Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid Lotion Recipe

Posted by soap2go (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 03 at 8:51

Hello All, I am a newbie here.

I recently made some solid lotion bars, the recipe I used made an incredibly hard bar but I adapted it and it's now become the best seller at a local farmers market that I attend. I wondered if anyone knows of any other similar recipes?

I used:
equal weight measures of:
sweet almond oil
coconut oil
cocoa butter
beeswax

then added Jasmine essential oil (absolute but blended 6% in Jojoba oil)

I didn't do the stages, just shoved it all in a bowl, added the jasmine after it had all melted together & poured it into the soap moulds.

I have been suggesting people keep one by their sink so that when they have washed their hands & dried them, they rub a little on rather than a hand lotion. It is truly amazing stuff and lasts ages... best of all... it's so easy that even a muppet like me can make it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid Lotion Recipe

Hi,
My lotion bars a huge seller as well, people where I live cannot get enough of them. Yeah!!!!!

My recipe:

This makes 6 1 oz bars

1oz Sweet Almond Oil
1oz Beeswax
1/2 oz Shea Butter
1/2 oz Cocoa Butter
A pinch of Jojoba Sheres (for color if you want to add color, this is optional)
Melt down, cool for a few then add what ever fragrance you desire)

These bars are yummy, just the right consistency, not to greasy, not to hard. My most recent hot seller was Pumpkin Spice.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Elle

o

Correction, the above recipe makes 3 bars I double, triple etc for more bars

o

Do you guys just make bars out of them? I've put them in the deodorant looking containers before but don't sell well that way. Thought that would be better for travel bars but they tend to melt when they get left in a hot place.
mary

o

I make round bars out of them and put them in a round 2" tin, mine sell like hot cakes. I get the tins from WSP. I make them in a muffin tin because I have not been able to find the right size mold to suit the size I am making.

Other people I have seen put in the deodorant containers do not seem to sell many. I don't know why, people seem to like the tins.

I have not had any melt thus far but I always tell people not to keep in car or direct sunlight etc.

I can't keep these in stock, it doesn't matter how many I make I always need more.

Good Luck!
Elle

o

Elle,
That is a good idea about the tins. I made some in those lotion bar containers and I don't like the looks of them (and I guess my customers don't either because they don't sell). To me, they look too much like deodorant. What size tins did you buy from WSP for these? How come you just don't pour it directly into the tins to cool instead of using the muffin pan?
Susan

o

You have to put in a mold because the whole idea is for them to be able to turn the tin over and pop the bar right out of the tin so they can actually handle it and use on body. I make 1oz bars in a muffin tin and put them in a 2" tin from WSP, they fit perfect.

After I melt the butter etc. I add fragrance then I put the tin on my scale and measure out an ounce of oil into each muffin round.

I let them sit for a little while until they are set then I stick in freezer for about 10 minutes so they pop right out of the muffin tins. I let them sit for a few then transfer to the 2" tins. I put a 1 1/2 inch round label on them when done.

You probably already know this, if you want colored bars use jojoba beads (just a little) for color.

OK, Good luck!!!

Elle

o

I usually use food coloring for color, but recently I have seen several people mention using jojoba beads for color. I was always under the impression that they were hard little things- do they melt?
Susan

o

Yes, the Jojoba beads melt, I got a combo pack somewhere and they last forever. You add them to your lotion bar mixture before melting.

FYI-you cannot use food coloring or liquid color if you are putting in tins, they will rust. I am surprised your lotion bars turned out with the food coloring, when I first starting making them I added liquid color and they were a mess, the liquid color and oils seperated etc.

I even add pearly fine body glitter to one of mine, it is one of my best sellers.

Well, good luck with the lotion bars.

Do you by any chance have a salt scrub recipe that is thick instead of laying in oil. I am working on one right now, not as easy as I thougt.

