta simply blend together tomatos, salt, a clove of garlic (if you like), a leaf or two of basil, a drizzle of olive oil. very simple and def. won't make your gut grow out of your pants!! You can eat this with hot or cold pasta.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Low Sodium and Diabetic Diet and Recipes

Q

Comments (3)
    My Dad has the same problems as your Dad. You should make your own bread. Bread has lots of sodium and you can make it sodium free. Milk has lots of sodium. You can buy soy or other grain milks but they have lots of sodium also. But, you can make rice milk real easy and not add salt and either drink or use it in your receipes and it is sodium free. If a salad dressing calls for oil, use water and thicken with cornstarch or arrowroot. I use Fetherweight Baking powder (no sodium), EnerG egg replacer (0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 5 mg. sodium), EnerG baking soda (no sodium). I create my own receipes for my Dad. I gave him a low sodium cookbook (uses less than 500 mg. sodium in a days meals). I cannot remember the name of it. E-mail me and I will let you know.
    ...See More
  • ken
    23 years ago

breadrecipe.com offers a bread that is Hungarian in origin. What Paul is looking for is a bread supposively originating with the Hunzas of Tibet.

• Mag One
    23 years ago

I posted a reply to another posted on this subject. The sweet bread is Hungarian. The "Diet Bread" is supposedly a recreation of one from Alexander the Great's Army. Invented by "a housewife from New York State."

I am beginning to think it is a scam, because I searched on all the names of the people in the e-mail, also the name of the "research institute" that supposedly did studies, and came up with nothing. The only place any of them came up was in the article advertising the bread, which is the same as the e-mail that people got.

I would still like to see the recipe, if one actually exists.

• Terrence Vaughan
    23 years ago

Hi, I received an e-mail with the recipe for the hunza bread. It works great, I have lost about 7lbs in a week eating the bread.I was looking for variations for the bread, and that's when I found your posting.

• Mag One
    23 years ago

OK, what's the recipe????

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

• Tosi
    23 years ago

The Hunza diet bread IS a scam. I received a spam
    telling that a housewife in New York invented it.
    I did a web search and found another spam saying
    a housewife in Sweden invented it. I didn't know
    New York is in Sweden :)
    Curiously enough, the housewife in New York was called
    Irene Sette and the housewife in Sweden was Lotte
    Svenson. Both were married to a researcher. Same story,
    different names and places. The New Yorkers were
    selling the recipe for $10 and the swedes for $20.
    Maybe the swedes had double portions :)
    Don't send your money to scamsters. Below is the
    recipe I found in the web for free, if you really want
    to try it.

Hunza Diet Bread

: : : Ingredients:

: : : 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    : : : 2 cups bread flour
    : : : 1 cup whole wheat flour
    : : : 1/4 cup wheat germ
    : : : 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    : : : 1 teaspoon salt
    : : : 2 tablespoons butter
    : : : 3/4 cup golden raisins
    : : : 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    : : : 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    : : : 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

: : : Directions:

: : : 1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select the Dough/Manual setting and Start.

: : : 2. After the first rise, remove the bread from the bread machine. Shape into two loaves, and place into lightly greased 7x3 inch loaf pans. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume, but not more than
    an inch above the top of the pan.

: : : 3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes

• Mag One
    23 years ago

That is the Hungarian recipe. The New York recipe doesn't have wheat flour, raisins, ginger or sugar. I think that is the one the Swedish scammer is selling. That is NOT the one that is the died bread!!!

I don't know the New York recipe, but I do know for sure it is not the Hungarian bread.

• Mag One
    23 years ago

The recipe for the DIET (not "died," sorry, LOL!) bread would be something like one of these on this site. (But if you ate the Hungarian bread for a diet, maybe it would be "died." LOL!)

BTW, the confusion is because "hunza" is also the Hungarian word for "raisin."

Here is a link that might be useful: real Hunza bread

• Henry Hartley
    23 years ago

My wife also received the SPAM about Hunza Diet Bread. Hunza is a region in northern Pakistan, known for its scenic beauty (and they grow fine apricots). You get there, usually, by flying to Gilgit (mentioned in the SPAM) and taking a bus or van north on the Karakoram Highway (for suitably large values of highway). The Hunza region, known locally as Gojal is on the Hunza River with Rakaposhi (25,550 feet) dominating the skyline. The 15th century Baltit Fort is now a museum. Near by is the Batura Glacier.

