Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Body Butter

Posted by jkasch (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 05 at 20:50

I made a batch of body butter, first time last night. I used 16 oz of Soya Skin Butter, 2 oz Mango butter and 2 oz of Avacado Oil, melted it all down and then let it cool. Whipped it until it was very creamy, added my fragrance oil, and then put it in the bottles. But, today when I went to check it it is hard and not creamy. I want creamy body butter. Does any one have a good recipe for a creamy body butter, or could you tell me what I am doing that is wrong here. Should I add more Oil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Body Butter

I have had this happen to me. It seems that after it sits overnight or for 24 hours, it sets up a lot harder than what you originally thought. I always just melt mine back down and add some more oils or cream, wait a couple of days, then check it. It is just a matter of trial and error for me.
Susan

o

Thank you Susan for your reply.

Since I want to give this to my sisters in law for Christmas and this is the first time that I have made this I am not sure what "cream" I should add. What would you suggest. I am running out of time. Or, do you have a better recipe. Any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas
Julie

o

I use a ready-made, unfragranced lotion base to make my lotions, and I have added some of that to the body butter. That way, you are getting a creamier texture without over-doing the oils. I would think any lotion could be added (I whip mine into it) but if it is a fragranced lotion, it would throw off the fragrance of your body butter.
Susan

o

On body butters it should be 60% butter, 40% oil, or is that for whipped butter?

o

I really don't know what the ratio is, as I just go by the way it feels and if it is the consistancy that I want it. I make a lot of whipped shea butter, and I don't add anything to it, just melt it down and whip it to make it lighter and fluffier and easier to spread.
Susan

o

Susan, you melt the butter first? I have only tried it one time, I took the butter added some rosehips oil and mixed it with my mixer for a long time, (about a 1/2 hour) It was great stuff, but I thought it was a little lumpy, is melting it the key?

o

Yes, I melt mine comletely down, then as it is cooling I whip it. Now, this may take a whole day, because the shea sets up slowly. As it cools more and sets up more, I whip it again with my hand mixer. It requires patience. But, I don't like adding extra oils to it because that makes it too greasy for me. If I want it to be creamier, I add lotion. The lotion gives it a creamier texture without the added greasiness.
Susan

o

Susan, I made a new batch of body butter yesterday and it turned out wonderful! Thank you so much. Here is what I did. I mixed together hemp oil, evening primrose oil and rose hips oil to equal 1/3 cup. I took 2/3c shea butter and melted it with my oils. I started whipping it as you suggested, of and on while it cooled. I am so pleased!!!I can feel the wrinkles coming off my face! LOL I think I am going through mid-life crisis,I'm turning 50 next year, I have been so busy with my kids & family over the years, it just dawned on me I'm gonna turn 50! OMG! I need all the anti-aging stuff I can get. Thanks again

o

Glad I could be of help. It sounds wonderful! I, too, have "older" skin, LOL, and I love the shea butter.
Susan

o

For a great lotion bar I add 4 ounces of cocoa butter, 4 ounces beeswax, 4-5 ounces of oil such as oilive, sunflower or sweet almond, 3 teaspoons of essential oil or fragrance oil and 1 cap. of vit 3. I let mine set for about a week after removing it from the mold and it's awesome, so great for the skin. Keep away from warm temperatures so it won't melt.

o

Sounds Wonderful, thanks for the tip. How do you package it? I've read where they package it in tins, but they are so expensive. I would like to make them to sell at the Farmer's Market, it's outdoors and gets hot. Think adding a little more wax would solve the melting issue?

o

yes water in things like this REQUIRES a preservative.

o

whay type of perservative do yo use and the amount
for lotions or butters with water in it

o

I don't make lotions and butters.
I use "butters" in lotion bars and lip balms.
But I don't make anything with water in it.

Brambleberry and Oregon Trails Soap Supply both have great informative sites.

o

For preservative - good preservatives for lotions and things of this nature are Germaben II and Phenonip. Only use .3 to 1.0% total in your product, depending on the weight of the lotion. You could also use PerForm, a paraben-free preservative.

o

Thank you for your helpful page! I am a first timer at at making body butter's & I am gathering supplies currently. Is 1 part liquid oil to 2 parts solid oils the approx. proportions for a basic recipe as mentioned by athena. Ingredients are costly & I would hate to waste them. This one question seems difficult to pin down, I want to make a larger batch to share & most recipes are all over the place with amounts. Also I have seen many recipes where they add cornstarch to make product less greasy, do you have any idea of how much to add, to say like 1/3 cup oil to 2/3 cup harder solids? Is there a really good book you could recommend? Also where to find a good lip gloss recipe? Much appreciation in advance? Thank you , Lola :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here