Elle

o

I don't know what I was thinking about- I have never colored any of my lotion bars, but I do use food coloring for anything else that needs color. I have never tried a salt scrub yet, although I have thought about making them. I guess I haven't made any because they just don't sound like something I would want to use. I know that doesn't make sense, but you know how it is when you don't like something but everyone else does, but still you never cook it or whatever. LOL. I sure didn't know jojoba beads would melt though. I may try some of them sometime.
Susan

o

Hi all, I stumbled upon your site in a google search, after trying a solid lotion bar. My daughter wants to give these as little gifts to the many people she deals with over Christmas. Where on earth do you buy the ingredients for these things?
Sweet Almond Oil
Beeswax
Shea Butter
Cocoa Butter
Jojoba Sheres
Do craft stores like Michaels have them? I have googled and froogled and find products with them IN them, but not the product itself. Any help appreciated! thanks,
Nancy

o

I purchase mine from on-line industry suppliers. The two I use mostly are kangarooblue.com and Wholesale Supplies Plus.
Susan

o

I bought some plastic sample containers, could these be used to house the lotion bars?

o

Are these the Solo "deli" containers?

I don't see why not.

I use 4oz flat tins from SpecialtyBottle.com.

o

Oh and I pour directly into the tins. When the bars cool, they will pop out when the tin is tipped over.

o

Soap2Go...
Believe it or not, I'm actually looking for a "too hard" recipe for massage bars - most are too soft for me, and with summer coming up fast I'd like something with a bit more hardness. Do you still have that original recipe that you thought was too hard?

Thanks, Carol

o

more beeswax, less oils. I'd actually replace some butters with the oils and leave the wax the same.

o

Hi folks.I just stumbled onto your board while looking for a way to use up my lotion.I have several bottles of expensive lavender body lotion that I can't use.(My skin is very sensitive to alcohol & fragrance.)I had never heard of lotion bars 'til I found you.Does anyone know if I can use my lotion to make lotion bars?Could I just mix the lotion & some beeswax,& pour into molds?Any advice would be greatly appreciated!Thanks.

o

It would still have the things in it that you say irritates your skin. I'd just gift the lotion to someone else and start from scratch.

With a little research, you can learn what oils and items that would benefit your skin, and make lotion bars.

o

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, and am starting a small retail business selling candles and natural beauty products that I create. My question is to elle110,or anyone else who sells these things, How much do you charge for your lotion bars and how do you figure the pricing? cause I'm somewhat stummped... I want to make a decent profit, but I don't want to over charge people. A little help pleeeease! Thanks!

o

Shammi,
I paid $7 for a lotion bar (in a cute, round tin) while on vacation on the carribbean island of Anguilla. At the time, I thought it was a great price

o

I sell mine in a 4oz flat tin for $5.

Figure out your costs per item, and times it by 3 or 4. 4 is ideal, but somewhere in between 3 and 4 tims the cost is usually where I put my prices.

o

Terri & bswarner, thank you soooo much for the pricing info! It was a huge help.

o

Is there anything I can use in place of the sweet almond oil? I have grape seed oil.

o

I am so glad to have found these recipes, since my husband does bees and I have wax. Thank you. I loved the lotion bars that I have tried!

o

Ellen, I know this is way late, but it might help others. You can sub any 'body' safe oil.
I like to use a combo of oils most of the time.

o

Thank you Terri you timing worked out well as I have been off line for some time, thank you for your help. I have many more questions do you make soap too?

o

No I do not make soap.

o

Hi all i also found you from the henna tribe page. so far bought the bee's wax, is 5.99 a lb a good price, having a hard time on the coco butter but i did find one. can you tell me a good price for what size, if i can find a mold big enough i want to use those. when you say you put an 1oz per batch, i do henna and they sell it for a balm to protect them, also for hand lotion,in a bar. A size that would fit in a purse would be nice. how much do you make in a batch for an ounce of eo's, we use them in henna and can get pretty pricey for an ounce. Well nice to be here.