The people living there are generally very friendly but certainly do not fit the description in the email. It describes them as "the healthiest people on earth" which, with all due respect to the actual Hunza people, is not even close to being true. It goes on to say:

"The Hunzas exist isolated from the rest of the world in the Himalayan Mountains where they live to be 110 to 120 years old. They have no cancer, heart attacks, or other major disorders to speak of. They are active and fit to the very end. Men father children at 100 years and older. Overweight people are unheard of because they have the perfect weight control system."

We had a hard time reading this and not laughing. The only reason overweight people are uncommon there is the region is so poor. We brought medical supplies when we came and didn't take any out with us when we left. For the most part, they were small, fragile, often bent people working hard to eke out a living in a harsh climate and rugged terrain.

Just thought I'd set the record straight. I'd be interested if anyone actually sent money to these folks and actually heard from them again (which is the really unlikely part).

If I have the time, I'll post some pictures on my web site. I'll let you know if I do that.

Henry

Here is a link that might be useful: Pakistan Pictures (Coming Soon)

• Mag One
    23 years ago

Hi, Henry, what you said is one of the (many) reasons I didn't send them my money ... $7 is $7. All I really know about the Hunzas is what I've read in National Geographic. but I know enough to be skeptical about the claims about that bread.

Did you read the part about the rat tests? They "cured" all the Western diet rats from all their ailments and their hostility ... Please ....

Anyhow, I would still like to see the recipe - if one exists. Sooner or later I hope somebody buys it, and posts the recipe ... NOT the Hungarian one.

• paul
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Someone sent me a recipe that sounds about right. I haven't tried it yet, when I do I will let you know.

• thom habecker
    23 years ago

Isn't it something? Develope or make up a recipe and then sell it online. I hope if you bought it at least tastes good. Brown sugar or refined sugar of any kind in a "healthful/diet recipe" go and try to figure that out! I can't, it makes my head hurt to think about it. Respond to this address if you have an answer.

• craig
    23 years ago

Here's an url that looks believable

http://www.livingslim.com/wwwboard/messages/2999.html

Here is a link that might be useful: LivingSlim.com

• sommer
    23 years ago

Hunza may stand for raisin in hungarian, but the Hunza Diet Bread has nothing to do with hungarian raisins. I know nothing of the new diet bread that is out beyond I'm getting sick of the spam in my mail, but Hunza are a tribe that had amazing longevity and the Hunza Bread everyone is talking about is supposed to be a recipe by this tribe, not a housewife in the US. I don't know if the recipe posted is the one the diet is all about, but I do know if you wish to learn more on the Hunza's themselves, you can always go to the following url to learn of their existance and a bit about their longevity.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02healthlibrary/0203longevitycat/020302Hlthyhunza/02030201.html

• Mag One
    23 years ago

The "Hunza Diet Bread" is only called that because it sounds impressive. It has nothing to do with the Hunza people.

It is almost identical to a camping bread recipe a neighbor has, called Logan Bread. The only difference is that the so called Hunza bread has millet flour and the Logan bread has spelt or whole wheat.

My previous post has a link to some bread from the Hunza people. Maybe it would work, but I don't know where you would find "glacier milk." LOL!

• Diane Parker
    23 years ago

This bread has nothing to do with a diet. Any bread you eat will fill you up quickly. But the bread is very tasty I had it about 4 years ago from a Hungarian friend. You can find the recipe here http:breadrecipe.com....This is the exact recipe my friend uses...Eating it while it is warm with or with out butter is the best. Don't send you money in now you can have it free thanks to my hungarian friend.

• Jamers
    23 years ago

I found this on another web site. Hope it helps. Would love to credit the poster but I don't remember who it was. This is the $20.00 Swedish recipe. I have not tried it yet. I'll let you know.

