Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Wanted: Southern Recipes...Low -fat, sugar-free

Posted by bowdoin514 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 12:36

Hello,
At age 42, I have already had 2 heart attacks within the last 2 weeks, and am a long-time type II diabetic. I love the typical Southern foods (except fish!), and was wondering if anyone has recipes or a website that would inspire me. I know, Southern food without fat & sugar??!! Is there such a thing??!! I appreciate ANY help here!
Emma in SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Wanted: Southern Recipes...Low -fat, sugar-free

All I can tell you is that there is no one more southern than me...I thought all all veggies tasted like bacaon fat or fat back....and I never ever believed that I would like any food except the true southern foods...but I started slowly and instead of one quater cup of bacon fat, I added less and less and one day I woke up and realised that all those veggies had a taste of their own.surprise surprise....just do it a little at a time....and try this website........I found it at the Special Diet forum..

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Foods

o

Hi Emma--sorry to hear about your health problems, but congrats to you for deciding to change your diet and FIGHT BACK!

I skipped the heart attacks (*crosses fingers*) but was diagnosed with diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol 2 1/2 years ago. At first I tried just living like I always had (I'm a Mississippi girl :) and taking the meds, but I felt awful, so I started experimenting.

I bought a book called _Reversing Diabetes_, and it HAS reversed mine. I've lost 50 pounds and come off ALL my meds. You want high (complex) carbs and fiber, low fat and protien (hard on those kidneys!).

SOOO--I relearned to cook by taking a favorite food and playing with it. Cornbread? It's already whole grain (especially if you don't use the cornmeal "mix"), so use fat-free buttermilk in place of whole-fat regular milk and just spray your skillet with some olive oil in a spritzer. You'll still get the crispy crust, but with LOTS less bad stuff.

As Ruthieg says, go a bit at a time. Soon you'll not only automatically make the healthy changes, but you'll actually LIKE the food better.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

o

So how are you doing? I keep coming back to see if you have returned or commented...are you making the changes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here