Diane

o

Someone asked about a salt scrub recipe. I have a recipe that isn't perfect yet but it's close. I've been selling bath salts and found that if you don't add water, the salt scrub doesn't solidify into a chunk. Here's what I stumbled onto:
4 C Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate -good stuff for your body, don't substitute!)
1 C Sea Salt (optional and exchangable for any sort of salt)
1/2 TBS Jojoba Oil
1/2 TBS Sweet Almond Oil
1/4 TBS Vitamin E Oil
20 drops fragrance -remember that essential oils are more potent!
6 drops liquid coloring

This recipe doesn't stay "wet". It will feel like beach sand. Simply put a teaspoon (or perfered amount) into your hand, wet under the faucet then scrub!

The oils can be mixed and matched to personal preference. Remember that different oils leave different feelings on your skin. For example, olive oil is the closest you can get to your natural skin's oils but it takes a long time to soak in so you feel like a greased pig for a while. I like my combo becuase it doesn't sit in a grease pot -it actually feels like sand to the touch. Once you put your hands under water and scrub, you can feel the oils working into your skin. After I've dried, I have the same sensation as just putting on my favorite hand lotion. You can touch paper etc after using this product because there are no mineral oils. (I'm sure I don't need to tell this group why mineral oils are terrible!)

I'd love feedback on anyone who tries the recipe!

Sabrina

o

Hi, I'm new here. And I've never made solid lotion bars before, but I really want to try!

My question is: if you make the bar and realize it's too soft or too hard, can you melt it back down and add more ingredients?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

o

I'm new at the lotion bars also. I made my first batch last night and was disappointed that they were so soft. Now I see that I need to have approximately equal amounts of the soft oils/butters and the hard ones. I re-did mine this morning with more beeswax, but it still was not enough. I am going to re-melt and add even more beeswax.

o

Yes you can remelt and add more beeswax, or melt the beeswax down, and then add the other batch in and melt just til soft and liquidy.

o

Until it's cool.

o

would anyone agree that perfume solids and scented lotion bars are similar if not the same. Im trying to figure this out so that i can create my product line , i dont want to sell the same product .help

o

Hi, I found this website and was wondering if you could tell me with the shea butter which one do I you use? I found a site to purchase it from and they have pour and melt or natural. I have also found some other recipes that don't call for the shea butter what is the bene of it? Thank you in advance.

o

April, IMO, I like my perfume "solid" softer. And lotion bars firmer. Really though a solid perfume and a lotion bar can have the same ingredients, just different proportions.

Bobbi, I've not heard of the pour and melt Shea.
I prefer to use other butters in place of Shea. Two of my favorites are Aloe Butter and Mowrah Butter.
You can interchange butters for each other in recipes. Find a butter you like and try it out.
Cocoa butter is a firmer butter. The Aloe and Mowrah are a soft butter, I'd say that Shea is in between in firmness. I also like Virgin Coconut Oil. It's closer to a butter than regular Coconut Oil.

o

newbie wondering how y'all would incorporate herbs into your lotions? do you use the finely chopped product, or a tincture/extract? if you use the extract--is it a water ased or vinegar, glycerine or alcohol based extract? anyone make these themselves? also approximately how many drops of essential oils do you use for a typical lotion bar?

thanks for help with my relentless questions!!
'toast

o

For solid lotion, I use equal parts by weight of shea butter, jojoba oil and beeswax. For a 2-3 oz bar, I add 1 tsp (5 ml) essential oil.

I am not a seller, just making things for personal use, but I am pretty pleased wit the results. If you are using molds to make bars, silicone muffun pans are great for this. It is really easy to get bars (or soaps) out.

o

Hi - I have been making lotion bars for myself and family, but would like to sell some at a local craft show - do I need to add preservatives? Thanks - Lori

o

I'm curious--when putting fragrances/essential oils in massage or lotion bars, must you use a carrier such as jojoba oil, or can you be fine with just putting the FOs and EOs straight in te mix as it cools?

Thanks so much!

o

Lori, I use the contents of one vitamin E capsule for preservative function. Cheaper than liquid vitamin E stuff...and totally safe. Works well!

o

Does anyone have a picture of these bars in the tins. I'm sorry but I don't get to go to craft shows so I really can't invision what they look like. So you just rub them on your hands after you wash your hands? Sounds neat!

o

Can someone please tell me the difference between refined and unrefined shea butter? There seems to be quite a price difference and I don't want to invest a lot in the wrong thing. Thanks!

o

Marthaclaudette, the simple fact is unrefined has much more "skin" healing value. But my favorite butters are Mowrah and Aloe in place of Shea and Cocoa Butter.