J

HUNZA DIET BREAD RECIPE
    Hunza Diet Bread is a delicious, dense, chewy bread that's very nutritious and is almost impervious to spoilage. The following recipe makes a huge batch of approximately 60 (sixty) x 2 inch squares, high in protein, vitamins and minerals.
    Keeps weeks at room temperature, even longer in the fridge and indefinitely in the freezer. The recipe for this wonderful bread is as follows: -

* 4 cups of water
    * 3.5 (three & one half) to 4 pounds of natural buckwheat or millet flour
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of canola oil
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of natural unrefined sugar
    * 16 ounces of honey
    * 16 ounces of molasses
    * 4 ounces of powdered soya milk (half cup)
    * 1 teaspoon sea salt
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder (non aluminium)

Hunza Diet Bread has a taste that is very satisfying and chewy all on its own, but you may also add if required, apricots, raisins, chopped walnuts, almonds, sliced dates to the above ingredients. Mix ingredients. Grease and lightly flour cooking pan(s). Ideally use baking trays with about 1 inch high sides. Pour batter in pan(s) half an inch thick over the base. Bake at about 300 degrees farenheit (150 C.) for 1 hour. After cooking, dry the bread in the oven for two (2) hours at a very low heat - 90 degrees farenheit (50 C). After it is cooled tip out and cut into approx 2 inch x 2 inch squares. Store it wrapped in cloth in a container.
    You may need to repeat the baking depending on the size of your baking pan, and oven, until all the mixture has been used.
    Hunza Diet Bread is made from natural buckwheat or millet flour. It is rich in phosphorous, potassium, iron, calcium, manganese and other minerals, as nothing has been destroyed in the preparation from the wheat. Thus it contains the essential nourishment of the grain. This is why you must ONLY use natural buckwheat or millet flour to make your own Hunza Diet Bread..... Good luck and good health .. bon appetite :-)
    Suggestions to lose weight with HUNZA DIET BREAD There are many ways to do it. This is another benefit. It's flexible. Here are some typical plans. Each piece of bread is thinly spread with butter for a total of approximately 100 calories.
    Plan A: Eat 1 piece every 5 hours of the 16 hours you're awake. That's 3 pieces which total 300 calories. This is the fastest way to lose weight I know of. It works faster than any high protein diet. Why? You have more energy and burn more calories. Second, the high fiber bread keeps your digestive system regular. Third, your body stays healthy. A healthy body means a properly functioning metabolic system.
    Plan B: Really gorge yourself with the bread. Two pieces every four hours for a total of 8 pieces but only 800 calories. You'll...

• Mag One
    23 years ago

LOL! that is the EXACT same one that a friend paid $7 for off a website from New York. That exact same one is also on that Living Slim link.

On another BB there was a raisin bread recipe that the poster paid $20 from Sweden. High fat, high sugar, EXTREMELY NON-diet.

Could there be TWO Swedish "diet bread" offers??? One a raisin bread scam, and the other the same as the New York one?

• Lindsey
    23 years ago

I found the recipe for the "famous" Hunza Diet Bread on the Living Slim link, but I'd like to know if it really works?
    Is there any one out there that has actually lost any weight off of this so-called miracle diet?

• Penny
    23 years ago

Okay, I've got all the ingredients for the hunza diet bread except for sea salt. I don't live near the shore. Where can I find it?

• Jamers
    23 years ago

Penny,

Most stores carry it. If your local grocery doesn't carry it, try the health food store. I'm making it tonight. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Jamie

• Elaine Hunter
    23 years ago

I found the recipe on livingslim.com, the one that starts with 4 cups of water, buckwheat or millet flour, etc. However I changed it a bit, as follows:

I made only 1/2 recipe, as buckwheat comes in a 2 lb bag (Arrowhead Mills). And that's about all I could manage mixing up at a time. It filled a large 3/4" deep cookie pan just right.

I added 3/4 cup carob powder (makes it tasts a bit like brownies, carob is considered highly beneficial for Type O--I've been tryingto follow the Blood Type O dietary recommendations--and I like it, too)

I accidentally added about 2 oz too much of oil.

1 t ginger instead of cinnamon, and 1/2 t of allspice instead of nutmeg.

Soy flour instead of soy milk powder, as this is what I had on hand. I was afraid the soy flour would give it an off taste, but it was not enough to ruin the taste, thank heaven. The other things I've made w/soy flour
    tasted pretty bad.

2T flax seeds (I'd add more next time)

(If I can find millet flour in this neck of the woods, I'd make it with that next time and then alternate between buckwheat and millet, or maybe mix the two)

The resulting batter was dense and gooy. I plopped it in gobs onto cookie pan, then with greased hands flattened it out to completely cover pan.

I think my oven was a bit too hot, so I'd set it lower next time.

It is tasty, chewy and very filling as promised. I just started eating it day before yesterday, so don't know how it will go. It does curb my appetite as promised in the
    e-mail bid for my $20 which sent me to meta-search engine
    mamma.com, knowing in my heart that someone would have posted the recipe for free!

