Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about bar lotion

Posted by just1morehosta (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 14:37

Hi every one, I have been lurking,and have read the posting about the bar lotion, which i found to be very helpful.
My question is tis,
Can you make a lotion with out using cocoa, or shea butter,will any "butter" work?
Thank you for your help,i am so happy i found tis site.
cAROL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about bar lotion

I don't make these but this is a start for you.

What you need is a lye calculator.

These can be found on the web, either free or purchased; I have a purchased one, try "MountainSage".

There (or anywhere else that has a lye calculator) you can put in which ever butter you'd like to use. It's personal preference really.

You'll may need a mentor, till you get the hang of superfatting etc.

Coconut and Shea butters are common favourites for those who make these bars.

o

If I understand you, your goal is to make lotion bars, not soap. Assuming I am correct, there is no need for the lye calculator. And any butter you like will work. However, butters vary in texture, so that will affect the finished product. You will have to experiment a bit to see how different butters feel.

o

Thank you guys, and yes, i will be making lotion,not soap.How will i know how much butter to use,do i still need the calculator?
I thought it was equal amounts of each, say,2 oz,2 oz,2 oz,plus a wax,about 5 oz.Is this right?
Carol

o

No need for the calculator. I use equal parts oil, beeswax & butter, by weight. I get a pretty good result.

o

UYep,

Sorry a misunderstanding on my part; I read bar and immediately connected it to soap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here