Arkansas Girl, I'll try and remember to a picture and post it.

Roxy, yes the fo or eo, goes into the "mix" after oils, butters and wax are melted together.

o
the look of aloe and avocado butter

was hoping someone could tell me if aloe and avocado butter are supposed to be 'liquid' ? I ordered these 2 and palm oil and they came in the 2lb clear tubs with screw tops - which when they came were all over the place, but after a week in my pantry, they are each partly solid, partly liquid...If I try to shake them up to combine the oil, it looks like melted butter with solid small chunks floating around....does this sound right?? sure doesn't look right :-)

thanks!

o

I keep all my butters and oils in the fridge..so they are all solid.lol.they all have different "melt" points.
My Aloe butter doesn't take long to soften and liquify at room temp though.. Unless you are making a ton and going through alot, I'd put them all in the fridge..other wise they will go rancid.

o

Hi All!

I am just wanting to get into making lotion bars. I live in Northern Arizona - all items shipped to me MUST pass thru Phoenix - which is extremely hot right now.

I was just wondering about the butters and do they melt? Is it OK if they do? Any input would be helpful. If it's not OK - I'll have to drive 3 hours to Phoenix to pick up supplies!

UGH!

o
Cream Recipe

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone has a good lotion or cream recipe that is not greasy? I've tried a million different recipes and I just can't get something that is not too greasy. Thanks a lot.

o

I am new here and hope someone can help me. I make soy candles and bath salts. I am seeking a recipe for a massage candle. The only thing I can find out is that they are made with a lip balm, lotion base. Does anyone have a recipe? Thanks for any help you may provide.

o

skeeter- I made lotion bars last year for my clients for christmas- they turned out great.
I purchased my ingredients from a local place here in Scottsdale. I bought my ingredients about this time last year and everything was fine. I had them shipped too.

here's a photo http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=garden009rn9.jpg

The labels could have been fancier but I gave a couple of bars to each client with some magic gloves and packaged them with ribbon..plus I'm not real hot with graphics.

I did a lot of research for ingredients and recipes. Kelly at Soapy Supplies was wonderful to deal with. She returned emails promptly and was very knowledgable. Superior customer service!

this is my recipe and my supplier list

The recipe I used to make the lotion bars-
5oz of beeswax
4oz of sweet almond oil
2oz of cocoa butter
2oz of shea butter
1 capsule of vitamin E oil
3 teaspoons of essential or or less.

I just used a food scale to measure the oil, wax and butters. Pour the measured ingredients into a bowl and microwave it until it's melted..maybe stirring it a little.
Don't add the essential (fragrance oil) until after you've melted the measured ingredients. Some essential oils have a low flash point so you don't want to microwave them.
Be sure to stir the mixture after you add the essential oil and then pour it into the molds.
It was cool outside when I made mine so I would take it outside and let it cool.
If you try to rush it by putting them in the freezer/refrigerator they could crack or get moisture spots. Sometimes it takes a while to cool. If they're warm at all, they'll stick to the mold.

After one batch make sure your pour is right and the bars fit in the tins. I had to pour my flower molds a little "short" otherwise the tops hit the lid on the tins.

Super easy. I purchased blank, white round sticky labels on ebay and then printed them on my printer. If you have a laser printer you could make really nice clear labels.

The molds came from 3dmolds.com
http://www.3dmolds.com/mini-molds/index.php
Any guest soap mold or mini mold will work. The more detail there is in the mold, the higher the chance that pieces of the bar will get stuck in the mold when you remove it.

The tin containers are from here..
https://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=227
.32 a piece if you order 145 or more.

I purchased the almond fragrance and the oatmeal fragrance from here
http://www.sweetcakes.com/default.php?cPath=15
However, the most popular fragrance by far was the green tea & cucumber. I purchased that at JoAnns. It comes in tiny little bottles and it was expensive. If you can find a refreshing scent through sweetcakes.com it would be a lot cheaper.

