Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Alternative to canola oil needed

Posted by guybuk (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 02 at 10:48

I have read the recipe for Hunza bread. I want to make the bread but I am having difficulty getting all the ingredients particularly the Canola oil.

I live in England and I have only located one shop that has even heard of it (and they cannot get it). It seems very unlikely I will ever be able to get it.

Can anyone suggest an alternative that might be ok ? I wondered if I could use Olive oil or even Sunflower oil or walnut oil maybe sesame oil, which do you think is most similar ?

Any suggestions or guesses would be very welcome, I simply don't have a clue as I cannot find anyone who has ever seen it yet alone used it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Alternative to canola oil needed

You could probably use any vegetable oil in place of Canola. I am not sure what Hunza Bread is, but I use olive oil (2 Tablespoons) in my Italian Bread. If it calls for a lot of oil, like a 1/4 cup or more than I would not use the olive oil as it imparts more of a flavour than other vegetable oils, such as sunflower.

Ann.

o

Canola has a very mild flavor so I would choose a light vegetable oil or something similar.

o

Sunflower or safflower oil are good substitutes.

o

Sunflower oil is the most like canola oil but Hunza Bread isn't originally made with it, so I imagine any low cholesterol oil would work. I don't know why you can't find canola oil since it's readily availble in nearly all grocery stores.

o

Have you tried looking in the Food Court at Harrod's? Any canola oil there will be well over-priced I would imagine, but you could check out the brands and compare them with what is available at your local Sainsburys (or wherever).

o
canola is gm so not sold in uk

Thanks for all your guesses for where to get canola oil.

However Canola Oil is NOT AVAILABLE in the UK.

Canola is a "GENETICALLY MODIFIED" product and has NOT been granted an import licence.

I'm not (yet) convinced that it's safe for human consumption. Read the info (link below) and you decide .....

Here is a link that might be useful: worrying information about canola oil

o

Agree with guybuck, none of us should be using canola oil. I never had trouble with my cholesterol until I started using it. Use peanut oil, corn, safflower oil instead for low cost alternatives. Sesame and walnut are tasty, but expensive.

o

Cholesterol is found in 'animal' products......meat, cheese, eggs, ice cream, etc. Canola Oil is made from the rapeseed.

o

Canola is rapeseed oil so you might try looking for that but any of the lighter oils suggested should work.

Canola = Canada oil

o

sorry salena I missed your post :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Special Diet Recipes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here