• Nathan
    23 years ago

OK, let me get this straight... you all say the recipe for $20 is a scam (and I'm quite sure of it too), but some of you posted recipes and you say that they taste chewy and make you lose your appetite and all that JUST LIKE IT SAYS IN THE SCAM. So, ARE your recipes really like that? I'm sort of confused. But I sure HOPE it's true. Please someone help me out.

• Mag One
    23 years ago

There seem to be 2 different recipes. One is from Sweden, costs $20, and is a sweet Hungarian yeast raisin bread, not a diet bread, though they advertise it that way. ("Hunza" is the Hungarian word for "raisin")

The other is a millet/whole grain bread that seems to work as an appetite suppressant, costs $7, and is from New York State.

The DIET recipe is the whole grain bread, and you only eat 3 or 4 pieces a day. Some say it works, some don't have much luck. Guess it depends on the individual. I'm trying it, have been at it 8 days now, and have been eating less, but not as dramatic as they say in the ads.

• TalkinHard
    22 years ago

In the articles I have read about the Hunza, the bread they use as a staple in their diet is called "chapattis". Chapattis are a stone ground whole-wheat pancake. There are only two ingredients in the Chapattis, which are stone ground whole-wheat and water. They are rolled out flat about 2" in diameter and cooked on hot griddle. They look like miniature flour tortillas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chapter XIV: The Food of the Hunzas

• Carol Baudat
    22 years ago

After getting the email and thinking "if sounds too good to be true, it usually is", I went insearch of it and found you guys, I will try the above recipe, sound pretty good.
    My ad was from

Bear Inc.
    583 Kamoku Street
    Suite 2903
    Honolulu, HI 96826

Maybe it the Hawaiian version? Think it may have some pinapple instead of raisins? LOL.
    Thanks fro the recipes!!!
    Let me know if it works, I'll make and do the same!!

Carol

• Carol Baudat
    22 years ago

Just wondering if everyone has had luck finding the ingredients? I haven't. I was wondering if not what did you substitute for each ingredient?

* 4 cups of water (water I got)
    * 3.5 (three & one half) to 4 pounds of natural buckwheat or millet flour ( All I could find was plain ol wheat flour)
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of canola oil (got it)
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of natural unrefined sugar (got it)
    * 16 ounces of honey (Got it)
    * 16 ounces of molasses (got it)
    * 4 ounces of powdered soya milk (half cup) Not sure WHAT this as, but couldn't find ANY powder soy products, got powder milk instead)
    * 1 teaspoon sea salt (Kosher salt work?)
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (got it)
    * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (got it)
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder (non aluminium) (found plain ol baking powder)

Do you think what I got will work?
    Any help would be appreciated, as I'm not a very good cook, but I can follow the recipe if I have the right stuff.

Thanks,

Carol

• Get Real
    22 years ago

Come on everyone! Exercise and a proper diet will
    keep you healthy and fit. Sitting around searching
    the net for some scam-based recipie is NOT going
    to get you to lose weight.

Ladies, let's get rid of the soda, get up out of
    our chairs, drink 6-8 glasses of water per day
    and go for a walk!

• omar
    22 years ago

OK, I found enough recipes. Tried the one that starts out
    with 4 cups water. Too sweet, add water if too stiff to pour.Omit the sugar and cut the honey and molasses by at least 4oz. each and you may end up with a better recipe.
    My openion,
    omar

• omar
    22 years ago

I'm looking for some feed back on results of using this
    bread. Surely there is someone out there that has had more
    experience with using it to lose weight.

sda31@qwest.net

• April Bouchard
    22 years ago

I got the email as well as alot of you. My friend and I found the above recipe here on this site. We found all of the ingredients at our local health food store. I really do eat less. It is not that great to taste but you get use to it. In response to Wilma. Some people do all the right things and still crave sweets. I am not a huge person but a am very busy and don't have the time to cook the right meals all the time and work out every day. I run two to three miles four times a week. This bread has helped give me a little edge.

• Me
    22 years ago

There really is a sucker born every minute. This whole thing is just a scam people. And the bread isn't what's "giving you a little edge", it's called the placebo effect. Eat the same amount of white bread, wheat bread, crackers, etc., and you'll get the same effect.