Raw materials
Beeswax beads natural 10 lbs
shea butter 3 lbs
cocoa butter white 3 lbs
Sweet Almond oil one gallon (which doesn't have a scent..I assumed it would have an almond fragrance..it doesn't)

http://www.soapies-supplies.com/shop/

I think I ended up with about 265-280 lotion bars. I lost track of how many I made and just went by the number of tins I used...but I also gave away some bars that weren't in tins.

The molds hold a little over 1oz of lotion and the tins are 2oz tins.

o
massage candle

As far as the massage candle goes-
I found this recipe.
I have NOT tried it. I plan on mixing and trying in the next week or so...
3 ounces of Soy Wax
5/8 Ounce of Shea Butter
.25 ounce of Coconut Oil
.25 Sweet Almond Oil

Place wick into tin securely. Melt the above ingredients, scent with your favorite scent and then pour into containers. These are great.

I don't know what kind of wick to use. I think wicks have different temperatures so I'm clueless here.
Still researching...
I've seen more warnings than anything else. I plan on including a label that says "don't pour the hot wax directly on your skin- blow the flame out, let it cool a bit then scoop the warm wax out." Also- that it's not meant to be a candle..that it's a solid lotion with a warming wick...all that stuff. I'm not selling them, I'm making them as gifts for my clients..but I'm still very careful about the liability issue. I have insurance but I still don't want to get sued!

o

Hi Everyone, Just joined this wonderful site. Found it while looking for lotion bar recipes. Thanks for all the help. Today I bought all my oils and butters from my local food co-op. Most of the oils came from uncleharrys.com. Though, after looking at the sites prices, I got a better deal at the co-op. Uncleharrys prices aren't bad and he has a huge selection.
Dale

o

Is the solid lotion still selling well? What companion items do you sell? And how do you sample the solid lotion? I'm new to this, so any help is much appreciated.

o

I was working on a recipe that didn't involve Beeswax. I want to thank you all first for helping me to learn a little bit more about the kinds of ingredients typically used.

My modified solid lotion bar - vegetable only.
2 oz Soy Wax
2 oz shea butter
1 oz shea nut oil
20 drops essential. (During my experiment batch it was a purchased blend of tea tree oil & lavender oil)

It feels just solid enough without being too hard, doesn't seem too crumbly and just slightly more oily than a bar I purchased that used beeswax, shea &cocoa butter, almond oil

o

Hi! I am loving this board! I just joined and have a question. I am just getting started in making lotion bars and balms and soaps and such. Does anyone have opinions about whether shea butter or cocoa butter is better for these applications? The shea is a little cheaper, but if the cocoa is better, then I don't mind spending a few dollars more. Is there much of a difference?

o

Someone asked a while back about using moisturizing lotion and mixing it with beeswax, whether that would work.

Since they were skin sensative to their lotion and were advised against it, there was no actual answer. Does anyone know if it is possible.

I have lots of lotions but am hopeless at using them and would prefer to use them as a solid bar.

Thanks

o

Woodenspooncreations, to answer you, either butter will make a nice lotion bar. If unrefined, either will have its own slight aroma. personally I am not crazy about the smell of cocoa butter, but that is just my own preference.(Both are also available in deodorized versions.) Both are good for skin. But I believe the shea butter is higher in Vitamins A & E, which can reduce skin irritation. So I stick to that one.

o

Hello everyone I'm new here from east TN, I have 2 questions, do you make any money making these products, I mean you have to have INS and we have to by the lil containers, and all the ingredients or do you just do it for fun and for gifts?

And also where do you sell your products?