• Maggie G
    22 years ago

"white bread, wheat bread, crackers, etc." all have, duh, WHEAT in them. This Hunza bread doesn't. Wheat is very bad for somebody trying to lose weight, so says my nutritionist. She says even ONE cracker made with wheat can stop weight loss in its tracks. I usually have the ingredients around anyway, so it is not as if I am spending money I wouldn't otherwise be spending. My nutritionist was very interested in the bread, and said even if it didn't promote weight loss, it is very healthy.

Also, if a person has to go to some effort to do something, they are more likely to benefit. Even if it is a scam, the recipe is free, so why do you care?

• S Reed
    22 years ago

I also got the spam mail. Coincidently I have also been looking into foods that are alkaline due to a stomach ailment I have (acid reflux, heartburn, hiatus hernia). The only grains that are not acid forming are millet, buckwheat and quinoa. Persons concerned with maintaining a healthy alkaline body chemistry should expect some good health benefits from this bread in addition to the other reported diet benefits. Scam or no scam it is unfortunate people try to profit from things that should be shared for the well being of us all.

• sandra
    22 years ago

I must say, reading through all the above messages. This bready really has grabbed peoples attention. Scam or not, it is interesting enough to be even a little curious.
    Although the tears were rolling down my face with laughter with every line read from the infamous e-mail, I admit I have been looking, and still am looking to hear of any positive results from the bread. Anyone???
    But I do agree, the time spent on the net looking up recipies, would be alot better spent walking or doing some more strenuous exercise to burn those calories.

• Dorothy
    22 years ago

Make up your own recipe! The Hunzas grind their flour themselves with small hand-held grinders. They reside in what is called "the land of just enough". Fasting for a portion of the year, because they run out of food is part of their life-style. Make your own nutricious bread. Eat three thin slices a day with no butter or anything else on it. Eat nothing else. You will lose weight. You can accomplish the same thing by eating 3 small potatoes a day with nothing on them, or even 3 bananas.

• Warren Black
    22 years ago

One other major thing I found while looking for the receipe is that they leave out a major piece of information. The water is known as glacier milk (or the water flowing out from under glaciers). The importance of this is that the water contains coloidal material - extremely finely ground minerals. You can also obtain this colodial material from the dead doctors sites (such as http://www.majesticearth-minerals.com/)or from where Doctor Wallach gets it, and relabels it. I can not remember their name - they produce a product known as body toddy. Resold on sites (such as http://www.webdeb.com/ultra.html) but the original manufacturer sells it for about $20 per bottle.

• Bob Allan
    22 years ago

Well thanks all for the recipe(s) and the comments. I am not looking at the bread from a dietary point of view, just as an interesting bread that sounds tasty (or can be made tasty with a little modification), keeps well, and is probably quite nutritious. If it goes well with cheeses and cold meats, then that is going to be a big bonus.
    Sometimes even scams can have beneficial side effects . . hehe.
    All I have to do now is go out and find the ingredients and give it a go.
    Best wishes to you all.

• liz
    22 years ago

Two things of interest...
    There is a Sweden, NY

And the Cinnamon in the recipe is the magic ingredient. It improves insulin resistance which is a factor in developing diabetes. This is documented...when researchers found that apple pies helped their test subject's sugar levels. So just about anything with Cinnamon works. Actually a few other spices have the same effect but Cinnamon is the most active.

• funnygirl
    22 years ago

If you want to lose weight and be in shape, try excercising, and eating PROPERLY--this means eating the proper portions (for example, don't look at the bowl of cereal on the commercial to determine the serving size. Look at the label on the box and measure it out once) and eating foods low in fat and cholesterol (no cheeses, no desserts --those things should only be eaten on rare occasion). Eating a lot of vegetables (not fried or with cheese on top, but fresh or steamed, or even canned. By the way stri-frying adds a lot of fat) drinking a lot of water and eating small amounts of everything else is usually helpful in maintaining a healthy diet. If you are relying on bread to keep your weight down, it won't work. You have got to change you whole eating style--and change it for good! Try eating when you are only TRULY hungry. Many people in the US have no idea what that means. Eat only veggies ( raw or steamed and without any toppings) for one day and you will get hungry. Then eat only until you are NOT hungry. This is different than eating until you are full. If you pay close attention, you will propably find that your body really only needs a small amount of food to function properly. Eating too much actually makes you sluggish and fools you into thinking that you are hungry again when your body does not really require any food. It's hard to change your habits Be determined and it will work. And STAY AWAY from any diet that promises miracles or restricts any food completely. Even thin people eat a junky meal occasionally. Your body does require some fat. This "diet bread" sounds very good taste-wise, but it will probably not give you the results you want, and they will definitely NOT be long term results. Sorry that i went on, but it is sad to me that our nation has not been able to figure out how to be responsible with food. I include myself in that category too--i have my days too. Take your eating habits seriously. Even if it does not increase your life span, i truly think that the quality of your life will be better if you eat right. You will FEEL better if you eat right. Try it!

• Dave Hulsopple
    22 years ago

OK..I followed the recipe that starts out with "4 cups water and buckwheat or millet flour".
    I ended up using 7 and a half cups of water to make it even close to stirrable, but I finally managed it. All the other ingredients I left as listed (it cost me just under $35 for all the stuff to make it).
    I live in Wyoming, so I didn't have to do the second part of the recipe (where you dry it out). The stuff was already dry when I pulled it from the oven.
    I used small pot pie tins, baking tins, and pit tins (I didn't have a cookie sheet with edges) and they seemed to work OK.
    As to the results - well...all I can say is that it *tastes* OK, but the mass of sugars in it have left me feeling more bloated than before I started. I did have more energy, but not enough (nor for as long as the spam message claimed) to justify spending *any* money on.
    I made the stuff last Saturday (today is Monday), and about the only net gain I've seen is that it has given me a bit more energy.
    Otherwise, I would advise any parents with young children NOT to give it to them. I live with my two grandchildren (3 and 5). I have had to peel them off the ceiling they are so amped up...

• JoJoZ
    22 years ago

Did anybody ever heard of a hostile rat ??? hahahahah! (See March 28th post)

Cheers,
    JoJo

• noexcusesthistime
    22 years ago

I just read through all the above messages and I am still left wondering if anyone ever got results - please and thanks.
    Also, to the people who feel it necessary to get on their soapboxes about getting out and exercising, eating right, blah, blah, blah ... please dont jump in to discussions if they are so irritating to you. Save it for another forum and dont be so judgemental. To each his own...

• guy
    22 years ago

Hunza bread uses canola oil. Searching the web for a canola retailer unearthed some worrying information. There is strong evidence to suggest canola is toxic. I'm not here to preach so have a look and make up your own mind (meanwhile I'll substitute another oil)

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on canola safety

• Maggie G
    22 years ago

Re: that article - consider the source. Spectrum is a manufacturer of various oils, and I would bet money that they are losing business to canola. So, they try to discredit it by advertising to gullible people, instead of adding it to their line. Dirty trick, but that's business for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canola Oil Safety

• mclairmo
    22 years ago

I just received the Spam Hunza Bread ad for the first time. That led me to this site.
    Come on everyone, use your common sense. The Hunza live so long and are so healthy because their lifestyle is simple, natural and healthy. They get plenty of exercise, eat healthy and are not exposed to the hundreds of chemicals we ingest and inhale. For gods sake, we inject our animals with many many chemicals such as steroids, spray our fruits and vegetables with pesticides, irradiate our foods with microwave ovens and ingest known carcinogens like sugar substitutes. The Hunza likely do not eat nearly as much fat, salt, sugar and chemicals as we do. If their bread does help them at all, it has to be a simple recipe, not one with so many hard to find ingredients. If you, with Vons and Raphs around the corner, cannot scrounge up all those ingredients, do you really believe that the Hunzas did. And, any recipe for bread that claims to be 2000-5000 years old cannot have so many hard to find ingredients. Do you really think someone invented baking powder 5000 years ago? The only recipe that must be legitimate is the one with flour, salt and "glacier milk" found at www.utopiasprings.com/chapatti.htm. If you lived 5000 years ago, this is about as complicated a bread recipe you could come up with, too. Also, it makes sense that the water they have available would contain so many minerals, given the region they live in. Finally, if all you ate was three pieces of bread per day, I guarantee you'll lose weight. If you eat only three of anything, you WILL lose weight. Common sense people. Use it.

• madman_59
    22 years ago

The recipe for Hunza bread sounds interesting. I hope to make it in the very near future. I will replace the canola oil with Virgin Coconut oil and replace the Soy with Barley flour. I too have read that canola is not as safe as we are lead to believe. I have also been reading information indicating that soy can be toxic as well. I will try to list URL'S for these sites later. And yes, Virgin Coconut oil is safe.