Thanks Pam

o

Without using preservatives, did you notice any trouble with molds growing on the bar? Thanks.

o

I'm glad this thread got bumped up from the dead! I just bought some in a deodorant stick at a flea market..I just love it! What I hate is to get lotion all over my hands when I want to put lotion on my legs! HA! I don't know why but I hate it on my hands unless I need it on my hands, does that make sense? So the stick one is great for me! Now I can make it myself! YEEHAW! :)

o

Thanks for posting those lotion recipes Soap2go and Sabrina. I can't wait to try them out. I like to experiment with attractive packaging and give soap as gifts. I just found a nice place where I can get waterproof labels so that wet hands don't mess up my pretty packaging. I'll post the link below for anyone else that has that problem. I like my soaps pristine. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: waterproof labels

o

I am making my first batch of lotions bars, and was thinking of putting them in small chiffon bags. Will this work or do they have to be in something solid?

o

I use soy was, shea butter, emu oil, jojoba oil, to make by lotion bars. I work in healthcare, gave one to a Dr. friend and he now sends patients to me to get lotion bars. I give the doc one every Christmas.

o
Help with solid lotion container

Hi there folks! I'm new here but am so happy to see there are others out there trying their hand at making solid lotions! I recently purchased some cute little push up containers for solid lotions. They are like a large clear tube with a screw on cap. After my melted ingredients have been poured into the container, they set up every time with a hole going straight down through the center. Is my mixture too hot??? Any suggestions?

o

It may be. The cooler it is, when you pour, the smoother the top will be.

o

hello all, I was intrigued when I found this forum post...I've never heard of solid lotion. I love the idea, btw. I was looking for a recipe for my own lotion and found this. I was wondering if anyone knows the sugar content in these recipes. My search is to find a recipe for lotion that diabetics can use without having to worry about absorbing the sugar and that smells great. The diabetic lotions that are on the market don't smell good and most don't want to buy them. Any thoughts?

o

Solid lotions don't have any sugar in them.

o

thank you,
now researching the best price for the ingredients so I can make them, can't wait to try it

o

does anyone have a recipe that doesn't contain beeswax for solid lotion bars???

o

You can substitute soy wax for the beeswax. It will make a softer bar.

o

I just made a lotion bar and while the essential oils smelled great when I first applied it, they wore off very quickly. Is this normal? Any way to get the scent to linger longer?

o

someone had mentioned putting sparkles into the bar. how did you get them to suspend in the bar instead of settle at the bottom?

o

Hi. I found this forum while researching new recipes for my product line. I just wanted to add that a local beeswax supplier is cheaper than on-line. I get mine for $1 per lb from a honey vendor in our farmer's market. It is unrefined, and I melt, clean ( through cheese cloth), pour into ice trays, and bag in a zippy.

I was also wondering if the lotion bar is still a hit, haven't seen many here in Michigan. Thanks =)

o

While I love the idea of the lotion bar, what about bacteria? In the best of circumstances, a person washes their hands before using the lotion bar - but even washed hands still can have bacteria/germs on them, which get transferred to the lotion bar, and then colonize that. And we all know people don't always wash their hands before using them. When I see sample bars set out for people to use, unless I am the first person to use it, I say no way!

Is there any ingredient that can be used in the bars that would kill any germs? Otherwise, when I look at those bars, that is all I think - that I am rubbing great oils on my skin, yes, but lots of bacteria too.

o

Hi redturtle...
i saw your post and using extra virgin coconut oil will help... its a natural disinfectant ... but also great for your skin

o

I am new at making solid lotion. I am wondering if I can use vitamin E oil or olive oil in place of the sweet almond oil? Thanks for any help you can give me.

o

I just started making lotion bars an I'm really enjoying it. I started selling them, but not sure if I'm charging enough. How much are y'all charging? I'm doing 1 for $9 or 3 for $25. Good? Bad? Thoughts please. My lotion bars contain various exfoliants in them. I made a peppermint foot scrub tonight and it's really nice.

Look orward to hearing/reading talks thoughts.

Syd

o

I never thought of lotion bars but am extremely excited for this!!! Do people recommend anything other than beeswax or soy? I am very new to this site and am so looking forward to learning from some very talented folks in here!

o

If you are selling the lotion bars at $9, then I would stick with that. It has been a while since I have sold my products but your price seems to be fair.

o

Ok so let me start by saying I am already addicted to this site! I am a new soaper/soapee lol and I have already learned a lot about lotion bars.

@ Chell- I am not sure if the lotion bars are like cold process soap any but the way that I keep the scent on my bars is put a few drops of the essential or fragrance oil on a cotton ball (not on bar) and put in the container with the bar. It seems to bring the smell back out of the bar and keeps it there, :) Hope this works for you!

o

Ok so let me start by saying I am already addicted to this site! I am a new soaper/soapee lol and I have already learned a lot about lotion bars.

@ Chell- I am not sure if the lotion bars are like cold process soap any but the way that I keep the scent on my bars is put a few drops of the essential or fragrance oil on a cotton ball (not on bar) and put in the container with the bar. It seems to bring the smell back out of the bar and keeps it there, :) Hope this works for you!

o

New to this site and very excited about what I am reading. I am looking at making solid hand cream and can't find where to buy the plastic push-up containers to pout cream into...any suggestions?

o

You can get them at Wholesale Supplies Plus. They call them Lotion Bar tubes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get the tubes here.

o

I am as excited as you all are! I am making lotion bars in all shapes and sizes but need help on finding the cheapest place to buy tins? I have been all over the net looking. Any suggestions?

o

Newbie with a question. I stumbled on this thread in search of massage melts. I'm not really interested in making my own as much as curious If i can melt lotion bars in the candle Warmers (bowls on electric base) to make them a warm oil lotion. I've only found one company that sells these and I will probably try those. However I have some bars that where given to me as gifts. I would rather them be warm oil. I have been tempted to cut them to try but wondered what others would think. I've had the candles but would prefer to stick to my no flame candle warmer if it
would work so oil is not as hot. When you cool the candle if you get side tracked while cooling your back to step one. LoL

o

chartrbee2,
on melting them to use as oils.....
what would be the harm to try one? they melt with the heat of your hands so whats so diff about in a warmer. the only thing I see is leaving it melted (hot) for long periods of might diminish the smell ( being that when I make them the mix is removed from the heat before I add essential oils for smell because excessive heat makes the essential oil "break down" or evaporate in a sense)....
I love the bars and use them daily. they are a GREAT seller for us as well. My Dad and I keep bees so I am fortunate to have as much beeswax as I could possibly EVER need.
good luck with testing out the melting use, let me know i do have friends that also are massage therapists ( could be a new avenue for my bars!) LOL

o

I melted a piece of a lush lotion bar last night. It was a little hotter than I thought it would get. I use scentsy wax and the candle wax seems to be a little cooler at that point. I'm not sure which oils are used to make those bars so I will test others. I just let it cool a bit and used it. It seemed to separate oils but worked okay. The thing it seemed best for where my nails. Dipping it in the jar was like a sweet paraffin treatment for them that also absorbed and made them look awesome by morning. Im going to keep experimenting :)

o

I fell in love with a solid lotion bar that I bought at a street fair a couple years back. I have the brochure that lists what she puts in each bar and would like to try it on my own but I don't know the ratios - she used 6 oils, 3 butters & beeswax, and then whatever she put in for scent. Does anyone have any advice on what ratios to start with? Thanks!

o

I use equal part (by weight) of oil, beeswax & butter. So if you want to make a 3 ounce bar, use 1 ounce beeswax, 1 ounce(total weight)oils and 1 ounce (total weight) butters. I just use one type of oil, one type of better and beeswax, because it is a lot simpler and I still get a good result.

o

Hi everyone. I just started making lotion bars at home. I started with a basic recipe of 1 cup coconut oil, 1 cup beeswax, 1/2 cup shea butter, and 1/2 cup cocoa butter. The bars turned out just a bit softer than I would like. I'm trying to perfect the measurements so I can try and sell these in some local shops and markets. Any tips on making the bars a little harder? I read a suggestion of adding more beeswax - do you add just an ounce at a time, or more? Thanks for the help!

o

I suggest measuring your ingredients by weight rather than volume. That alone may solve the problem. Also, I use just beeswax, oil & shea butter and I get a good firm bar that way.

o

Does anyone have a recipe for a lotion bar that does not leave such an oily feeling on your hands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here