• sweetazberrez
    21 years ago

Stone Ground Chapatti Diet Bread

Typical Hunza Bread is made fresh each day from stone ground grains, primarily, wheat, barley, buckwheat and millet.
    (Note nice stamped designs in several of the loaves)
    These delicious flat unleavened breads are an important part
    of a nutritious diet of grains, fruits, dried fruits, and veggies.
    They drink substantial amounts of "Glacial Milk" which is milky colored
    water fresh melted from base of glaciers, rich in rock flour and minerals.

A Typical Hunza Chapatti Bread Recipe Is Kamali:

2 cups of stone ground whole wheat flour, or mix of flours
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable salt or iodized sea salt
    (Although they have rich mineral diet,
    iodine is rare away from marine locations and fish.)
    1/4 to 1 cup glacier milk

Blend flour and salts together. Stir in just enough water to make a very stiff
    dough. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic.
    Cover with a wet cloth, set aside for 30 minutes. Break dough into one inch balls.
    Roll into very thin rounds, about 8 inches in diameter. Bake for 10 minutes on a hot
    lightly greased griddle over a low heat. Turn often. Makes 20 Chapattis.

A typical Hunza Millet Bread Recipe:

1 cup Millet flour
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon vegetable salt/iodized salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 eggs

Combine in Bowl: Flour carrots oil honey and salt. Mix well, then stir 3/4 cup
    of boiling hot water into the mixture. Beat the egg yolks well adding 2 tbs. of
    cold water, continue to beat and then add to the mixture. Fold in stiffly beated
    eggs and bake in a hot oiled pan at 350oF for about 40 minutes.

• aliciakeltner
    21 years ago

Just got the spam...from Sweden. The names were "Lotta" (wife) and "Lars" (husband/researcher). Hmmm...sounds like "lotta liars" to me!

Anyway, I am not overweight at all, but do live healthy. The last 13 weeks I was on the "Body for Life" program by EAS...consisting of Myoplex shakes (protein), healthy meals (6 small meals a day), 100+ oz. water a day and exercise. Surprisingly, I lost 10lbs! (went from 112 lbs to 102) I really didn't think I could/needed to lose any weight, but I did. Some people think the 2-3 shakes I had a day was weird, but it provided my body with the nutrients and protein it needed to build/maintain muscle and keep my body from eating the muscle it was trying to build.

Before I started this program, I would come in to work and not even eat until 1pm. Some people think that skipping meals will help lose weight...it might not add any extra fat or sugar to your diet, but not eating anything is often worse than eating. Your body will eat away at your muscle and your metabolism will go into starvation mode and hold onto all fat you put into it...thinking it might need it to survive later on. Because of that, I would NOT recommend only eating 3 bananas a day (see some peoples emails above), or 3 of only one anything a day.

Perhaps this bread does offer the nutrients your body needs to maintain itself, which is much better than starving it. It would be a great thing to have in the morning rather than skipping breakfast. But I would not make up a diet solely of bread.

Also, the person who said "Wheat is very bad for somebody trying to lose weight...even ONE cracker made with wheat can stop weight loss in its tracks" is RIDICULOUS! Maybe if you are sitting on your butt hoping that not eating a few things will be the miracle to help you lose 10 lbs...but in reality, wheat bread, crackers, ect. have more protein, fiber, and nutrients than those without. Your muscles crave protein and nutrients and once you activate and build muscle, you will burn a TON more fat/calories than by just altering your diet a bit. I'm not saying become a musclehead (I am not one at all), I am just saying that wheat is very healthy AND will help you burn fat...lose weight.

It's kinda like those people who think if you drink 120 oz. of water in a day you will be retaining a lot of water, but in actuality, if you try this, you will feel much thinner at then end of the day...your shoes won't feel so tight and your wedding ring might even spin around your finger. Try it sometime...ps, the more you do it the less you have to run to the bathroom, your body gets use to it.

And finally, why would you think the only recipe that makes sense is the flour, salt & water only one. 2,000 years isn't THAT long ago. Remember the Bible stories and the last supper picture (no, I am NOT a Bible thumper, just making an observation). They had bread back then...and it isn't suprising that they learned to add nuts, dates, raisins, or spices to bread. ...

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm